Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there ever, in the history of the world ever been a fictional villain who resembles an INFP in anyway? I am struggling to think of any.

I do see some emotional manipulative characters who normally fall into the ENFJ catagory than anything else, but no-one that has the chilled out vibe of an INFP.

I mean I remember a supervillain Jasmine (for anyone who has seen Angel) who wanted nothing more than world peace but actually ate people in order to get it, although I would still put her in the ENFJ catagory.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Can't tell any names, but somehow I remember a villain who was like super compassionate and all that, but could kill without any remorse. Oh shoot, why can't I remember who that was.

Lex Luthor is an interesting case, but I think he's clearly an extrovert.

Hmmm... this is going to bug me now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think Hitler was probably an INFJ instead.

But seriously, it is difficult for me to imagine a truly villainous INFP. I think a villainous INFP would inspire sadness and pity more than fear or loathing. Such a person would have to be a fallen idealist, perhaps ranking anywhere from Type II (most likely) through Type IV on the tvtropes Sliding Scale of Anti-Villians.

I could also imagine a histrionic and manipulative INFP, and while such a person might be insufferable, it is difficult to imagine them as truly evil.

Hmm, what about Sy Parish from One Hour Photo? Was he an ISFP, or an INFP? Or neither.

Reactions: Arrow

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd imagine an INFP villain being, indeed, like a fallen idealist. Someone who has suffered disappointment after disappointment from the world they were desperately trying to change for the better. Toss in general mental stability and maybe some traumatic experiences and a messiah complex and ta-dah, you've got yourself an INFP villain.

As for how an INFP villain would act in a fictional story... To be honest, I don't think INFP villains would be the kind to amass a huge following or gather minions around them or whatnot, at least not alone. Now, if they first managed to gather a small circle of like-minded individuals around them, which might be possible, those followers could of course take care of the difficult task of wooing the public. But say our INFP was a sort of supervillain, with some powers that could prove a significant threat to all of mankind. Or perhaps they were a powerful wizard or something. In that case they might not need the aforementioned followers, though they might still acquire them through displays of power.

As for what our INFP could hope to accomplish through their vile deeds... I think a messiah complex, as I mentioned before, could be a strong candidate. A delusional, mentally unhealthy INFP might think they are the only one who sees the truth in a world of sheep, the only one with the purest and most righteous ideals. They might genuinely think they are doing everyone a favour. Frankly, I find it hard to imagine an INFP as an egoistic villain who only wants to benefit themselves.

Then again, I guess it'd also be possible that the INFP would see themselves as a sort of avenger, making the world pay for its crimes, for all the disappointments and all the pain it has caused to our unfortunate villain. All in all, I think the INFP villain would be quite a sad and tragic character, and most definitely not a fluffy kitten who is awwwww so cute and fluffy look I think someone's a bit angry isn't that just the most precious thing you've ever seen?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Travis Bickle from the Taxi Driver.

I can see INFP (in a role of villain) as an unhealthy, disillusioned idealist. Bitter and bored towards the unfairness of life, INFP could become as a bitter school shooter/"let the world burn" type of nihilistic creature . Neverthless, INFP villain does wrong because they see that the end justifies means.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd imagine an INFP villain being, indeed, like a fallen idealist. Someone who has suffered disappointment after disappointment from the world they were desperately trying to change for the better. Toss in general mental stability and maybe some traumatic experiences and a messiah complex and ta-dah, you've got yourself an INFP villain.

As for how an INFP villain would act in a fictional story... To be honest, I don't think INFP villains would be the kind to amass a huge following or gather minions around them or whatnot, at least not alone. Now, if they first managed to gather a small circle of like-minded individuals around them, which might be possible, those followers could of course take care of the difficult task of wooing the public. But say our INFP was a sort of supervillain, with some powers that could prove a significant threat to all of mankind. Or perhaps they were a powerful wizard or something. In that case they might not need the aforementioned followers, though they might still acquire them through displays of power.

As for what our INFP could hope to accomplish through their vile deeds... I think a messiah complex, as I mentioned before, could be a strong candidate. A delusional, mentally unhealthy INFP might think they are the only one who sees the truth in a world of sheep, the only one with the purest and most righteous ideals. They might genuinely think they are doing everyone a favour. Frankly, I find it hard to imagine an INFP as an egoistic villain who only wants to benefit themselves.

Then again, I guess it'd also be possible that the INFP would see themselves as a sort of avenger, making the world pay for its crimes, for all the disappointments and all the pain it has caused to our unfortunate villain. All in all, I think the INFP villain would be quite a sad and tragic character, and most definitely not a fluffy kitten who is awwwww so cute and fluffy look I think someone's a bit angry isn't that just the most precious thing you've ever seen?
This post reminds me of Syndrome from the Incredibles and Nagato Pain from Naruto. If they're really fallen idealists, then an INFP villain can be truly menacing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How can you tell whether a character is an INFP who had their "alternate personality" triggered, acting and/or becoming an xSTJ under the influence of our inferior Te, rather than a proper xSTJ (who may or may not have stumbled upon Fi)?

I'm struggling to accurately express what I mean by "alternate personality", but something like when your core values & beliefs are violated, and then your Te takes over, turning you into "someone else" - in my case: cold, calculating, and focused on attaining my goals at any cost.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
How can you tell whether a character is an INFP who had their "alternate personality" triggered, acting and/or becoming an xSTJ under the influence of our inferior Te, rather than a proper xSTJ (who may or may not have stumbled upon Fi)?
Te-inferior is childish and sensitive Te, Te-dom is not ^^ (this is true for all functions btw.)

INFP in their 'alternate personality' role are not as effective as those who are usually that role, the ESTJ's. INFP operating on their shadow make really bad ESTJ-like-bad-guys.

Reactions: SuperNova85

·
Registered
117 Posts
Te-inferior is childish and sensitive Te, Te-dom is not ^^ (this is true for all functions btw.)

INFP in their 'alternate personality' role are not as effective as those who are usually that role, the ESTJ's. INFP operating on their shadow make really bad ESTJ-like-bad-guys.
Fair enough. :)

Any examples of Te-inferior villains or characters you can think of for comparison purposes?

I am kinda curious how long we can keep up the Te-inferior "charade" though. From my experience, it normally lasts one or two days MAX before I burn out mentally, emotionally, and/or physically and revert back to the king of my Fi-dom.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Any examples of Te-inferior villains or characters you can think of for comparison purposes?

I am kinda curious how long we can keep up the Te-inferior "charade" though, given that for me, it normally lasts one or two days MAX before I burn out mentally, emotionally, and/or physically and revert back to the king of my Fi-dom.
Eh, some people can be gripped by Te for quite a long time, I don't really know how long 'long' is though. If I do find out, I'll let you know. ^^;

As for Te-inf villains... Hm. I'd say it comes close to a villain who normally plans her/his evil business using Fi-Ne. A trigger for the inferior would be negative criticism from peers on the plans or when this villain's personal values are endangered, like a good guy taking away the villain's superpowers or something. Sorry I can't really come up with any villain like this. ^^; Perhaps the Joker in The Dark Knight? Hm, prolly not. ^^;

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I feel like the INFP would more likely be an evil person's sidekick rather then the truly evil person on their own. For instance I am imagining someone like Harley Quinn, who just does evil because they're love interest does evil or maybe Posion Ivy who is a well intentioned environmentalist even though all of her actions are rather misanthropic. I am imagining a villainous INFP as an anti-villain who only does evil because they are forced into it to protect something they value, idealize and deem has utmost importance/merit.

I also think Dark Willow could be what an INFP would look like if they went evil. Although she might be more Fe driven then Fi. Her idea of justice was to spread pain to those who killed the love of her life and who tried to kill her best friend. Basically I imagine their causes would be justifiable, not out right evil.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I am imagining a villainous INFP as an anti-villain who only does evil because they are forced into it to protect something they value, idealize and deem has utmost importance/merit.
How about Two-Face? Though... Harvey Dent was more Fe-dom, I think.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
How about Two-Face? Though... Harvey Dent was more Fe-dom, I think.
Dent doesn't remind me of a Fi-Ne character or even Ne-Fi.

I've heard that Dent is seen as an ESTJ and I can see that in him, Te+Si or maybe a chaotic ISTJ. He also strikes me as an individual who has no real concept of morality on his own. The reason he has problems with being a villain is because he sees everything as being chance there is no stability or morality. He doesn't know what right and wrong is, I think at some point Fi would need to know that or it couldn't act. At least Fi+Ne, Fi+Se could be completely different. Maybe it takes Fi to be confronted by something "wrong" in the moment to make Fi kick in. For instance contrast Dent with someone like Buffy (who is either ISFP or ESFP) and you begin to see how Fi effects her actions in the moment vs. someone who has no concept of right and wrong and is completely driven by how something is perceived to him (Si), almost arbitrarily and chaotically.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some good ideas here. Yeah I always thought some of the most chilling and complex villains were the ones who really believed in their heads they were doing good but they were actually hurting everyone, kind of tragic as many have said.

I think there have been many emotionally gentle villains who can sometimes make a nice contrast to some of the more 'out-there' villains such as ENTP Joker and Lex Luthor.

I think a villain fulled by revenge and emotionally powered by intuition is probably the scariest villain of all.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I think Hitler was probably an INFJ instead.

But seriously, it is difficult for me to imagine a truly villainous INFP. I think a villainous INFP would inspire sadness and pity more than fear or loathing. Such a person would have to be a fallen idealist, perhaps ranking anywhere from Type II (most likely) through Type IV on the tvtropes Sliding Scale of Anti-Villians.
Well-Intentioned Extremist - Television Tropes & Idioms

An INFP with an overdeveloped Te can be a scary, scary thing.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts