Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Classes just started this week for me- and this happened:

In my Philosophy: Moral Questions (undergrad GE) class, the professor wrote the details of the class on the board, as well as "INFP" (was on top) and "ESFP" (below, directly under INFP). I was watching him the entire time, and I recognized them immediately- hoping that I was in the right classroom. He began is "Intro to this class" speech- he was very energetic and entertaining. He asked the class if anyone knew what these letters were, and after waiting a while, I raised my hand and gave him an answer. He then told a very amusing and very brilliant story about how he is INFP, and his brother is ESFP. He then said, "I'm telling you all this so you can understand how I grade. I wouldn't be like my brother and give you a four-page handout on what you must do to get an A. I can't tell you exactly what makes an A paper- but when I see it, I know it. Write me a smart paper."

What do you think an INFP would like to see in a philosophy paper? Is there anything that I should avoid? I figured that he let us know his MBTI type so that we could benefit from it, and I don't know of any other INFPs to question. I also haven't researched in-depth about INFPs. Any advice would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Heh, and being an ISTJ, you would rather that the assignments were given by his ESFP brother, wouldn't you?

The professor is using his MBTI type as an excuse to assign papers like that, even though he knows other MBTI types won't deal well with it. What a tool.

I guess he would like to see you write about some inspiring ideal that would make him feel good. Talk about how you feel about the subject.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Classes just started this week for me- and this happened:

In my Philosophy: Moral Questions (undergrad GE) class, the professor wrote the details of the class on the board, as well as "INFP" (was on top) and "ESFP" (below, directly under INFP). I was watching him the entire time, and I recognized them immediately- hoping that I was in the right classroom. He began is "Intro to this class" speech- he was very energetic and entertaining. He asked the class if anyone knew what these letters were, and after waiting a while, I raised my hand and gave him an answer. He then told a very amusing and very brilliant story about how he is INFP, and his brother is ESFP. He then said, "I'm telling you all this so you can understand how I grade. I wouldn't be like my brother and give you a four-page handout on what you must do to get an A. I can't tell you exactly what makes an A paper- but when I see it, I know it. Write me a smart paper."

What do you think an INFP would like to see in a philosophy paper? Is there anything that I should avoid? I figured that he let us know his MBTI type so that we could benefit from it, and I don't know of any other INFPs to question. I also haven't researched in-depth about INFPs. Any advice would be extremely helpful! Thank you!
lol, kinda agree with the others, almost seems like an egotistical thing to do. but that's not common among us. but regardless, an INFP would like a paper with true effort. If I were a prof and saw that someone put their full effort into a paper, then they get an A. And I would be that there would be lots of A's in my class too, I'd feel bad about giving out low grades:blushed:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
As long as you try, there shouldn't be any problem.

All I'll say is that he will know if you are making what you say up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perhaps he would like for you to pose questions that would require you to delve into complex problems of the spirit or human condition with a clear grappling to understand the issue without assuming to have all of the answers, but still trying to put forth at least an effort towards some open ended conclusions.

I can't read your proffesor's mind but he must have studied some logic if he has a degree in philosophy, so just esoteric mumbo jumbo probably won't cut it. Maybe look up pragmatism, see if that helps in how to present an argument.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts