Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me pre face this by saying this is my first post to this forum, and for that matter any internet forum. I have, as in real life, always been a wall flower, and have never really felt the need to contribute until now. This particular forum, however, is amazing to me, as I didn't realize this kind of stuff existed. I took the test a few days ago on about 5 different sites and they all say INFP, and from reading posts on this site you people are exactly like me. Now Ive known I was different for quite some time but seeing the description of INFP and reading your posts are like reading a book on myself and I find it pretty reassuring.

some advice-
Ive noticed a lot of people on here beating them selves up for being who they are, or wanting desperately to change that. Changing negative aspects about yourself isn't bad, but don't lose yourself in it. I have pretended to be someone else in my life, with some success, and it never turns out good, I am always knocked back into reality at some point, which means disappointment and self loathing.

Secondly, Ive noticed near everyone on here having a hard time identifying with other people, which I can completely relate to. One thing that helped me in this aspect was following my heart on what I wanted to do for a career, which was music. It took drastic measures of moving across the country twice in two years, to places in which I knew no one, living in NYC, which for me was frightening to say the least and working unbelievably long hours for no pay for a year. But doing something drastic forces you to change, to adapt, to be confident in yourself, and in my situation put me with a lot of people like myself who I COULD identify with, birds of a feather flock together kind of thing.

Another thing Ive noticed is how polite, kind and well written all these posts are, most forums are filled with hateful comments and general human waste of all shapes and forms. That says something great about this mentality, I think.

And finally a question. How many of you guys are involved in music in some form as a hobby or career? Ive noticed a lot of interest in music in these posts, and wonder how much of a common thread it is for INFP type people.

Sorry for being long winded, and I hope it was not preachy, I am resisting the urge to delete the whole thing!

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I look forward to getting to know you better. I like you already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: INFPgirl and niki

·
Registered
47 Posts
some advice-
Ive noticed a lot of people on here beating them selves up for being who they are, or wanting desperately to change that. Changing negative aspects about yourself isn't bad, but don't lose yourself in it. I have pretended to be someone else in my life, with some success, and it never turns out good, I am always knocked back into reality at some point, which means disappointment and self loathing.

And finally a question. How many of you guys are involved in music in some form as a hobby or career? Ive noticed a lot of interest in music in these posts, and wonder how much of a common thread it is for INFP type people.
!
I am guilty of self-loathing, but I've learnt to accept myself for who I am and know that I can't please everyone.

As for music - I couldn't imagine my life without it. I've tried to learn instruments in the past, but I get quite lazy, I would like a grand piano though..

Reactions: INFPgirl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for music - I couldn't imagine my life without it. I've tried to learn instruments in the past, but I get quite lazy, I would like a grand piano though..
I feel you on that, I can be lazy as hell, and have sort of learned to play like 4 things but do none of them well, which is why I decided to work in a studio. :happy:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Welcome

Welcome JaySheezy. It is quite a revelation for some of us to discover our personality types. I thought I was rather odd for years & tried to "fix it" until I discovered that I was normal, just an INFP. This is a great place to learn more too. Yes some of us INFPs here are musicians, some professionally & some as a hobby. Music does seem to seem to be an INFP thing I've learned.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ompghf, yeah! I couldn't live without music, I don't know how much does it depend on a type, though. Sounds may do wonderful things to your mind. String instruments is my thing, as a hobby..a little percussion too. Synths I really am interested in, but never had one. It's always fun to just experiment with sounds, but then I kinda fail with the whole structure and leave songs unfinished. Oh well, good enough as for a hobby :mellow:

·
Registered
INFP
1,089 Posts
How many of you guys are involved in music in some form as a hobby or career? Ive noticed a lot of interest in music in these posts, and wonder how much of a common thread it is for INFP type people.
Music seems to play a large part of my life because of the emotional aspects of it. Whatever I listen to may serve as a reflection of my current mood which can serve to intensify it whether it be from sadness and grief to light-hearted and euphoric. It also has the reverse affect of altering my own emotions to whatever is playing, as if it were pulling me into the very world created by it. As of now, I only pursue music as a hobby. I casually play guitar and have played piano, and I do/did this because I wanted to recreate the power music has over me. Although I truly cannot speak for others, it serves as my inspiration and solace among many other things.

Sorry for being long winded, and I hope it was not preachy, I am resisting the urge to delete the whole thing!
There's nothing to be sorry about, we're all here to help each other. It took me 1 hour just to make my first post which was only a about a quarters length of what you've written and nowhere near as cathartic. Thanks for sharing and we'll look forward to seeing more of your contributions in the future. See? we can all be a little long winded if it's something we really care about.:happy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ompghf, yeah! I couldn't live without music, I don't know how much does it depend on a type, though. Sounds may do wonderful things to your mind. String instruments is my thing, as a hobby..a little percussion too. Synths I really am interested in, but never had one. It's always fun to just experiment with sounds, but then I kinda fail with the whole structure and leave songs unfinished. Oh well, good enough as for a hobby :mellow:

Yea I have a very hard time with structure too, I tend to just want to loop the shit out of things. It wont let me view your links, cuz I haven't made 10 posts :) To me perfect structure is exit music for a film by radiohead, or for hip hop Jay Electronica - The Pledge (Eternal Sunshine), it wont let me post the link but youtube it, so good!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Let me pre face this by saying this is my first post to this forum, and for that matter any internet forum. I have, as in real life, always been a wall flower, and have never really felt the need to contribute until now. This particular forum, however, is amazing to me, as I didn't realize this kind of stuff existed. I took the test a few days ago on about 5 different sites and they all say INFP, and from reading posts on this site you people are exactly like me. Now Ive known I was different for quite some time but seeing the description of INFP and reading your posts are like reading a book on myself and I find it pretty reassuring.

some advice-

Secondly, Ive noticed near everyone on here having a hard time identifying with other people, which I can completely relate to. One thing that helped me in this aspect was following my heart on what I wanted to do for a career, which was music. It took drastic measures of moving across the country twice in two years, to places in which I knew no one, living in NYC, which for me was frightening to say the least and working unbelievably long hours for no pay for a year. But doing something drastic forces you to change, to adapt, to be confident in yourself, and in my situation put me with a lot of people like myself who I COULD identify with, birds of a feather flock together kind of thing.

Another thing Ive noticed is how polite, kind and well written all these posts are, most forums are filled with hateful comments and general human waste of all shapes and forms. That says something great about this mentality, I think.

I really appreciated what you said about moving cross country and making drastic changes to force change. I am at a really confusing, unhappy point in my life at the moment and am struggling to motivate myself to do just this. I want more out of my life but lack the confidence to make it happen. It's encouraging to hear a success story and the happiness that comes from making a choice like that.

As far as music goes...I believe I would die without music in my life. I really would. Music is my constant companion for however I am feeling. I turn to music for every emotion I have. I played guitar as a child but after my parents divorced it became to painful...as that was something I did with my dad and he was no longer a part of my life. My goal for 2010 is to start playing my guitar again. I've had a favorite band as far back as I can remember. I remember being 5 years old and getting in trouble because I would sit in the car listening to 8 tracks and kill the battery. My parents bought me a record player after that...lol. I help run a fan forum for my favorite band and have an entire community of friends that I've met just through music sites. One of my favorite quotes about music:

"I like the feeling of redemption in a song where you get lifted from this dark place by the music and the melody. Even if the lyrics are really dark and twisted, I like a melody that lifts you. Music can do that. I still hold on to the idea that a record can really change the way I feel. It's the only thing that does that instantly - you know, without consequences. — Dave Gahan

Anyway, welcome. I'm new to this site as well and I agree with everything you've said. This truly is a wonderful forum full of amazing people. I really like it here.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Changing negative aspects about yourself isn't bad, but don't lose yourself in it. ...it never turns out good, I am always knocked back into reality at some point, which means disappointment and self loathing.

