Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So an ENFP lady after being friends for only a few months now successfully cracked my INFP shell. I shared some unconventional feelings on suicide that I've never shared with another living soul. This was three days ago.

Now I can't say that we talk on a daily bases. And in the past the conversations have always been one sided with me doing most of the listening and her doing most of the talking. (ya'll are good at that) I'd like to think that I had become a foundation for her with her relationship hardships. (Note: I'm gay, so she may see me as safe.)

The overall point being that I haven’t heard from her since. I understand it has only been three days, which we've gone longer without communication in the past. But I feel that somehow I may have made her uncomfortable. Maybe she finally got a look into the deeper levels of my conscious and found me different from what she thought she would find.

The question is really one of what should I do next? Do I wait to see if she initiates a conversation or do I initiate one. Do I bring up the conversation and ask her what her feelings are about what was said? Or do I let it go as though it hadn't happened?

I know that our types are a lot alike, that we have virtues that if crossed will cause us to pull away, but in the case that I have not gone against one of hers what do you feel my next step should be?

Reactions: Finaille

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Huh, hard to say since people are different (it is a cliche but so true).

There are usually 3 reasons why I become less... initiative.
1) Busy life
2) Boredom (no offence, but when the euphoria has gone it is usually followed by stagnation)
3) I am not sure how to simply summarize this, but I tend to take a step back when I feel that the other part is becoming clingy and dependent.

There can always be personal reasons which we do not know. Perhaps she is afraid of closeness too even though ENFPs tend to fancy this because of closeness itself. And perhaps she is busy with her life or something. I suggest you start a conversation with her again and wait a few days after it and see if she initiates conversation with you as well. Do what feels right, ENFPs usually do not bite, we try to be nice and friendly. ;-)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've misjudged the closeness of friendships before, I've had people tell me that I'm their best friend when I look to them as more of a casual friend. Maybe she was just shocked to have been let in on your pain and doesn't know how to react. It could be something completely different! I say just talk to her about other stuff to get the conversation going again, she's not likely to ignore what you've said completely

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its not you. Its us. After a while, we ENFP's become bored...and...well...basically look for a new shell to crack(I don't mean this as offensive, I swear.) We lose interest pretty quickly. Its hard for us to keep at something we started. If we believe that you have become too dependent, or in other words clingy on oneself we simply take a step back, and analyze the situation. If we come to a conclusion that we took things too far, that we are knee deep, and believe that you are starting to have greater feelings for us, we basically freak-out, and attempt to push you away. Its the irrational fear to get too close.
...but there is a loophole(there is always a loophole, isn't there?): We ENFP's starve for adventure, crave something new every single day. Have you and your lady friend been sitting around talking about your feelings all the time? Or have you took her out kayaking?
We love people who are unpredictable, and fun to have around.
Try the following:
1) Take her on an unexpected joyride.
2) Karaoke with her buds
3) Somehow manage to do this without getting in trouble

Reactions: Wheeze

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I think she may just be busy. I tend to be an out of sight, out of mind person... if all of a sudden I have a lot of work or activities hit me out of nowhere, I may not always think to respond immediately. I think @Coccinellidae had it most accurate with what could possibly be going on. It doesn't sound like you're being too clingy in my opinion. As a friendship builds, it's pretty normal to start disclosing more personal information. It sounds like she's ok with expressing information... so I wouldn't think she would just dump you out of nowhere.

It's been a few days since your first post; has she responded back to you yet? Have you tried to initiate any conversation with her?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts