Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! I'd really appreciate it if you took the time to help me out.
I've been doing s lot of research to figure out my type on my own but I'm a little confused...I'm currently an INFP but I've always had my doubts about being an S or J
:blushed:

P.S. (I'm a teen so forgive me for not really knowing myself :p)
P.S.S. (I'm definitely introverted and I THINK a feeling type)

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I really relate to INFPs in sooo many ways.
...except for their uncanny ability to read people's emotions
I'm actually pretty bad at that lol
Also, I don't live in a a dream world as much as they do. They seem to have great visual imaginations while mine is mainly linguistic (aka I talk to myself about things in my head, I don't fly away into fairy land)

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I yearn for freedom, love & acceptance by close friends and family, letting myself be happy, finding a job that I am truly passionate about (regardless of money), and making the world a better place.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

My family and I took a vacation to the Badlands of SD & the Black Hills
...I'd never seen such a breathtakingly beautiful place
The feeling of being in awe of something so much greater than you, so perfectly beautiful is amazing.
Adventures & nature make me feel alive.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

My constant anxiety (mostly shoulds, coulds,& woulds),high standards I put on myself and trying to live up to other people's expectations.
I hate arguments, I hate routine, I hate being trapped

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Decisions can be hard for me
I like to get someone to help me figure out the pros and cons
I tend to have a gut feeling one way or the other but I don't trust it
I feel happy and relieved if my gut feeling and decision are the same but if not, oh well.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I loveee hands on projects like making an awesome poster or sculpture.
I'm a perfectionist to the core with things I care about and will keep messing with the project until it's perfect in my eyes.
Yeah, I like to have control of the outcome I guess because I want to always do my best.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I went white water rafting, my memory of it is phenomenal.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I hate memorization more than I can put into words
Just the sound of "memorization" makes me cringe :D
I learn very well if I can apply it to something I already know or can relate to it in some way.
I like being hands on I guess, it tends to stick with me a lot longer.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I can be very organized when I truly need to be
...But I'm not going to organize my bookshelf if I'm fine the way it is.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I like to get both sides of the story, do a lot of research, think about the other side's perspective, then make my own logical judgements from that.
I can sometimes come to to quick of judgements about ideas because of how I feel about them, but I catch myself and go do some research.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I like to know that other people are okay and feel like they belong
But being true to myself is very very important to me

Peer pressure affects me but I'm not one to give into it.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

1:I tend not to think too much during small talk or other boring crap like that
Jokes tend to just come out of my mouth, I don't think about them
However during deep or meaningful conversations I definitely take a lot of time to think
2: I like one on one convos with people I'm close to, but with people I don't know they make me feel very vulnerable and awkward. Being in groups, they other people can entertain each other if I need time to think

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Sadly I can be really impulsive at times
I don't know if its out of anxiety of second guessing myself or what
Yes, action does speak louder than words

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends
call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on

are my friends...
A) going to Starbucks? going to the mall? going out to eat? maybe, if I feel like it
B) going to my friends house to watch TV, having a sleepover, doing other stupid stuff that wastes my time? uhhhh...no

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
irritable, moody, incapable of making decisions, procrastinate, do anything to release the stress

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When they aren't accepting,I hate rigid people who blindly follow rules or what they're told is right
I don't understand people who love power and money and will do anything to get it
I don't understand people who don't reflect on things, they just go through life never thinking about who they truly are or what they truly want
I don't like people who just follow the crowd, everyone should think for themselves

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I like other peoples point of view, it's interesting
But other than that it's hard to have very engaging conversations with other teens hahah
I wish I could though

I'd love to talk about the universe, life, God, & other crazy stuff floating around in my brain

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
not a fan of athletics, politics, or math :p

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

They perceive me as having a good sense of humor, fun loving, quirky, artsy, creative, intelligent, silly, have a big heart for everything and everyone, very "chill",weird, having it all "together"
They're wrong in the sense that I often feel out of control, depressed, insecure, and frustrated with myself, I like to keep a lot of myself hidden (those are probably all just teen feelings though :p)

They would never say I have anger issues, am a drama queen, wear my heart on my sleeve, boring, a jerk.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Going on a hike or bike ride by myself,with a close friend, or dog
Laying out in the sun
Reading
Getting coffee
Having/Making a good meal
Sleeping
Gardening
Creating something

I put my heart into this so I really hope you can help
If you need clarification on an answer I'm here!
Thanks!
:ninja:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I've been thinking about ISFP too
thanks for taking time to read my ramblings btw :)

Although Composers often put long, lonely hours into their artistry, they are just as impulsive as the other Artisans. They do not wait to consider their moves; rather, they act in the here and now, with little or no planning or preparation. Composers are seized by the act of artistic composition, as if caught up in a whirlwind. The act is their master, not the reverse. Composers paint or sculpt, they dance or skate, they write melodies or make recipes-or whatever-simply because they must. They climb the mountain because it is there.
this is very "me"

Composers are especially sensitive to the pain and suffering of others, and they sympathize freely with the sufferer.....A similar bond may be seen between some Composers and animals, even wild animals. Many Composers have an instinctive longing for the wilds, and nature seems to welcome them.
yep

I relate to these about ISFPs
...but then again, how have I been relating to INFPs so well for so long?
:unsure:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm going to second LiquidLight on the not INFP thing. But I would definetly count out J. You are not a J at all. I'm not sure about the T though. So Yes to I, Maybe S or N, Maybe T or F, P.

Really it is alright if you are not one certain type. People are allowed to flow from one type to another. I know when I'm around E's I can be a bit E ish sometimes. So don't look at the MBTI as a I must be this or must be this.

And you know if you want to be an INFP we'll accept you there too anyway.

Reactions: sunrisespirit

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay so I can be a
INTP
probably not INFP
ISTP
or
ISFP

ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless. ISTPs are fiercely independent, needing to have the space to make their own decisions about their next step. They do not believe in or follow rules and regulations, as this would prohibit their ability to "do their own thing". Their sense of adventure and desire for constant action makes ISTPs prone to becoming bored rather quickly.
ISTPs are loyal to their causes and beliefs, and are firm believers that people should be treated with equity and fairness. Although they do not respect the rules of the "System", they follow their own rules and guidelines for behavior faithfully. They will not take part in something which violates their personal laws. ISTPs are extremely loyal and faithful to their "brothers".
ISTPs like and need to spend time alone, because this is when they can sort things out in their minds most clearly. They absorb large quantities of impersonal facts from the external world, and sort through those facts, making judgments, when they are alone.
i found this about ISTP
it's me to a tee :D

they are interested in understanding how systems operate, focusing on efficient operation and structure.
^this isn't me AT ALL

ISTPs are content to let others live according to their own rules, as long as the favor is reciprocated. ISTPs endure reasonable impositions without complaint—but if their "territory" is encroached upon, eroded, or violated, they defend what they view as rightfully theirs.
however this is also me to a tee :( now I'm confused

but I guess ISTP could be a possiblity
probably NOT an INTP

(p.s. to INFPs: I love you guys <3)

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Your Feeling function is too developed and you don't have the slight misanthropy that Thinking types tend to have to be an ISTP. Not only that, to me you have a clear Introverted Feeling preference (ISTPs are Extraverted Feeling types). I think part of your issue is that you are reading definitions of the types that are temperament definitions (Kiersey, etc) and not psychological which is why you end up sometimes identifying with a type that is not your actual psychological match. Generally when we type people over here we're looking at it from a cognitive function or analytical psychology perspective, not a behavior or social roles perspective (because those associations are nebulous and superficial at best). We want to get down to the bare bones of who you are, not how you act in a given situation. So reading your post, to me it's pretty evident that 1) you are not a person who favors Intuition (making you a Sensation type) and 2) that you do have a preference for Feeling over Thinking (you're very oriented to doing what you feel is right for you). If we add MBTI typings to the mix that would likely put you in the ISFP camp (maybe ESFP depending on just how much you identify with things that are objective or outside of yourself, but I think the safe bet is ISFP).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@kl1100

Yep. Forget the behavioral descriptions - in the end, they will get you nowhere in understanding what typology is actually getting at (nor will exploring the behavior of people here get you anywhere). The only thing that will get you anywhere is figuring out how you differ from others - not how you're similar to others (because there are way more ways that people of all types are similar to each other than there are ways that they differ, so you're reducing variables by adhering to this method). Most type descriptions are essentially horoscopes with the occasional, but vague adherence to typological principles. You come off as a high F type with little in the way of thinking and intuition (trusting your gut) - I agree with the ISFP assessment 100%. And really, your misunderstandings are not age related - they're coming from being swayed by faulty information.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
I'm also in the xSFP camp here.

I relate to these about ISFPs
...but then again, how have I been relating to INFPs so well for so long?
:unsure:
They're effectively the same thing. Both have the same dominant function, which is in my opinion the most important defining element of personality.

Your Feeling function is too developed and you don't have the slight misanthropy that Thinking types tend to have to be an ISTP.
Very, very well said.

I think part of your issue is that you are reading definitions of the types that are temperament definitions (Kiersey, etc) and not psychological which is why you end up sometimes identifying with a type that is not your actual psychological match. Generally when we type people over here we're looking at it from a cognitive function or analytical psychology perspective, not a behavior or social roles perspective (because those associations are nebulous and superficial at best). We want to get down to the bare bones of who you are, not how you act in a given situation.
I'm gonna hang that on my wall. :fistbump:

So reading your post, to me it's pretty evident that 1) you are not a person who favors Intuition (making you a Sensation type) and 2) that you do have a preference for Feeling over Thinking (you're very oriented to doing what you feel is right for you). If we add MBTI typings to the mix that would likely put you in the ISFP camp (maybe ESFP depending on just how much you identify with things that are objective or outside of yourself, but I think the safe bet is ISFP).
I like ESFP or ISFP as well for this one. He seems a bit more open to social interaction than the ISFPs I know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
- Ne is also an objective function. How it differs from Se is that it does not notice physical, concrete objects, but it notices the ideas or concepts inherent or present in these objects. Every object can suggest ideas and possibilities. Playing with ideas, concepts, metaphors, and meanings of words energize Ne.
but this sounds just like me :(

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@kl1100

Are you sure you're not mistaking tert. Ni for Ne? I don't know how you can be so confused between Ne and Se. One's utterly concrete, and the other's utterly metaphorical. INFPs tend to come off as ethereal outwardly, while ISFPs tend to come off as more action-oriented and here-and-now people outwardly (unless you're Michael Jackson, but he had major, major problems and, as we tend to speculate here, that he was probably in some Fi-Ni loop).

Reactions: LotusBlossom

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe I am Michael Jackson :O
What exactly do you mean by tert. Ni for Ne?
(sorry, I'm new to this)

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
bu this sounds just like me :(
What do you test as when you take the test repeatedly at different intervals? Like take it now, then a month from now then a week later :p etc. I can relate to some stuff you said, especially to not trusting gut reactions (even thou i go with them sometimes) ^^ doubts lol.

Some things you said were more ISFP then INFP, but the picture we get of people from posts like these is missing pieces and people can mistype you.

Think of yourself as a giant puzzle and through the forums we only see some bits of it. I wouldn't rely on asking others who don't know you about your MBTI type. It gets you nowhere, trust me :p.

..also keep in mind that some people here like to be right and enjoy flexing their knowledge muscles a lot, but the things they say are mostly hit and miss. Sometimes its true sometimes not :p.

The only place I'd trust the information I'm getting is when determining someone's core enneagram fixation. That is easier, because it is visible, unlike MBTI functions, which are not.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
You're going to have to learn about cognitive functions, since those form the basic foundations of the types. In each type code, 4 functions characterize the types and are organized in a hierarchy of priority from "most preferred," which would be the dominant function (it's the one that comes as naturally as breathing to a person), 2nd most preferred (auxiliary function, which supports the dominant), 3rd most preferred (tertiary, which is the relief function and also, often serves to protect the dominant), and the 4th most preferred, the inferior function, which tends to be where people struggle the most with inferiority complexes. It's important to note that everyone has all 4 basic functions (an N, and S, a T, and an F), and likely 4 unconscious functions of the opposite attitudes from the dominant. There's a lot of information here and other places on cognitive functions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, I worded that wrong :p
I do know about the cognitive functions
But what do you mean mistaking Ni for Ne?

this helped me
"Ne sees multiple possibilities, Ni sees the "hidden truth" within.
As somebody colorfully explained - Ne goes: "A, B, C, D... Z". Ni is more like "A, Z". "

this helped too
http://www.psychologyfitness.com/se-vs-si-understanding-your-personality-tests-results/

if I'm an S, I'm definitely an Se
and if I'm N, I'm definitely an Ne
maybe that's why I'm so torn between INFP and ISFP?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
thanks for the great advice @Rim :)
although enneagrams confuse me
I've had even more trouble with those hahah
^^ yeah, I was like that for a while too :\ meh these things just aren't that obvious at first. you'll figure it out :).

One last thing I want to say thou. Regardless of type, eanneagram or MBTI :) you are yourself, so don't let types box you in or prevent you from doing/achieving what you want.

Good luck and I also wish you patience. :p

·
Registered
813 Posts
After the second response, I was fairly sure of ISFP. At the same time, I'm not sure of my type, either, so take it with a grain if salt.
Like @Rim said, don't get too caught up in your type... It's on,y one facet of who you are. It's too easy to define yourself by a set of cognitive functions, but that takes all the humanity out of you and turns ya in to "just a brain" interacting with the world via a set of functions. Good luck! Relax and don't take it too seriously. :)

Reactions: sunrisespirit
1 - 20 of 26 Posts