Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
From what I can recognize, my Mom and Grandma are ESFJs and Dad is an ISTJ. I can relate a lot to your experience, especially this:

One problem that ISJs face is that it can be very difficult for us to understand how other people are different than we are. Our dominant function is Si, and this means that we base all of our knowledge on our past experiences. Because we have inferior Ne, it's hard for us to use our imaginations to understand how something can be true if we don't have concrete evidence of it. Because of that, we have a hard time discerning what is commonly true in all people, and what varies from person to person.

I think this is why ISFJs have a hard time being in authority...it's one reason why I don't know if I would ever want to have kids. ISFJs can be afraid of admitting that they're wrong because they're afraid they won't be respected anymore. Your dad's inferior Ne may be telling him that if he admits you're right and he's wrong about something, that you'll extend this to all facets of his life, and that you wont' listen when he's right and you're wrong.

Basically, your dad is probably worried that if you don't follow a similar path that he did, you won't end up in place in life that you're happy. Unfortunately, it sounds like he's trusting his own personal experience more than your personal input, since he probably believes you'll end up changing your mind when you get older.
Thanks a lot for this post, @teddy564339. It really helped take things into perspective. =)

Reactions: teddy564339
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.