Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im an infp teen and as u prob know teens are very very social. i always feel bad if i dont go out with friends or go to a party or something because i know its socially acceptable and im trying to 'improve my social skills' and all that stuff.. but i rly just dont liek going so much. dont get me wrong i love hanging out with my friends but after like an hour or two ive had enough.. but i feel like i HAVE to be social so i dont feel like a loser..

·
Registered
56 Posts
You shouldn't feel like a loser! Isn't that what being an INFP means? Not being social? We are introverts after all. :)
You should accept yourself for who you are, not who society thinks you should be. If you don't like parties don't go to them. There's more to life than "being cool" and stuff. If you really want to be more social just keep trying, but don't beat yourself up about it if you can't.
By the way, I think people who don't go to parties are much cooler than those that do. What's at a party anyway? Drugs, alcohol, stupid people? Granted, not all parties have those things. But still, they seem boring to me.
Hope this helped :)
Just so you know, I'm in high school, so i can relate. XD That sounded lame!!

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
As a teen I couldn't have thought more differently. I would have considered myself to be far more of a loser by selling myself short and doing things I never really wanted to do just to be accepted by people I didn't really give a shit about.

If only everyone else agreed!

At the end of the day, don't lose touch with who you are and what you want to do. But if the opinions of these people are important to you then I am sure you will find a way of staying true to yourself without being obnoxious or confrontational about it. Just be a little creative.

Truthfully, I'm still in the same position in the working world today. "How am I supposed to tactfully duck out of these parties without seeming like an asshole to everyone else"? There's always a way around it, even if it has to be the honest one sometimes.

Reactions: Autumn Raven

·
Banned
748 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of my friends are extroverted, and always try to "sell me" on going to various social events. I go sometimes and often I can tell that they are great events, but they are simply not my cup of tea. Friendships can cultivate without the need for "parties." I (And I would assume other INFPs) enjoy chilling with a very few number of friends, perhaps 2 or 3, sitting around playing video games or just conversing. That is my preferred setting for gatherings with people.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm 16, and I couldn't care less about being social or being a loser. Given the choice to spend my evening at a party or playing a video game, I'd choose the video game every time, because I'm alive purely to enjoy my life, and if enjoying it the way I want to enjoy it makes me a loser, then a loser is something I am happy to be.

·
Banned
18 Posts
im an infp teen and as u prob know teens are very very social. i always feel bad if i dont go out with friends or go to a party or something because i know its socially acceptable and im trying to 'improve my social skills' and all that stuff.. but i rly just dont liek going so much. dont get me wrong i love hanging out with my friends but after like an hour or two ive had enough.. but i feel like i HAVE to be social so i dont feel like a loser..
I know what you mean! I think it's okay to accept yourself for who you are and be okay with being introverted. There's no shame in that and it's rather healthy to stay at home every once in a while! Really, who cares about what others think of us? It shouldn't matter and it's something we all need to realize.
At the same time though I think it's important to work on those social skills, especially at your age. I say be positive about it! Even if it feels kind of forced, think about how you're becoming a more well rounded person by stepping out of your comfort zone. Continue going out and being social, but don't overdo it if you really don't want to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
im an infp teen and as u prob know teens are very very social.
I don't agree with the last statement.

There is a perfectly sensible explanation for why someone might think everyone else is very social. It's simply that those who are social are much more visible than others. Think about it. If everyone you meet at a party appear to be very social, it doesn't mean that everyone in the world is very social. It just means that those who go to parties tend to be quite social, but duh, you already knew that.

So you are not alone. You'll soon discover that there are lots of people people who are just like you. Just make sure you hold onto some when you find them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Meh, don't worry about that stuff. I haven't been out of HS long, so I can honestly say once you graduate none of that stuff matters anymore and after a couple of years no one remembers it. If you stay true to yourself, you'd be surprised who you'll bump into a couple of years later and find out that they actually liked you, as you. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.