Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I find I identify with the I in INFP in the fact I recharge when alone, like to be alone and in touch with knowing my feelings that are intense.

Um but being around family I have noticed I don't think before I speak...
Which is odd as someone who identifies as an introvert.
I cant say I'm an extrovert either.
I like being alone and like one on one.
I like deep conversations.
I like to get away from socializing when stressed or talking one on one to someone who gets what I'm feeling.

But I tend to speak before I think about what I'm gonna say.

I do pause when talking to people and think though...think about what I said if im rightly expressing myself. I tend to look like I'm wandering off in my mind but I'm just evaluating or finding a better way to say things...

Uh... any thoughts?

I almost feel like I'm being disqualified from being an INFP lol.
I looked at ENFP and I don't feel it connects with me tho.

Not having a crisis internally right now.
(Sarcasm)

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm..
Idk..
A lady wanted to find a shop in the mall and i felt bad for her feeling confused so I helped her. But I didn't think about everything I said before I said it...🤔

I just said oh let me see
And then my mom took over cause I didn't know how to explain how to get there. Hard time reading the directory lol!😅

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im the same, I overthink as I dont know the person well. Once I know people I describe things better to them.

I had to train people at some point and that really freaked me out. I tend to tailor stuff for people as I read them. If addressing more peeps I feel hollow and uncertain when I speak as Im unsure if Im actually being understood.

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah... I like to know I know things before I help... i guess its unless I feel empathy. It was a senior and she seemed so lost.
I felt nervous but I wanted to step out cause she asked for help.

Ah man... yeah... i notice if Im really nervous i start going against being reserved and start blurring out my feelings to friends. Like I need to be super stressed about a topic.
I do it so I can figure out the answers.
Its like... thinking out loud around people...
And they can help if they want
... i hope they do.. haha cause I know as much as I analyze I don't know everything.

·
4,979 Posts
I just talk too, blurt things out, and then things has to go from there, I don't think I know how to prepare a well thought through thing in my mind before talking, usually when I try I can't really get a full grasp of it, just bits and pieces, foggy, and then when I am to speak my mind more or less goes blank anyway and I have to improvise. Most of the time I don't think it is a problem, it is part of how I think, talk and listen to what I say myself and analyse that while talking, perhaps taking some back and changing some, or refining, as I speak. But at times it is really annoying, like when asking or giving a point during a lecture with a hundred people listening, so you must be quick and succinct, and it all comes out in a strange order and difficult to follow. I don't know how many times lecturers have answered to something else than what I intended to ask...

I don't think this is uncommon among infps, I think there are both kinds. "Talking before thinking"-people, and "quiet until having a well thought through sentence constructed"-people. Introverted, yes, but also Extroverted intuition and Perceivers.

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah speaking in class
I start talking cause I think i know what im talking about then I pause and think before i say more lol.
I tend to think before I speak when I dont want to say too much about myself,
Or if I feel I need to tread carefully or try to say what I truly think or feel about something.

Just day to day conversation it seems I just talk.

I seem to talk a lot about myself in conversations but I can listen to others too.
My way of conversing is talking about myself hoping others would share themselves... i don't like feeling like I'm playing 20 questions...

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tend to talk out loud when stressed lol if super stressed i talk out loud. Hard to keep it in my head.
If people are around I try to just not care though im like ugh this is awkward I said that out loud.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,472 Posts
Wait, INFPs can TALK? I thought they just hid in a corner and sort of wimpered...:p:p

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
You could delve into the function of Ne (Extraverted Intuition) which is the 2nd function in INFP and 1st function in ENFP. So both types are prone to talk and explain things ''as they go''. This means that you unravel your thoughts and ideas more and more while being at it. This is opposed to Ni (Introverted Intuition), where a thought or idea is refined to the detail before anyone gets to know about it.

Observe the INFP, ENFP, INTP, ENTP as opposed to INTJ, INFJ and you'll may notice the difference in communication here.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,253 Posts
Sometimes I speak before I'm done processing something and say totally the wrong thing. I think this partly comes from the pace of conversation that feels expected of me by others, and partly from an eagerness to relate, connect, or please, like... my brain processes what the other person expects me to say before it processes what I actually think or know and the first thing can tumble out and then I have to awkwardly retract it.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,253 Posts
I seem to talk a lot about myself in conversations but I can listen to others too.
My way of conversing is talking about myself hoping others would share themselves... i don't like feeling like I'm playing 20 questions...
THIS. It's very frustrating when other people see this as being self centered, when really we are "leading by example" I share about me, now you share about you - right? Having to draw people out by asking questions can feel awkward and tedious, like pulling teeth. I figure, if you want to share you'll share and if not you won't, but I guess not everyone opperates that way? Now if I was cutting people off to talk about myself, okay 'self-centered' would be a fair accusation, but from my experience we INFPs don't generally interrupt, and when we do it's because we're attempting to get a word in edgewise but usually seem good about handing it back to the person who was talking - well that's what I've observed with people I know anyways.

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THIS. It's very frustrating when other people see this as being self centered, when really we are "leading by example" I share about me, now you share about you - right? Having to draw people out by asking questions can feel awkward and tedious, like pulling teeth. I figure, if you want to share you'll share and if not you won't, but I guess not everyone opperates that way? Now if I was cutting people off to talk about myself, okay 'self-centered' would be a fair accusation, but from my experience we INFPs don't generally interrupt, and when we do it's because we're attempting to get a word in edgewise but usually seem good about handing it back to the person who was talking - well that's what I've observed with people I know anyways.

I totally agree now that I was able to process what you were referring to in my feelings.
Yes. Wow I am actually going to cry cause I feel understood. Lol.

Um... yeah.. if I ask questions its after I realized I am good with it and the other person won't react bad to it... so its after a analyzation that happens on the inside...
Also its not 20...
And today I saw myself do it but its

How do you feel? (After saying something and seeing maybe a somber look)
Or what are you thinking.

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sometimes I speak before I'm done processing something and say totally the wrong thing. I think this partly comes from the pace of conversation that feels expected of me by others, and partly from an eagerness to relate, connect, or please, like... my brain processes what the other person expects me to say before it processes what I actually think or know and the first thing can tumble out and then I have to awkwardly retract it.

Hm.

Yeah if I feel a longer process in not helpful ill definitely respond right away.
I tend to pause while talking cause i intetnally process if I want to say something based off of how I feel what I think... my values and how it may affect another. Thats in deeper conversations. Not where is Wal mart.

I did reply to her cause I felt bad for her and I did think before uh... can I actually do this an be of any help?

·
Registered
Whoever I am.
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could delve into the function of Ne (Extraverted Intuition) which is the 2nd function in INFP and 1st function in ENFP. So both types are prone to talk and explain things ''as they go''. This means that you unravel your thoughts and ideas more and more while being at it. This is opposed to Ni (Introverted Intuition), where a thought or idea is refined to the detail before anyone gets to know about it.

Observe the INFP, ENFP, INTP, ENTP as opposed to INTJ, INFJ and you'll may notice the difference in communication here.
That was super helpful with me figuring out how Ne I am. And with the whole unraveling as I talk. Wow that took a invisible weight off my chest a bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts