Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
INFP
1,484 Posts
I don't feel that under most circumstances it is really the best option, but I think I can understand why, unfortunately, so many people turn to it or even think about it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think most people who commit suicide actually want, above all other things, to simply die. To me, that's the saddest part.

The one thing I'm sure of is that I don't like it when people say suicide is "selfish." I won't go into that; it's a little off-topic.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have thought seriously of suicide more than once - planning it out, preparing for it. One thing I realized, though, it wasn't my life I wanted to end. It was the pain. That got me to thinking constructively. Solving the problem. I would daydream about what I really wanted to happen. Then I would ask myself WHY I wanted it. I kept asking how and why, and eventually got to the root of the problem. Once I understood the pain I was experiencing, I was much better able to cope with it.

Also, I am a deeply religious person, and I believe my body is a gift from God. How would He feel if I destroyed it? For suicide is simply harming your body in such a way as to make it uninhabitable for your spirit. How would I feel if I gave my special one a precious gift - something I selected carefully that I felt she would truly appreciate - and then she destroyed it?

I have found that all I have been through, as painful as it may have been, has made me stronger, and better able to love, understand, and help other people, which is what I really want to do with my life.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The one thing I'm sure of is that I don't like it when people say suicide is "selfish." I won't go into that; it's a little off-topic.
:happy: I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am that somebody else feels this strongly about that conviction.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have thought seriously of suicide more than once - planning it out, preparing for it. One thing I realized, though, it wasn't my life I wanted to end. It was the pain. That got me to thinking constructively. Solving the problem. I would daydream about what I really wanted to happen. Then I would ask myself WHY I wanted it. I kept asking how and why, and eventually got to the root of the problem. Once I understood the pain I was experiencing, I was much better able to cope with it.

Also, I am a deeply religious person, and I believe my body is a gift from God. How would He feel if I destroyed it? For suicide is simply harming your body in such a way as to make it uninhabitable for your spirit. How would I feel if I gave my special one a precious gift - something I selected carefully that I felt she would truly appreciate - and then she destroyed it?

I have found that all I have been through, as painful as it may have been, has made me stronger, and better able to love, understand, and help other people, which is what I really want to do with my life.
My thoughts exactly minus the religious part. I never actually planned it. But once I took some time to think it through and if it actually made sense. And it did not. So every time I feel frustrated I point myself at my decision where I thought it through to the end and just continue. And life is getting better. It just takes an awful lot of time to do and notice the results.

·
Registered
431 Posts
There's times when I seriously do think about it, try and imagine a gun to my head, pretend to hear the click of a trigger, the blast of the bullet, but then later I'll feel ashamed/stupid for even contemplating it. I think if a person wants to take there life though, it's their life, their body, who are we to say what's best for them? All we can do is convince them that they will be missed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Under most circumstances, it's unnecessary. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I am for human euthanasia, however, in cases of terminal deteriorating illness.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
A long time ago I used to truly hate people who thought of suicide as a way out. I thought it was pansy, weak, and pathetic -- if they wanted to go stop blabbing about it and just do it.

However, one thing that truly changed my perspective on things (besides simply growing up) is when I was on my "nothing can hurt me" immortality skit I ended up getting sick with a temporary blood infection. This led to pain induced insomnia and stuck in a depressing hospital. In there, I had to get my blood checked regularly and I noticed that when the nurse would take my blood I would strangely feel better -- I related this later to people who may cut themselves and feel better. Extending on that though, it felt like something in your body was causing you harm and you wanted to get rid of it, with blood that's possible, but with thoughts it's far more difficult.

Back to the illness, over those few weeks of severe pain I had a moment where I wanted to "give up," but fortunately it only lasted a few days and I was able to use it as motivation to push myself further. A lot of tremendous things happened after that and in my eyes, it was a blessing to almost die.

With that in mind, I don't think suicide is natural in that we were never meant to do it, but I do think it's natural feeling based on various pressures that we are too overwhelmed to deal with.

Long story short, one of the reasons why I'm going into Policing is in relation to this. I think police can do a simple basic job of law enforcement, but I also think they're some of the frontliners to witness many of these and other problems.

I'll cut there before I ramble more than I already did.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is something I imagine a lot. But for me it felt ingenuine. Like masochistically, it feels more natural to punch myself rather then take a knife and cut a specific point.
So same for death that i'd rather it be sort of in a genuine flow, although perhaps the route to suicide is the process of your feelings freezing up.

One thing I know is that while I have an increase in suicidal thoughts that like a meter used for the MBTI:
(Introversion --- --- --- --- --- Extroversion)
that the increase causes me to become less careful. Perhaps sort of like that second Twilight movie where the female, umm, Bella, starts trying daring activities to see Edward.
Like to process my feelings in some way, my curious turns toward the morbid.

Maybe there is just one last quest though if an INFP has actually planned it, the quest toward a true friend. Just because most friends you share this with would tone toward the suicide is selfish, unhealthy, or something.
I even once called the suicide hotline once and in my awkwardness to the guy saying he was working so that he could talk to me.. He eventually said he was calling the police to help me with my suicidal thoughts based on not being able to sleep then hung up.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong or right about it. But the perspective, in which one can legitimize ending their life, isn't one where making decisions would ever be beneficial for them. Although, if one is talking about being beneficial, it can be assumed this isn't one of the factors they must be taking into account. So, if a decision isn't based on their own benefit, can it be assumed their decision isn't the best. Our emotions and thoughts can drive us to every spectrum of the realities of being human. The intense ideas can even drive us crazy. The sanity is balance. Spending all your time in one end of reality and ignoring another could justify suicide. What really is the point of death any more than the point of life? Questions like that I'd like to ask someone.

Has anyone here seriously considered suicide? I'm interested to know your thoughts and how you coped. And what were the questions that were spawned? How did you exorcise your demons?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've seriously considered suicide three times in my life. The first time my mother stopped me prior to me fully developing a plan, but I did have intent. She made me promise not to try to hurt myself in that way, and such a promise is more than just saying that I will make sure to call such and such. It is a promise on the soul level and not something that can be disregarded or dismissed. It is also why the other times I have felt suicidal I did not have true intent to hurt myself. Actually, what I really wanted was just to go to sleep and lose myself in my dreams and just not have to deal with the stress and overwhelming demands of reality. I won't go into the entirety of the particulars, but suffice it to say I do not tend to run away from responsibility and it takes a lot to overwhelm me, but when I am, it is everything all at once. :sad:

As for my true thoughts I suicide, I think that most people feel similar to what I have-they just want to get away from everything and it seems like life is just tying them up more and more until there really does appear to only be one option left. It's hard, it's frightening, and it's not something most people desire, but the need to be alive is diminished to the point where the need to disappear, to get away is so much stronger... Each poor soul just doesn't have anywhere else to turn in their minds, despite that being very contrary in most cases.

*hugs* to everyone here who has harbored those thoughts and have been through it. I know it's not easy and that it's so very hard, but you are all wonderful souls and the world truly would be worse without you. I may not /know/ you but I do love you because you are you and bring so much more beauty to world whether intentionally or unintentionally.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have had many thoughts of suicide, and I think about doing it when I get really emotional and sad or angry, and I feel I could actually do it if I had a gun, but when I calm down I think about all the things I could miss out on and how just because my life hasn't really taken off yet doesn't mean it never will or it won't get better.
My thoughts on suicide period varies by the person's reasoning. I either feel really sorry for them like a very depressed person or astonished like people who were in cults.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If I find out I'm getting alzheimers or some other mental disease like that, that leaves you a shell without a mind, and there is no forseable cure when I find that out, I'm likely going to go on a fishing trip and have an accident.

That's the only thing I know for myself.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i was suicidal once, never made a serious attempt in retrospect it was my fear of death, whch i've had since childhood, that kept me alive.they went away along with all the rest of the depression, that's a long story perhpas i'll write a blog bout it.

Reactions: Coccinellidae

·
Registered
957 Posts
Those who say suicide is a selfish decision have obviously never experienced debilitating depression. It is a way out of a seemingly inescapable hell. It's true, more mature people may be better equipped to cope with these feelings, hence the high teenage suicide rate. However, that does not justify the stigma still associated with depression and suicide.

There is no way to say whether suicide is "right or wrong", unless you're looking at the issue from a religious point of view. It is simply a decision made by a very sick person. It's extremely unfortunate and tragic to everyone involved, but for some people it's just that bad.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I've never considered suicide and never acted suicide stuff.

It just ain't me, I do get depressed, upset and have trouble with life a lot of times but I'm too stubborn to give up, I normally just live with it or start fighting for a change, I get rebellious more then anything else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is never a time when suicide is acceptable to the rational thinking mind, you are after all losing your life. You must understand that your mind works against you as well. Suicide is simply a thought that can be changed by not thinking about it, finding the good in life. Oh cool, i got 10 toes. There's been plenty of times i've thought about it, and not once was in in a clear state of thought, emotional and diluted. I've always had a personal attachment to reason and logic, as it is the only foundation any thought has any merit or standing, everything else is wobbly or misinterpreted. So keep that in mind, always know deep down what you're thinking at those moments, what you're feeling, is not based on reality any longer, and any decision made is such a state is a waste of time. Do something positive that instant. Change the course of that neural pathways by doing something else immediately. Burn it out by not thinking it.

On another note, i think there is a lot of people out there who should off themselves though. hahahah

1 - 20 of 21 Posts