Secondly, Ive noticed near everyone on here having a hard time identifying with other people, which I can completely relate to. One thing that helped me in this aspect was following my heart on what I wanted to do for a career, which was music.

But doing something drastic forces you to change, to adapt, to be confident in yourself, and in my situation put me with a lot of people like myself who I COULD identify with, birds of a feather flock together kind of thing.
This points are very good. I think it's important for INFPs to focus on their strengths in order to overcome flaws.

This board really does have a great dynamic & is very INFP-friendly.

And I am not a musician (although I'd like to be), but music is near & dear to my heart.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very good points :proud: Concentrating on my strengths is something I've been trying to do a lot more as of late.

And the music thing- I can't even put into words how much it means to me. It's in my heart, it's what I want to do. I wouldn't be here without it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my first post as well, I just wanted to reply because I read how much you love music, since I am exactly the same way. I've been playing guitar for 3 years which isn't too long but I think it's good for a 17 year old.
Message me if you want to talk about music because I love it any conversation about it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Welcome to Personality Cafe! I appreciate all that you shared, and hope you enjoy it here as much as I have. I am also an INFP. I am not a musician, but I love music, and get drawn into and moved by certain songs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
some advice-
I've been there and done that too, and agree completely. I think it is ultimately a totally understandable reaction given the way that society reacts to INFPs. We adapt like that in order to survive and do what we believe we have to do in that situation.

I don't have any big answer to it but I feel that if you're trapped behind a mask it's a recipe for eventual misery. There has to be as big a part of your life as you can possibly make it where you are authentically yourself without external pressure to be otherwise, or else you feel like you're going out of your mind.

Music is the ultimate transcendance. If I'm not playing, writing or listening to it, something's going through my head. Yes, it can save your life - or at least your sanity.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Music is the ultimate transcendance. If I'm not playing, writing or listening to it, something's going through my head. Yes, it can save your life - or at least your sanity.
Truer words have not been spoken...I 100% agree.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello =)
Man, if music was not there, i would not be me, because I don't know I would feel anything, at least not as intensely as with music. And I wouldn't be able to see things in the same way. When there is music it's like you take away the atmosphere of the Earth with all the atoms from here and everything, and the music is the atmosphere and it is that that is keeping you alive but in that other dimension where everything is so intense and beautiful and amazing. :confused: It is so awesome =)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Without reiterating what everyone above me has said...this couldn't be more spot on. Everyone has flaws, but everyone has strengths too..and some times us INFP's can be so much harder on ourselves than on others. We all need to remember, we're people too. We deserve to be imperfect (and embrace this imperfection.) After all we are human. And as our fellow INFP Morrissey says "I am human and I need to be loved." Well, we need to love ourselves too.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Without reiterating what everyone above me has said...this couldn't be more spot on. Everyone has flaws, but everyone has strengths too..and some times us INFP's can be so much harder on ourselves than on others. We all need to remember, we're people too. We deserve to be imperfect (and embrace this imperfection.) After all we are human. And as our fellow INFP Morrissey says "I am human and I need to be loved." Well, we need to love ourselves too.
I didn't know Morrissey was INFP....that is very interesting. Could be part of why I love his music so much...I really relate to many of his lyrics.

If we don't learn to love ourselves...how can we truly love others? This is the question I've been asking myself as of late. I'm determined to accept and love myself... This forum is helping. :happy:

Reactions: murderegina

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's a very interesting perspective. I'm actually not this way at all. As a matter of fact, me being the way I am is a great source of pride for me, oddly enough. I don't really want to change anything about myself, not even the "negative" aspects. I've learnt to act civil at work, that's about it. Self-loathing does happen sometimes though...usually when I feel neglected and want attention. :blushed:

·
Registered
331 Posts

some advice-

I love this post, youre like the oprah winfrey for INFPs, you made my day a batter day I can assure you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts