Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible for an INFP to be a sociopath or a psychopath? What do you think?

The difference is (according to definition) that sociopaths are able to empathise with a limited group around them but can be callous/manipulative towards most of humanity.

Psychopaths have no real feelings and therefore cannot empathise, they can only mirror it to achieve goals.

There have been purported MBTI types for some sociopaths (eg. Stalin ENTJ) and psychopaths (eg. Ted Bundy ISTP) but nothing that I know for an INFP.

·
Registered
INFP
1,489 Posts
I thought psychopaths were people who had a taste for violence and breaking social norms.. that they were sort of mentally ill. sort of like crazy anarchists.
And I thought sociopaths were very intelligent, abusive people who couldn't empathize with others very well, if at all.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
These kinds of people are made not born and are products of society and toxic childhood so any type can end up being in that state.

·
Premium Member
15,174 Posts
I'm going to go with any type has the possibility to become a sociopath and/or psychopath* (*see my disclaimer below) and I was always under the impression that both were likely caused by a brain that was abnormal, what I mean is people were more likely than not, born with this condition --source-- source -- I also always thought the MBTI was created for the non-psychiatric population -- from the preface of *Gifts Differing* (her son says) -- "Isabel Myers...help ordinary, healthy, normal people understand it is alright to be unique individuals..." (emphasis mine) and also "The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator has become the most widely used personality instrument for nonpsychiatric populations..." source

·
Registered
240 Posts
Seeing as how types are derived from the way your mind works (how it collects, processes, prioritises, and communicates information), I'd say no. In fact I wouldn't really call them any type. Sociopathy (can't answer for psychopathy, although I thought I read somewhere they're terms for the same thing?) tends to be borne from pre-frontal lobe damage. This can be as the result of trauma, disease, or a congenital problem. Basically the part of the brain that corresponds to social rules, empathy, etc. doesn't work. As such they behave in a totally different way to other people, their priorities are different. It could even be argued that at a basic level they're not capable of the sophisticated processing the MBTI tests are supposed to measure.

Environmental factors such as upbringing can lead to sociopathic tendencies, but these tend to be the result of totally seperate conditions.

Oh, and there's a negative correlation between sociopathy and intelligence, as sociopathy tends to be the result of some form of brain damage. I'm not saying there's no such thing as an intelligent sociopath - but statistically you're more likely to find their intelligence is significantly impaired.

BUT I'm not an expert, trained or otherwise. So you're more than welcome to do some research yourself.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,604 Posts
I think it's unlikely that a psychopath or sociopath would be able to strongly identify with the INFP type, especially when you add the fluffy stereotypes. But it's possible. You only need to look around to see the INFP psycho/sociopaths on this forum!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't see why a personality should be exempt from having an antisocial personality disorder. If anyone can catch a cold, then anyone can happen to be born with the genes that take role in psychopathy, or happen to be an unhealthy environment that allows a person to develop sociopathy. (I'm not a professional, but I had read that psychopathy was genetic and sociopathy comes from environmental factors.)

If an INFP has antisocial personality disorder, I'd imagine their values would be very warped and self-centered. They'd probably be someone like Jeffrey Dahmer, who was looking for an ideal sexual partner. Unfortunately, that ideal included submission and passivity, so passive to the point he didn't his partner moving in bed. He didn't like all the movements, squirming, and liveliness--in other words, a corpse fitted the deal.

That's just an example of how INFP's romanticism/idealism can be twisted up, because I'm not necessarily saying Dahmer is an INFP (but some people do guess he is one). I also imagine an INFP can be the type of person to bottle in emotions for years, then finally snap and plan something, like school shooters.

So yes, I say it's very possible. Not all INFPs are fluffy and healthy.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I think if an INFP gets too caught up in their ideal world and way of being that can reject reality so much that they can come off as someone who would disregard reality for their own ideals. Couple that disregard for reality with an arrogant self-righteousness, than you can have an INFP who believes no much that they are right in their world-view that they see people who do not comply with their ideals as less than and worthless and exposable, or yet to be corrected. Sort of like a god complex "I must cleanse this filthy unjust and unrighteous world." I can see an INFP villian like that. A angelic tyrant.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I personally think my mom is a psychopathic narcissistic esfp/isfj so anything is possible in my mind

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sociopath or psychopath? I don't think so. Definitely not psychopath... maybe sociopath, but I still don't think it really fits because I can't think of a single example of an INFP sociopath. There are a few typical ways in which INFPs develop into malignant personalities, it does not really align with what society thinks of as sociopathy, more like severe borderline personality disorder. Granted that can create some crazy and extremely damaging behaviors, just the label of sociopath doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Is it possible for an INFP to be a sociopath or a psychopath? What do you think?

The difference is (according to definition) that sociopaths are able to empathise with a limited group around them but can be callous/manipulative towards most of humanity.

Psychopaths have no real feelings and therefore cannot empathise, they can only mirror it to achieve goals.

There have been purported MBTI types for some sociopaths (eg. Stalin ENTJ) and psychopaths (eg. Ted Bundy ISTP) but nothing that I know for an INFP.
Straight answer: yes, because personality disorders don't discriminate between personality types.

What does it look like? First off you must understand the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath. INFP is more likely to be sociopathic. Both these types are antisocial. Sociopaths are more conscious of what they're doing and may feel guilt about it, while psychopaths don't. Both types care only about getting what they want and will manipulate those around them in order to get that. Psychopaths are EXTREMELY calculating and strategic in everything they do, do not have a conscience at all, and mimic emotion. Likely to be a thinking type before being a feeling type. Also psychopaths are born, sociopaths are created.

NOTE THAT ANTISOCIAL MEANS A DISREGARD FOR PERSONAL SAFETY AND THAT OF EVERYONE ELSE'S, AS WELL AS RULES. I'm sure some of yall are smart enough to understand that but there are still losers out there who don't get the difference despite having internet access. -__-

Sociopaths can be kinda...less calculating. Again they're only concerned about getting what they want, for themselves, and are willing to go to extremes to get it, but unlike the psychopath, you can see that they're...not exactly on the clean side of it.

EXAMPLE: Online, you can wonder if someone is a sociopath if they can seem overly obsessive, self-victimizing, attacking of others, etc. A psychopath can be on here and you'd prolly never know. They could be one of your friends.

Sociopaths are basically messier because unlike the psychopath, they are impulsive.

An INFP sociopath would be self-victimizing, needy, self-important, aggressive most likely, emotionally manipulative, self-destructive, prolly self-sabotages relationships, the epitome of someone who destroys everything they touch.

A psychopathic INFP would prolly seem kind but you'd prolly feel a detachment from them or a sense of something unnatural in the way they carry themselves or behave. They'd have a good understanding of emotional intelligence and how to use it to manipulate people around them. They'd prolly seem like gems from the outside and you won't know the truth until you've been with themlong enough to see that the truth is they just don't care. For you or anyone or anything.

Reactions: MonarK

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m an INFP sociopath and sociopaths display both feelings of psychopathy for instance trying to kill one person to save one hundred and at the same I follow my values and decide that grace is sufficient. So thoughts of both appear. I developed sociopathy through my parents fighting stress brought it out but I have the genes for it from my grandpa who had Alzheimer’s. I can be extremely empathetic but then when I am going through stress I attack people and have a desire to torture emotionally. I did it to my dad, to my crush, to my mom my sister too. I am late to work as all sociopaths are and I am manipulative on the road and at work. I just discovered too that I have sociopathy. I sometimes get jealous of animals like especially the cat and the dog I like more as all sociopaths do. Chickens I really get mad at as I want to hurt them. I just hate things that are scared of me. So INFPS sociopaths display both empathy at times like I am an empath who feels what others feel and am in their shoes and I feel suicidal from it. I can be both lack of empathy at times as my mind probably has been damaged and then I can be extremely empathic at the same time where strangers trust me. At first I was just late to work and manipulative on the road. After I went through continuous stress from my husband abusing me I developed severe sociopathy where I attack humans and animals. So ASPD gets worse with stress.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m an INFP sociopath and sociopaths display both feelings of psychopathy for instance trying to kill one person to save one hundred and at the same I follow my values and decide that grace is sufficient. So thoughts of both appear. I developed sociopathy through my parents fighting stress brought it out but I have the genes for it from my grandpa who had Alzheimer’s. I can be extremely empathetic but then when I am going through stress I attack people and have a desire to torture emotionally. I did it to my dad, to my crush, to my mom my sister too. I am late to work as all sociopaths are and I am manipulative on the road and at work. I just discovered too that I have sociopathy. I sometimes get jealous of animals like especially the cat and the dog I like more as all sociopaths do. Chickens I really get mad at as I want to hurt them. I just hate things that are scared of me. So INFPS sociopaths display both empathy at times like I am an empath who feels what others feel and am in their shoes and I feel suicidal from it. I can be both lack of empathy at times as my mind probably has been damaged and then I can be extremely empathic at the same time where strangers trust me. At first I was just late to work and manipulative on the road. After I went through continuous stress from my husband abusing me I developed severe sociopathy where I attack humans and animals. So ASPD gets worse with stress.
Hey there. Did you find my post by searching for it? Have you been diagnosed?

·
MOTM January 2013
10,615 Posts
Its been mentioned that the killer of the Columbine massacre was Infp, I mean he seemed to show the jaded reality of his own perceptions of the world, viewing it in distorted form to the point of derealisation and committed the atrocity based on his warped worldview of other humans. I can see a heavily misanthropic Infp falling into the shadows, losing empathy for others, the more the Infp loses touch with reality, the more removed and cut off they are from their own empathy with others whom they see as deserving to die or suffer.

I suspect Bran Stark from Game of Thrones is an Infp, although he really cannot help the predicament he is in, he still by default has not been able to awake from his dreadful slumber, thereby enabling good people to be slaughtered and maimed. But he just cannot wake up and is too weak to challenge these demons who have invaded his dreams.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking of Astrology when I read this. Barbara Streisand and Hitler both have the same birthdays and they are Gemini's (supposedly). People in the Astrology community wanted to seriously consider the idea of Gemini's being evil and its in their astrological make-up. So Barbara Streisand doesn't seem like the Hitler sort. But yes, if we INFPs have this in our psychological make-up then I guess its less likely that we will become mass/serial murderers but I like to think of this as more of a base but our life experiences and beliefs is what going to shape u and people may even be able to control their urges. Sociopathy is a lack of empathy according to criminal profilers and psychologists. Some equate that with the rich and wealthy and especially in the males if we want to generalize. But I know that's not completely the case in my experiences. Narcissism also at times come into play which was once found in gay males. Which is the opposite of what others would say. There are many different theories. I have to say I am not the extreme of my Meyers/Briggs profile and that may have to do with environment. Not that there is anything wrong with your profie fitting you to a T.

ddI oPS I used to have an account here years ago but for some odd reason when I tried to log in. II couldn't. They didn't have my email account on record. So I had to get a new account

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,123 Posts
I find it unlikely given the nature of intropunitive feelings that INFP develop as a type. Maybe some Ni/Si who type themselves infp could be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts