Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this has been posted here yet...

From INFP vs. INFJ: A Functional Analysis

INFP vs. INFJ: A Functional Analysis

I think it's useful here to start by recognizing that INFP (Fi, Ne, Si, Te) and INFJ (Ni, Fe, Ti, Se) share zero function attitudes, so they will orient all four functions in opposite directions from one another. INFPs and INFJs, when analyzed in depth, really have very little in common in terms of their personal philosophies and motivations.

This may seem counterintuitive, but I'm going to start with the auxiliary functions instead of the dominants, because they are the extroverted ones when we're talking about introverted types, and it's almost certainly easier to explain an introvert's secondary externalized side than his dominant private side.

Auxiliary: Ne vs. Fe

INFPs, because they show the outer world their flexible Ne side more readily, will appear much more open and accepting on the surface, and indeed they will remain that way as long as their interactions with you remain relaxed and enjoyable and do not require getting into serious ethical analysis or put them in any uncomfortable situations which might make them feel morally conflicted. They will appear flexible now (Ne), and steadfast later (Fi). They are generally open to all sorts of new experiences and connections between different experiences--they love to get at the heart of the people's true character by finding and comparing the ways in which different individuals have different unique "flavors", each offering its own special kind of meaning, and they love to observe the connections between different individuals in this regard. They may come off as rather reserved at first, but it doesn't take too long before they will at least open up Ne to you and relate to you on a surface level--this usually happens in terms of discussion about some common interest, such as art, philosophy, music, etc...anything that will seem interesting and noteworthy to the collective of people the INFP deems worthy.

Inside, however, they are far more rigid and unyielding in terms of the extraordinarily high ethical standards they place on themselves and anyone they consider close enough to be a trusted friend. When you become close to an INFP, you are accepting a responsibility to uphold the high personal standards that define the INFP's entire self-image and existential philosophy. INFPs will offer only the very best ethical treatment of their friends and loved ones, and they expect no less in return--if you cannot fulfill this sacred bond to the same level they hold themselves to, you should not commit to such a close relationship in the first place.

INFJs, on the other hand, show the world their meticulously organized Fe side more readily, and thus will almost invariably come off as more serious, focused, and directive by nature. Remember that INFJs are, in truth, more similar to their INTJ cousins than they are to INFPs. Don't be fooled by the F in their types; it's often said that INFJs are as close as one can get to being an NT without actually being one. Because they relate to the external world primarily in terms of collectively upheld, objectively verified (by widely accepted cultural and social standards) ethical perspectives, they will often find themselves more readily capable of immediately generating rapport with others (assuming they are not NiTi loops, in which case they will be absolutely horrible at it), but short-term Fe rapport often lacks the depth of deeply personal connection upon which Fi dominants thrive (and provides the basis for the primary Fi criticism of Fe philosophy.)

Example: An INFP and an INFJ show common Fi vs. Fe methods of relating to people.

INFP: "I know just how you feel--I've felt just the same way when that happened to me, and it really hurt. You should be able to say how you feel even if others don't always necessarily think it's appropriate--as long as it's truly from the heart. You should never go against what your personal moral compass says, even if that goes against the commonly accepted morality of all of your close family and friends and anyone you respect. I don't want to know what you should feel--I want to know what you do feel."

INFJ: "I can sympathize with where you're coming from--allow me to emphasize some sort of cultural bond or familial connection that relates us in an objectively observable way and suggests that we have some degree of responsibility toward each other. Only through committed responsibility to these objective relationships can we form the social hierarchy by which we will decide--together through collective experience--what constitutes moral and ethical behavior within the communal bonds of our lives together. Morality is simply too important to be decided by any individual without any input from the consensus of the people he trusts, loves and respects."

**It's worth noting that Fe doesn't mean automatically conforming to whatever the people who happen to be physically surrounding you right now are doing. That's a big misconception about Fe. It simply means drawing on the moral opinions of the people who are genuinely important to you--your friends, family, any group or "tribe" to whom you feel an emotional obligation--in order to consider a wide variety of relevant information in order to make moral decisions in a way that can be collectively understood and upheld by a large group of people. Note that Fe's focus--providing a collective framework by which groups can judge morality objectively across many contexts--is more practical and utilitarian, while Fi's--providing a personal sense of how to judge the inherent value or worth of the essence of people and ideas--is much more idealistic and individualized. Je creates external sense of communal structure; Ji creates internal sense of personal value.

continued...

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The INFP's dominant Fi is an introverted judgment (Ji) function, meaning the top priority for INFPs is full, deep, robust, profound definition of precisely what values the user finds instrumental to the essence of his personal identity and that which he finds to be fundamentally "good" or "bad" at its root core. But it's more than just good or bad; on a grander scale, the INFP is concerned with the very essence of Good and Evil, Meaningful and Not Meaningful, Sacred and Not Sacred. This duality becomes central to the moral philosophy of many Fi dominant types.

Fi users believe there is a definite moral order to the universe (meaning that it is inescapably true that some things and some ideas are inherently more valuable, more virtuous, and more worthy of positive evaluation than others), and that the only way we may catch a glimpse of this sacred ideal is by allowing ourselves complete and total connection and understanding with our emotional responses and the way they reflect that which upholds the internal "essence" of moral goodness as we understand it subjectively and individually. One INFP friend calls it "The uh oh feeling" when his Fi (bolstered by Si) somehow "senses" almost immediately that a new person is up to no good.

For Fi, standardizing ethics collectively misses the point by blunting the individual's unique identity and influence so much that the real significance is lost.

Morality for Fi is not something that anyone else can tell you how to approach: it's something you just have to look inside and feel for yourself. Morality is too complex and nuanced, reasons Fi, to be marginalized by approaching it from a collective standpoint. It's too dependent upon the essence of the individual and his personal impressions, too subject to that individual's experiences and understanding to even be approached (or worse, insisted upon) by anyone else. As soon as you try to design moral philosophy that works the same way for more than one person, you've ruined its inherently individualistic nature.

INFPs often have a distinct habit of letting resentment and negativity build up toward someone until they're so incredibly upset that they can't help exploding into a Te-rundown of precisely everything you are doing wrong and why it's simply not acceptable in moral terms they can justify (Fi.) At least two INFP friends have told me that when they focus on explaining and resolving their grievances routinely and calmly before they have time to bottle up and fester into huge issues, they find themselves much more able to maintain the deep one-on-one connections they invariably must form with others, and to reach even greater personal understanding and empathy as a result.

On the other hand, the INFJ's Ni is an introverted perception function, meaning it's not making any kind of value judgments. It's only taking in impressions--as many different possible interpretations of the significance of any given idea or event as possible. That may sound similar to Ne on the surface, but it's not--Ne is picking up a lot of different events and ideas at once and looking for common threads between them; Ni is picking one idea or event at a time and examining ("from a clean slate", as Yukawa says) every angle of every component of that one thing in order to find any as-of-yet untried interpretations that might cause us to view the whole issue in an entirely new light.

It's often very difficult to convince an Ni dominant on a mission to stop and reconsider what you have to say. Typically, INJs have already given substantial consideration to the future implications of their actions, and thus once Je has made up its mind and begun executing the plan, it's really going to throw a wrench in the INJ's day to stop and listen to your critiques. Ni has thought through each angle individually and in depth, and now Fe (or Te, for INTJs) is carrying out the plan.

But if you can break through that Je shell and really get the INJ to stop and reconsider what he's doing, he'll come to be more open to different interpretations and approaches to the idea than will the INFP, because he isn't as bound by rigid personal Ji value judgments of morality or consistency. A substantial strength (and also potentially a weakness--as Ni should be the first to point out!) of Ni is that it can simultaneously make use of two mindsets that Ji would almost certainly consider incompatible, because it's good at finding unique interpretations that would allow both positions to (potentially) be true.

Ni on its own doesn't really care whether either position or both or neither is "true"; it's merely a perceptive function, and thus not in the business of declaring such value judgments as truth or falsehood. It merely condenses different interpretations of how things might be understood into elegantly simple conclusions that borrow the useful elements of each, while eliminating those which conflict with each other in order to generate uniquely subjective and personalized conceptual paradigms. Ni, left to its own devices, can potentially justify anything.

And so, to continue the earlier pattern, INFJs will appear steadfast now (Fe), and flexible later (Ni.) It all just depends on where they are in the planning stages/how close they feel to achieving the singular vision of the future they are constantly developing, and whether or not they know you well enough to trust you with seeing their raw, exposed Ni without the Fe side smoothing things over. They are keenly aware that this is not something a great many people can be trusted with seeing.

continued...

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tertiary: Si vs. Ti

For INFPs, the tertiary relief function Si is consulted in order to provide them quick reference to the real feelings and experiences that have affected them profoundly in their past experiences. Fi+Si doesn't consciously say, "Ok, the last time this happened it caused a negative emotional reaction for me; therefore I will avoid it now"; Fi simply instinctively begins to experience the terrible emotional state Si has associated with whatever negative experience, and panic and dread take over, forcing the INFP to escape this situation at all costs, for fear of being forced into that state again. Fool me once, shame on you--fool me twice, shame on me.

I have seen INFPs who, once they begin to develop Si, start to pay very close attention to possible contaminants which could taint the purity of their physical bodies in the environment around them. They'll become extra careful to check food to make sure it hasn't gone bad, has the right nutritional content, etc. Some of them either insist on seeing a doctor more often than necessary, or become distrustful of doctors in general and avoid the experience, if they've had some negative past experience with doctors or medication (as, unfortunately, a fair number of INFPs have.) When applied positively though, it gives them a grounding into something real, something they can hold on to that they know will always be there for them because it always has been--this can be instrumental in leading the INFP into the spiritually aware and comfortable state she desires.

For the INFJ, tertiary Ti provides a sense of balance when Ni has determined that Fe's objective social standards are an inappropriate interpretation for this situation, but Ni has become tired of running around in circles justifying every angle it can possibly think of and not coming to any real conclusions about which is subjectively most important to the INFJ herself.

Ti comes along and provides a clearly defined, uniquely simple and thankfully (for the brain-fried INFJ who's been thinking all day) complete solution that he can apply to all of his own personal evaluations because it's clearly consistent and rational, and it appeals to a subjective sense of the total logical causality of all ideas, in that it seems obviously correct and consistent. When an INFJ gets overloaded with too many possibilities and can't find any useful objective guidance, he turns to Ti to decide what's ultimately reasonable and important to him. From this he can derive personal convictions and find a way to make personal value judgments without feeling he is neglecting the vital opinions of his community.

Ti can have a negative impact when it's poorly developed or when it blocks out Fe to an unhealthy degree--the NiTi loop INFJ is brutally anti-social and absolutely clueless as to how to relate to the rest of humanity. One INFJ friend told me that Ni is a very deep hole that it's very easy to get lost in and never come back. =/

continued...

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inferior: Te vs. Se

The inferior function is, of course, the Achilles' heel of every type, and the INFs are no exception. The inferior function is expressed most often when the user is forced out of his comfort zone and into a stressful situation which directly threatens him by forcing out the unconscious desires of his animus, the parts of himself he is not yet ready to reconcile with. This can be a very beautiful or very ugly thing, depending on the individual and his degree of personal development.

For INFPs, Te ideally provides an objective counterpart to Fi's value judgments by allowing them to consider the importance of accomplishing real goals through real functional external world systems. This is very difficult for many INFPs to process because forcing any sort of cooperation on others for the good of a larger system (Te) is often seen as tantamount to destroying the right to express one's personal individuality at all costs (Fi.) This moral dilemma plagues many INFPs.

Te will, on occasion, pop out and result in the INFP blowing up and telling everyone in painstakingly objective detail how poorly they are living up the expected standards of their responsibilities. It kills the INFP to do this, because she wants so badly to respect others' right to personal individuality and self-expression, but ultimately she must recognize that some people will not voluntarily cooperate and must be forced to change for the good of society as a whole--nay, for the Good of Good itself!

As far as I can tell the line of reasoning goes something like this: "You are not performing your moral duty to me as a friend (Fi) in a way that creates results others will find novel or valuable (Ne), and every time I have been in a positive working relationship in the past (Si) it has followed certain standards (Te), and while I hate to do this, you are threatening my right to personal identity here (Fi) and thus I must explain to you objectively and very, very bluntly how your behavior cannot be tolerated (Te)."

For the INFJ, inferior Se has a similar slow building process over time, and is arguably much nastier and more difficult to deal with. The first thing I always think of in reference to inferior Se is Black Flag singer Henry Rollins (obvious INFJ), and the stories of him beating the living snot out of kids who spit on him on stage, back stage after the shows.

Another example might be Radiohead singer Thom Yorke, with his amusing explanation for how he deals with the guilt and pressure of fame: "I masturbate a lot. That's how I deal with it."

One INFJ friend describes inferior Se thusly: "Man, when I was a kid, I always hated and resented jocks for their superficial outlook...but some part of me still thought, 'But oh man, aren't they SO COOL?'" That same friend, I have noticed, has learned the hard way to remove himself forcibly from conflicts before he gets truly upset--because he knows how brutally aggressive and insensitive he can become if he is pushed to the breaking point.

Se represents the raw, animalistic, aggressive, spontaneous hunger for the reality of pure, literal sensory input which Ni dominants take so much care to lock away and hide from others as much as they can. As a tertiary function for ENJs, Se has a much more helpful use, because it's under their control enough that they can use it to show others they care about appearances and trends (for Te- or Fe-oriented business goals), and, if necessary, to subtly imply threats of brute force if the adversary cannot muster up the discipline to respect the ENJ's polite requests for obedience.

But as an inferior function, few INJs learn to command Se to a degree that it becomes a substantial part of their regular healthy cognition. Its literal focus on precisely what is immediately obvious is something many INJs spend their entire lives working hard to eliminate in themselves, insistent that such shallow focus is beneath the sophistication of their constant work to see all the less obvious, hidden interpretations where Ni feels at home. But Se is still there...lurking under the surface, waiting to boil over. You don't want to be around an INFJ when it does.

Ideally, inferior Se should eventually help the INFJ to stop looking for deeper meaning in places where it's neither intended nor useful, to appreciate the more immediate value in that which is tangible and real to others (even though she herself may see it as trivially insubstantial), and to maintain a degree of spontaneity in terms of ability to pay attention to and imitate what others around her see as current and worthy of attention. Sometimes this is the only way the INFJ can get anyone to pay enough attention to what he's saying to make any real noticeable impact or difference in the world--and that's something most INFJs struggle their whole lives to feel like they are doing.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Very Interesting.......Hmmm Do INFJs agree with their explanation here?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very Interesting.......Hmmm Do INFJs agree with their explanation here?
I was wondering the same.

I do.

And I think this article could help people who aren't clear on their type to figure it out. INFJ and INFPs are a LOT different than people think. My coworker is an INFP, and while we have things in common, we are VERY different, especially WRT how we process information, how we think, WHY we believe what we do...

In fact, I relate far more to INTJs than I do to INFPs, fwiw.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After all, INFP and INFJ don't even share any of the same functions.

Here's another reference that describes the causes of confusion:

https://psyphics.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/infj-vs-infp/

Some people cannot decide if they are INFP or INFJ. Both types are idealists and seem similar on a superficial level, so it is common for INFPs to mistype as INFJs and vice versa.

Reasons for Indecision

Low J or P Scores

The official MBTI score report presents a continuum between the four dichotomies.

I/E – Introversion – Extraversion

N/S – Intuition – Sensing

F/T – Feeling – Thinking

P/T – Perceiving – Judging

In addition to showing your preferences (INFP or INFJ), it displays a numeric value that indicates the strength of the preference. 100% showing definite preference, 0% showing no clear preference. This leads to the common misconception that the dichotomies are traits, meaning a person with a high F has a low T or a person with a high J has a low P. The numbers do not measure how much of a judger or a perceiver you are but measure the accuracy of the test’s results. Therefore, if you are an INFJ with low P or an INFP with low J, the accuracy of the fourth letter should not affect your type decision.

What do P and J mean?

P and J have different meanings for each type. It is difficult to explain this dichotomy without using cognitive functions (which I will introduce in the next section). But first let us dispel some of the common myths about this dichotomy:

Js are organized and Ps are messy
Js are closed minded and Ps are open minded
Js are planned and Ps are improvisational
Js work hard and Ps slack off
In most online tests, the test questions that increase the J score surround these stereotypes.INFJ and INFP are a perfect example of why these myths are false.

INFJs are Dominant Perceivers (Pi) while INFPs are Dominant Judgers (Ji).

So why is there a J in INFJ and a P in INFP?

As mentioned in the previous article, J and P are determined by the presence of an Extraverted Judging (Je) function as a dominant or auxiliary.

INFP uses Fi Ne Si Te (Ji Dominant)
INFJ uses Ni Fe Ti Se (Pi Dominant)

The two types do not share any cognitive functions. Based on the brief descriptions here, you may be able to pinpoint which function you use more than others. The functions are arranged in descending order of strength.

continued...

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a brief summary of how the dominant/auxilliary functions manifest in these two types:

INFJ (Ni-dom)

INFJs are dominant Introverted Intuitives. Introverted Intuition is the least common dominant or auxiliary function so it is difficult for many people to imagine what the experience is like. As an INFJ myself, I can only give you my subjective experience of Ni and the anecdotes I have experienced. In the INFJ, Ni is complemented by Fe to create an uncommon depth of feeling and compassion so it is difficult to compartmentalize the experience into feeling and thought. They are the most intuitive type because they have an unfiltered access to unconscious content. Unlike INTJs, who share the same dominant function, the intuition of the INFJ does not need external validation which makes it appear out of nowhere and gives them a “psychic” or “mystical” appearance.

Process

Ni searches for depth, meaning and significance in the world. It can be thought of an elastic web of insights that is constantly being refined and expanded. The goal of the function is to filter out biases and refine perception to arrive at the “one truth”. Monism, the notion that there is one truth is at the core of Ni. For this reason, it may be mistaken for Ti, especially in INTJs and INFJs with under-developed Fe. However, Ti can be conceptualized like a solid grid of principles and rules that serve as a filter function to determine if the provided data is true/valid or false/invalid. The difference here lies in the fact that Ti works similar to a mathematical function, an input is given, Ti processes the logic and returns an output. Ni, on the other hand works similar to a fine tuning radio or a camera lens that is constantly readjusted to get the right data. When it is not active in the external world, it enriches the INFJs internal world with imagination, philosophical insight, fantasy, poetic ideas and a never-ending curiosity about why things are the way they are.

Ni-Fe

Ni-Fe makes INFJs natural psychologists because it helps them model how minds work. They are not naturally introspective about their feelings but have a great deal of insight into their minds and thought processes. The psyche’s ego-defense mechanisms and self-deception are weakened by the constant filtering of Ni, therefore they can be highly sensitive and are known to have fragile egos. This obsession with truth results in the INFJ being seen as naive and innocently honest about their own motives and that of others. The auxiliary Fe absorbs the emotions and mood of the social environment. It is extremely good at interpreting facial expressions to quickly spot out insincerity or malevolent intent in other people. It also results in a natural desire to like people and be liked by them, which provides Ni with an intersting topic to study (humans). The default orientation of feeling is extroverted so INFJs constantly look for the perfectly trustworthy person to whom they can share their internal world or true selves. Feeling is usually expressed when it is experienced, otherwise it is translated into action or rationalized by Ti. As Fe users, they tend to process their feelings through self-disclosure or direct action, so they are not prone to passive aggressive behavior or emotional suppression. The INFJ does not have constant awareness of their internal feelings and reactions, so the stress they experience daily may accumulate and manifest in a somatic form in sickness or a physical feeling of malaise. This lack of awareness in mood can be seen in their facial expressions, as they do not try to (or are not good at) displaying facades. Other people may get the wrong impression that an INFJ is feeling sad or gloomy when the person actually feels neutral because the INFJ is focused in his/her internal world. Fe also provides the INFJ with a “higher purpose” to strive towards, this is usually something external such as a political/social movement, liberating the oppressed, feeding the poor. Their concern for others makes them great social leaders and humanitarians.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
INFP (Fi-dom)

INFPs are natural feelers. They have a rich emotional life that they greatly prize and have a strong understanding of their inner workings and sense of self. Fi is an ever-present evaluator that places things on a spectrum of good and evil. In the moral sense, it results in strong commitment to ideas and values as well as a yearning for spirituality and religious experience. Attraction and Repulsion are emotions that are frequently experienced by INFPs, this gives them a strong appreciation of beauty in all its forms. They are naturally attracted to the beautiful and good things in life. Fi gives the INFP an internal ideal to strive towards, they constantly seek internal perfection. They have an ideal self with ideal qualities that drives them to improve themselves. Given the breadth and depth of feeling they experience, they can easily see things from others’ perspectives. This makes it difficult for INFPs to pick sides during conflicts because they can imagine themselves in the “other’s shoes”. Fi also provides them with a constant radar of their internal emotional states, as a result they have great intrapersonal intelligence and can usually deal with disappointments and unpleasant circumstances in a graceful manner.

Process
Fi is a very complex process that is hard to define in words. Even INFPs have a difficult time explaining it because it is quite intangible and happens in the viscera instead of the head. Trust your heart above all else is the motto of the INFP. It is a very complex reasoning process that remains mysterious to neuroscientists and artificial intelligence researchers. It has to do with assigning meaning, value, worth and emotions to ideas, objects, and feelings themselves. It is very subjective and every INFP has their own individual version of the function that has been shaped by their life experiences and innate tendencies. It makes INFPs strong moralists and gives them a sense of absolute right and wrong. This process is very different from that of the INTPs because it is not concerned with creating universal ethical principles but weighing ideas by the quality of their subjective feeling tones. Fi deals with abstract ideals so it is never satisfied with particular “imperfect” instances in the real world. INFPs are just as likely to judge themselves as they judge others. This may result in unrealistic grandiosity or chronic low self-esteem depending on the distance between their ideal self and actual self. Emotions are experienced as states of the self and can be internalized into the person’s self-image. They believe feelings are at their essence so they are more likely to think “I am mad” instead of “I have anger I need to deal with”.

Fi-Ne
Fi and Ne work together to give INFPs a sense of optimism and a fresh enthusiasm for life. For INFPs, the world is created as much as it is perceived, and as a result they come across as dreamy and having their “head in the clouds”. This quality gives them unusual strength to persevere through difficult circumstances and “bounce back” from life’s disappointments. Their life force is reinforced by a curiosity and enthusiasm for life that is constantly renewed by their imagination. Fi-Ne makes them extremely creative and good with words. In combination, these two functions work to help them find just the right word or the right chord in their creative pursuits. It also makes them gifted fiction writers due to their rich imagination that is fueled by personal values. They have an emotional life that seeks expression in some form of creative outlet, and some INFPs recover from life-long depression by engaging in creative activities for the first time. Truth for the INFP is felt instead of intellectualized, therefore they are likely to practice spirituality that allows for free-exploration and feeling connections. They can be inflexible when it comes to their values and strongly held beliefs because there is usually a strong emotional charge behind their values. INFPs make great counselors because they have the keen ability to see potential in others using their Fi-Ne. But it also makes them naive and can lead to unrealistic idealism. This can be harmful to the INFPs because they have a tendency to idealize new people they meet by assigning positive qualities that person may not necessarily possess. It can also blind them from the negative aspects of reality, which may result in a dissapointment with the “real world” when life circumstances demand a reality check on “cold truths”. Fi-Ne gives INFPs a unique ability to detect sincerity and honesty in others. This gift is related to their ability to detect subtle variations in intonation and pitch when others’ voices. Along with their natural aptitude for language, they can make excellent speech therapists, linguists, writers and translators. Ne gives them an advantage in almost any academic field they pursue due to their capacity to easily grasp ideas and thus can be found in a wide variety of careers.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I was wondering the same.

I do.

And I think this article could help people who aren't clear on their type to figure it out. INFJ and INFPs are a LOT different than people think. My coworker is an INFP, and while we have things in common, we are VERY different, especially WRT how we process information, how we think, WHY we believe what we do...

In fact, I relate far more to INTJs than I do to INFPs, fwiw.
Huh, my INFJ says she relates to me more than INTJs.....o_O idk im irked by her right now. Her need to dissect everything is nice and all, but shes so skeptical of everything I sharte with her, its exhausting. :/ Even this she would be all like dissecting it. Like i dont like this, I agree with this, and everything and Im just like, can you just consider it??? o_O She says she does and questions at the same time. Honestly I am not sure anymore. I think she only trusts her own research and conclusions only. Which kind of annoys me.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh, my INFJ says she relates to me more than INTJs.....o_O idk im irked by her right now. Her need to dissect everything is nice and all, but shes so skeptical of everything I sharte with her, its exhausting. :/ Even this she would be all like dissecting it. Like i dont like this, I agree with this, and everything and Im just like, can you just consider it??? o_O She says she does and questions at the same time. Honestly I am not sure anymore. I think she only trusts her own research and conclusions only. Which kind of annoys me.
It sounds like your INFJ might actually be an ISTJ...but I'm far from being an expert. :happy:

The reason I say this is because my mother and sister are ISTJs and they do those things...I posted about them in the ISTJ forum, and a few of the ISTJs there said that's how they are too.

Reactions: ameaozora and Bugs

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My initial thought was your friend could have a Te-Fi axis which would eliminate INFJ. Otherwise , I can't tell much more. How does she feel when you present new information to her?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, thanks for the information! I really appreciate it.

Any more?
You are welcome. :happy:

I was mistyped as an INTP for a long time, so I'm doing my Ni-Ti thing and looking for info on INFJs. I'll post whatever I find to be useful here.

It's funny...a couple of years ago someone on this forum (who retired awhile ago, unfortunately) said he thought I was an INFJ initially...then he changed his mind and said probable INTP.

I think that's because of misunderstandings about how Fe actually works and because I use a LOT of Ti. Ni + Ti can apparently APPEAR to be Ne. Go figure.

I really like this blog, so far: Sage, INFP vs INFJ...the smack down, break down.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I enjoyed reading this. I think you have good insight at some points, like I use my Ne to connect other people, it feels right. And for the same reason though, you should know that saying Fi-doms are rigid is a fallacy in itself, I am not denying that we are because I know I am when it comes to my morals but it is really difficult to get there, really. Chances are you never will, as you never will reach to our deepest layers. I think that is what makes us adoptable and open-minded, unless something, someone of importance and closeness or the situations we find ourselves in conflicts our Fi. It is a deep function mostly out of reach but yes it is a judging function. I like that you catch the NiTi loops so well and us using our Te to lash out, so on spot :D that is something I am not fond of but yes I do that. I think it is a misuse of the great empathy. It is not always the wrongs you do to us or to others but we will also pinpoint where you are conflicting your own personality and motivations and how your acts that doesn't fit our morality is in fact a bigger threat to your own well being, just like the inferior Se we see in INFJs. We see that it locks them up when they think it is a relief and an escape from their morality for short-term comfort. Or that is what we see, while in fact we are as much letting our Fi and morals keep us imprisoned when we could benefit from life and find more joy and comfort if we could be more flexible.

I think you catch good observations on behavior and act although I can not agree with motivations to that degree.

By the way, when you hold onto Se, does it last long and does it make you happier? or does it wear off and leaves you in guilt and conflict?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
It sounds like your INFJ might actually be an ISTJ...but I'm far from being an expert. :happy:

The reason I say this is because my mother and sister are ISTJs and they do those things...I posted about them in the ISTJ forum, and a few of the ISTJs there said that's how they are too.
Lol im sure. Does Ti dissect stuff? I mean she reads and listens but she just.....I get mad at her when she questions my research methods and opinions, its why Im mad now and trying to work through it. She has an ISTJ mom and she is def not like her. She says she is often at war with conforming to others needs and her own. I have been helping her and sort of guiding her on what she needs to do in order to be at peace with herself because she does not really know. And shes not very assertive for herself and rather for others.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I enjoyed reading this. I think you have good insight at some points, like I use my Ne to connect other people, it feels right.

And for the same reason though, you should know that saying Fi-doms are rigid is a fallacy in itself, I am not denying that we are because I know I am when it comes to my morals but it is really difficult to get there, really.
Oh, I didn't write any of that - I found it via other sources.

I'm still learning about INFPs and INFJs, and don't have enough knowledge yet to write articles that are so in-depth.

By the way, when you hold onto Se, does it last long and does it make you happier? or does it wear off and leaves you in guilt and conflict?
I'm not really sure yet...Se and Si are the two functions about which I know the least...for now.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My initial thought was your friend could have a Te-Fi axis which would eliminate INFJ. Otherwise , I can't tell much more. How does she feel when you present new information to her?
She says thats interesting. And listens, then later comes back and tells me something about what I said before that changes it. Like us reaching a conclusion on the discussion. She comes back and is all like, "Well i dont think he is this.........he may be this". Im like Didnt we already agree on this? Why is this coming up again?? o_O And it was like a LONG discussion, took us days. lol I considered it but really I did not feel like doing that over again. XS She said when she took the test it said INFP but she feels she is INFJ since she does not portray Fi and rather Fe. And some other things. Ni than Ne. I keep telling her she is like INTJs, that she has a more "Narrow" focus on things than Ne users and it can sometimes make them not consider what others have to say about it giving a "closed minded" view to others. I know my Te is developing right now, I read that it develops during adolescence for us and it makes sense because I dont feel like my Fi is in control all the time. Im direct and prefer yes or no answers when i ask someone something; which is usually a yes or no question. I just know what to ask and what I want, simple. It can be different later such as discussing growth and personal views. Then it shuts off. Idk its a but hard to explain, its like I know how to apply my functions most of the time, or i adapt and switch when dealing with people; but dear god is it exhausting lol

Reactions: Bugs

·
Registered
82 Posts
My observation from inferior Se (when you are in the grip of it):

It is like a rollercoaster. Everything gone wild and crazy. You cannot get out from it. You constantly want the feeling of adrenaline flowing through the brain. Shutdown of Ni. Doesn't care about future implications that you create anymore.(Like fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'm just going to do it.) Obsessive focus on external world. (Like I need everything around me to be perfect, no matter what) Overglorification of sensual pleasures. (Like binge eating, drinking, smoking) Need to be constantly on rush. After in the grip experiences is over, you might felt like, WTF did I just do that?

1 - 20 of 241 Posts