Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what INFP stereotypes you have heard of. This is in no way an attack on INFP's. This thread just gives awareness to the stereotypes of the INFP personality.

Here is my list of INFP stereotypes..

1.) Cry babies
2.) Emos
3.) Suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome
4.) Non logical
5.) Romantic
6.) Accepting of others
7.) Dramatic
8.) Loners
9.) Socially deprived
10.) Was bullied in school

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
15,187 Posts
Stereotypes I've observed being said about INFPs:

• Can't handle criticism
  • Don't share their pain
  • Share too much pain
  • Can't let go
  • Deny the truth
  • Can't get a job
  • Can't keep a job
  • Depressed
  • Suicidal
  • ADD
  • "INFP is the worst MBTI type"
  • airheads
  • space cadets
  • some damage when they were younger caused them to become INFP
  • don't like the sciences, math, biology
  • "Why would anyone want to be an INFP?"
ummm... I've come across thousands of untruths said about INFPs in my travels. This list is just a start. Also... when people post a message like "As INFPs we ........ " and they group all INFPs under one characteristic or behavior. I so want to scream...... speak for yourself, not me.

EDIT - I just thought of more:
INFP is the unhealthy MBTI type
If an INFP were "healthy" they would be some other type.

...which reminds me -- there are lots of stereotypes about introverts also.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Oh, I have some more stereotypes I heard of.

1. INFPs are clingy and sticky, even more than a chewinggum on your shoe
2. INFPs are brainless Lemmings
3. INFPs are delusional

:confused:

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
1.) Cry babies: I'm a former crybaby, but I'm still one on the inside. :tongue:.
2.) Emos: Uhh, not the stereotypical emo, but I can be emotional, yes.
3.) Suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome: Not that I'm aware of.
4.) Non logical: Mmmm only true to a small extent. I appreciate logic and use it often.
5.) Romantic: Yes, although it may not be obvious in real life.
6.) Accepting of others: For the most part, yes.
7.) Dramatic: No not really, that attracts too much attention :p.
8.) Loners: Yup. :D
9.) Socially deprived: Probably moreso than most people, but I do have at least some sort of a social life :tongue:
10.) Was bullied in school: Never, and it boggles my mind as to why not.
................​

Reactions: Eluding The View

·
Registered
853 Posts
-My big INFP stereotype that I don't like is that it seems like alot of INFPs think Eastern Civilization is better than Western Civilization. I have never lived up to this stereotype and I never will. I think the main reason alot of NFs think this is because their view of Eastern Civ. is itself stereotypical and shallow and the underlying reality is different. Alot of Eastern Philosophers (such as Confucius) were highly rigid and authoritarian in there way of thinking, which seems to be a common charge against Western Philosophy.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
-My big INFP stereotype that I don't like is that it seems like alot of INFPs think Eastern Civilization is better than Western Civilization. I have never lived up to this stereotype and I never will. I think the main reason alot of NFs think this is because their view of Eastern Civ. is itself stereotypical and shallow and the underlying reality is different. Alot of Eastern Philosophers (such as Confucius) were highly rigid and authoritarian in there way of thinking, which seems to be a common charge against Western Philosophy.
Interesting. I must admit...I tend to think that eastern civilization is better than western.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Some more stereotypes:

- Teddybears
- Softies
- Gullible
- Gentle little doe eyed fawns (and other woodland creatures)
- Mother Theresa types on a crusade against inhumanity
- Hidden value mine bombs that make people walk on egg shells
- Invisible
- Whiny
- Unlikeable

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
usually gentle and compassionate, often to the point of being pushovers and victims, easily offendable, childlike, naive, pushy when convinced we are right about something that matters to us, impossible to argue with because we either fail to make any sense or get upset too easily. We are seen as either excessively permissive when dealing with wrongdoers that others wish to punish too harshly, or at the other extreme, critical and perfectionistic over whatever socially accepted evils we are crusading against. We are easy to take advantage of, but the same vulnerability makes us seem non-threatening and easy to open up to, which has earned us a reputation for being healers, specializing in psychological fields. An INFP would probably get voted most likely to end up homeless. We tend not to make much money because of a lack of business skills/ interests. We are also seen as weird, fairy or elf-like mystical creatures, slobs, lazy, eccentric.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
414 Posts
1.) Cry babies - I probably cry more than the average person my age, although I don't cry all the time... or even a ton.
2.) Emos - Okay, that's fair.
3.) Suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome - That's a given.
4.) Non logical - Okay, this I disagree with. I actually use facts in argument. Using non-fact in argument goes against my "mighty" ideals
5.) Romantic - Ha, yeah, I definitely see this.
6.) Accepting of others - Yeah, I am accepting of other people.
7.) Dramatic - Yeah, but not in the histrionic way. Obviously. I'm an I.
8.) Loners - Not by choice.
9.) Socially deprived - Yeah, this is true.
10.) Was bullied in school - This makes me wonder if my personality type made me susceptible to being bullied OR am a personality type that just perceives that I had a harder time than others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am still debating whether I am an infp or enfp. Yesterday I was sure that I was an enfp, and, maybe part of this was wishful thinking. I think today I fit a lot of the stereotypes of the infp. This does not surprise me because when I first took the MBTI 17 years ago, I scored very high on the introvert scale.
On most days (when I am not on one of my BP highs, which have little to do with personality types) I am a perfectionist I demand moral perfection, honor, and integrety within myself, and while I am open minded and forgiving in most instances, I have gotten annoyed sometimes when others don't 'measure up' to my ethical standards. I am nice in the extreme, and, sometimes I am taken advantage of. I hate criticism, I have been reduced to tears before, on the other hand I did not confront the person who criticized me and pretended that everything was all right. I try to be logical, but, I often use logic to back up my strongly held values. I act as a hobby, so, I can be quite dramatic, and I have even been called a drama king at work (yikes!) I am a loner, I spend a lot of time on the computer. On the other hand I love giving and receiving lots of hugs. I am a big teddy bear at heart. I can enjoy the company of others (especially females, I just find women easier to talk to then men.) Of course, I have never had an SO, but I imagine the perfect romantic relationship in my head. I was socially ostersized in grade school. I was overweight and shy, a double whammy. I have always been disorganized, and I am a procrastinator. I have never been diagnosed with PTSD, but, I am not exactly sane either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am very shy. People think I am stuck up which is far from the truth. I just have to warm up to people. I hate being shy, I really do because I like to help people. And its hard when u are shy. I also at times have trouble saying what i feel. Its like I try to talk them my words become jumbled up and I get embarrased. Anyone else have the problem?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tell me what INFP stereotypes you have heard of. This is in no way an attack on INFP's. This thread just gives awareness to the stereotypes of the INFP personality.

Here is my list of INFP stereotypes..

1.) Cry babies - not at all
2.) Emos - sometimes
3.) Suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome - maybe
4.) Non logical - not me
5.) Romantic - definitely me
6.) Accepting of others - yes
7.) Dramatic - at times
8.) Loners - very much
9.) Socially deprived - only because I choose to be
10.) Was bullied in school - absolutely not

1 - 20 of 341 Posts