Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any coders/programmers/hackers out here?

I don't know, I think INFPs make the best programmers (if we dedicate ourselves to one project ;)

N - We see the high level picture; we're not stuck on the details, we don't write nested for loops and if statements, we don't write spaghetti code, specifically because we can't understand it. We create abstractions not necessarily because we're unusually smart, but because that's the only way for us to grok things.

F - We care about how the code feels when you read it, we care about how users feel when they use the product, we want to optimize for happiness -- something that code monkeys can never do.

P - Programming is Art, or at least that's how we see it. We like to explore, we're likely to be using new tools and be at the fore front of technology while the rest are still stuck with their C++ and Java.

I was (and still am) into so many things outside the mainstream. I was following D when everyone was happy with their java, I was writing websites in python when everyone was doing it in php, heck, I'm starting to learn lisp/arc just because I read Paul Graham babbling about it a lot.

I'm surprised to find may programmers who think sticking with "standards" and "best practices" is what we all outta be doing. I find that doing that takes away all the fun.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
Any coders/programmers/hackers out here?.....
I've tinkered around with a lot of html coding, style sheets, scripts, mysql, php over the years. I enjoy messing things up and then fixing it up again. My site exisits solely so I can try different scripts, tear it down and build it back up again. Experiment with this and that and play, play, play.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I used to do a lot of hacking back in the day. Mainly taking over computers and all that, but there wasn't much you could do back in the dial up generation.

I did have access to a large supply of credit cards though, but I morally decided against using it.

------
As for right now, I'm curious about developing a mobile app for either webOS (Palm) or iOS (Apple).

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
We care about how the code feels when you read it
Could you elaborate? How can you 'feel' a code?

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I can't focus well enough to write code, but I can read and edit just about anything. I had lots of fun with the HL2SDK back in the days, and the L2OFF server, too bad most of it is hardcoded. I prefer level design though, I was the one who created the first "lightning howto" in HL1, and I mean lightNing with light and sound effects attached, just by using the hammer tool; holy FPS drop I tell ya. I'll always have level design ideas in my head because I can remember previous places I've been at in person and I can remember maps from other games that I want to alter and make my own / make better. When Natural Selection 2 comes out I got two level design ideas that I'll have to finish, because they were supposed to be created for Natural Selection 1 but the engine couldn't handle the massive amount of details I put into it. If I can't make a round surface with the level editor I'm gonna whine to a model designer until he creates what I want, seriously, I can't stand flaws in my work. I'll spend a good month on one idea until I'm sick of it, I swear if someone could finish off my work I'd have at least 1000 maps out there today in various different games.

Reactions: hasenj

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I dabbled a lot when I was younger, but I always seemed to have trouble making objects move through (2 or 3 dimensional) space properly. Dunno why. :confused:

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
It is like feeling a person. There is a spirit to the code just like the people that wrote it. I can feel the people that wrote the code. And when it is MY code it is like a child in my hands. So beautiful and loving.
I never thought that you could feel such a thing with a simple computer code. Beautiful.:crying:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I never thought that you could feel such a thing with a simple computer code. Beautiful.:crying:
I don't think most people can do that. But have always had that ability. To me programming is an art form if I could do my own thing. But I have to do what they want me to at work. I actually get on a high if get really deep in the code.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I don't think most people can do that. But have always had that ability. To me programming is an art form if I could do my own thing. But I have to do what they want me to at work. I actually get on a high if get really deep in the code.
I should definitely give it a try. The farthest I've been in programming is programming the "Hello, World!" script in Perl :laughing:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I should definitely give it a try. The farthest I've been in programming is programming the "Hello, World!" script in Perl :laughing:
You are on your way with one piece of the puzzel. Just keep adding a bit more knowledge and you will know more than you think before long.

I have done very little in Perl so you may know more than I do in that language. I started studying it a little this year just to see what it is all about. I do most of my programming now in asp.net.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
I definitely have an interest in both (hacking moreso :unsure:), and could probably easily learn how. But I've read that programming languages change a lot. Is it true? Not sure I'd want to relearn something after only a couple years...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I definitely have an interest in both (hacking moreso :unsure:), and could probably easily learn how. But I've read that programming languages change a lot. Is it true? Not sure I'd want to relearn something after only a couple years...
Programming is not for anyone that don't like change and a lot of it. The language changes a lot and really fast. And then too the clients are always wanting something that I have never done before and I have to learn that too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
guys, I didn't mean hacking as in cracking into other people's machines. I meant it in the "programming" way, wp: Hacking (programmer subculture)

For further references:
How To Become A Hacker
Hackers and Painters << a must read ;)
hacker definition in the jargon file

And yes, guys! Code can be ugly and can be beautiful! It can make you feel "WTF!!!" or it can make you feel "WOW!!"

I wouldn't go as far as saying it has a soul of its own .. but yes we do feel attached to our code and it sorta feels like our child :p perhaps it's a sign of a not-so-healthy obsession :crazy:

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I think what can benefit an infp hacker, is an understanding of how vulnerable social systems/humans are to getting out whatever information you need (exploit).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts