Personality Cafe banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Okay, so, I admittedly only skimmed through what the op said, but I think I got the overall gist of it. The thing is, I'm still really not sure whether I'm an INFP or INFJ. I relate to both for different reasons. On the one hand, I'm generally pretty disorganized and scatterbrained, but in another way I'm also someone who likes to plan for things and have a comprehensive knowledge of something before jumping in. I typically like having some structure and order to my life, but I also hate feeling tied down by things. When I take the personality test I usually come back as INFP but borderline INFJ by like 1%. Other times I get INFJ borderline INFP. Obviously this shouldn't matter THAT much because I am what I am regardless of whether I have an identifiable label, but I'd still like to know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys I'm new here and very confused cause I taught INFP and INFJ are very much the same...

My result says I'm 51% Judging and 49% Prospecting, so is it a mistake if I took it as a 50-50%? cause the test said I can be both hmmmm... okay I think I'll backread tomorrow:) glad I found this forum though :teary:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Hi guys I'm new here and very confused cause I taught INFP and INFJ are very much the same...

My result says I'm 51% Judging and 49% Prospecting, so is it a mistake if I took it as a 50-50%? cause the test said I can be both hmmmm... okay I think I'll backread tomorrow:) glad I found this forum though :teary:
Don't despair! See this post (from earlier in the thread). INFJs and INFPs really are more like close cousins than opposites. (And on top of that, it may be possible to essentially be an INFx.)

On J/P more generally, if you're interested — and only if you're interested — in quite a lot of input from me on what J/P is about, see the spoiler in this post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for this very detailed insight on differences. I have made tests and scored somewhere between INFP and INTP. I know I am not an INTP, although I do like and even relate to it's description to some degree. Now switching between INFP and INFJ. Not sure, but I think I reflect from my own perspective, like to idealize relationships, at the same time, I always seek to keep options open, look for answers and try to understand people, their perspectives. Not sure by means I am doing that.

I always look for equality, it indeed is hard for me to take sides, even for my loved ones, I can go against in some aspects. It might indicate I am INFP. At the same time, I do look for different perspectives and like to keep options open in terms of ones decisions as long as it does not interfere with my own personal space, diversity is perfectly fine in that aspect. How does it look, INFP or INFJ?

·
Registered
23,912 Posts
How does it look, INFP or INFJ?
It probably isn't that easy to distinguish a person's type from a few lines.

If you have the time and are interested, there may be better/more feedback by filling out a questionnaire and/or starting your own thread over in: What's my personality type?

Reactions: regex

·
Registered
7 Posts
my best friend is a INFP and i can exactly tell what the differences are.. shes`s most of the time late if we`re going to meet each other, that bothers me every time. She`s also more direct in what she has to say to someone, isn`t shy to say what makes her angry and she`s much more unorganized than i.

other side, we have both a very good intuition and we sometimes feel, when the other has a rough day or something is really wrong. We can talk and listen in a good balance, sometimes we talk for hours and discussing theories and things that are out of this space, or spirituallity things, as we both are really into it. She`s my mirror and can help me to see the things clearer, brings me down to earth, like a therapist *lol* we know each other for over 10 years and i can`t imagine a life without her, she`s truly a diamond

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thank you for this very detailed insight on differences. I have made tests and scored somewhere between INFP and INTP. I know I am not an INTP, although I do like and even relate to it's description to some degree. Now switching between INFP and INFJ. Not sure, but I think I reflect from my own perspective, like to idealize relationships, at the same time, I always seek to keep options open, look for answers and try to understand people, their perspectives. Not sure by means I am doing that.

I always look for equality, it indeed is hard for me to take sides, even for my loved ones, I can go against in some aspects. It might indicate I am INFP. At the same time, I do look for different perspectives and like to keep options open in terms of ones decisions as long as it does not interfere with my own personal space, diversity is perfectly fine in that aspect. How does it look, INFP or INFJ?
You read as an INFP based on the bold text in my opinion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I find this all very interesting and helpful.

Let me explain. My ex girlfriend was an INFJ (I am a INFP). Initially I was so happy to be someone that seemed so much like me. After a while though all kinds of little niggles came up that were surprisingly difficult to sort out. After a year we broke up and i was heartbroken since I still believed we were so much alike. This thread though teaches me that we were in fact about as different as two Idealists could be with nothing in common from a functional perspective. This at least helps me understand why it all went horribly wrong.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So what happens if you were a INFP before and now an INFJ, since supposedly they are total opposites does that mean you have a split personalities? :laughing:.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
So what happens if you were a INFP before and now an INFJ, since supposedly they are total opposites does that mean you have a split personalities? :laughing:.
Well, you were likely never an INFP then, or you still are because your type doesn't change and INFJs and INFPs are functionally completely unalike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, you were likely never an INFP then, or you still are because your type doesn't change and INFJs and INFPs are functionally completely unalike.
Well I'm sure you have heard of the split personality disorder?

Or how manic depression appears as a form a bipolar disorder.

Not saying I suffer from any of these but MBTI is not a one size fits all solution, People aren't cattle that can be branded by type.

Case in point Isabel Myers (INFP) married an ISTJ - Clarence Myers.

Therefore one should always be themselves and not be concerned about type compatibility. That in itself is a form of stereotyping which I find unethical. We all have unequivocal rights however given the melting pot of opinions, traditions, cultures, faiths that exists on this planet (and perhaps in other Worlds if you happen to believe in a multi-dimensional existence). Therefore a person should not be judged by preset criteria but how they act amongst others and towards you - who they are as a person.

Thus if anything we all act on how we perceive on what the elements are in a moment and what they mean to us.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Well I'm sure you have heard of the split personality disorder?

Or how manic depression appears as a form a bipolar disorder.

Not saying I suffer from any of these but MBTI is not a one size fits all solution, People aren't cattle that can be branded by type.

Case in point Isabel Myers (INFP) married an ISTJ - Clarence Myers.

Therefore one should always be themselves and not be concerned about type compatibility. That in itself is a form of stereotyping which I find unethical. We all have unequivocal rights however given the melting pot of opinions, traditions, cultures, faiths that exists on this planet (and perhaps in other Worlds if you happen to believe in a multi-dimensional existence). Therefore a person should not be judged by preset criteria but how they act amongst others and towards you - who they are as a person.

Thus if anything we all act on how we perceive on what the elements are in a moment and what they mean to us.
Yes, I know what dissociative identity disorder (the correct term for 'multiple-personality disorder' is and bipolar disorder.

That's debatable. I don't see how your reply has any relevance to what I said or what you initially asked. INFPs have no functions in common with an INFJ. Some parts of human processing can be nurtured and influenced, but there will always be an innate way that you perceive the world around you.

In fact, your comment is not relevant in the slightest concerning your initial query. What does that have to do with figuring out your type? Nobody said MBTI is a one-size fits all (as far as personality measures go) but you're on a site that subscribes to the belief that this model has value. And according to the model, you are one type out of a possible sixteen, it's very simple.

People don't swap types or grow into others. You can develop your functions, everyone uses all 8, but you still have your default 4.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
If you're under the impression that INFJs and INFPs have little to nothing in common when it comes to the MBTI-related aspects of their personality (because functions!), or that INFPs and ISTJs have a lot more in common than INFPs and INFJs (because functions!), then with all due respect, you're inhabiting a theoretical universe that has little to do with good old reality.

I recommend that you take a look at this post — which I previously linked to (back in January) in this same thread.

And just in case that post whets your appetite for some more cognitive function deprogramming, you might also enjoy this post.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, I know what dissociative identity disorder (the correct term for 'multiple-personality disorder' is and bipolar disorder.

That's debatable. I don't see how your reply has any relevance to what I said or what you initially asked. INFPs have no functions in common with an INFJ. Some parts of human processing can be nurtured and influenced, but there will always be an innate way that you perceive the world around you.

In fact, your comment is not relevant in the slightest concerning your initial query. What does that have to do with figuring out your type? Nobody said MBTI is a one-size fits all (as far as personality measures go) but you're on a site that subscribes to the belief that this model has value. And according to the model, you are one type out of a possible sixteen, it's very simple.

People don't swap types or grow into others. You can develop your functions, everyone uses all 8, but you still have your default 4.
:shocked::laughing: First of all my "initial query" was said in jest... eash relax lol.

Secondly development is in essence "growth" therefore as you said we can "develop our other functions". Therefore I find what you say rather contradictory :wink: :tongue:

In regards to MBTI being a "one size fits all solution" well you can clearly see from other people opinions on this site that there are some who do believe that which is fine. We all have our own opinions on what we perceive, without differing opinions well the world would be a rather dull place :laughing:.

Though on the flipside differing opinions does lead to conflict but that is neither here or there as that is part of life.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
:shocked::laughing: First of all my "initial query" was said in jest... eash relax lol.

Secondly development is in essence "growth" therefore as you said we can "develop our other functions". Therefore I find what you say rather contradictory :wink: :tongue:

In regards to MBTI being a "one size fits all solution" well you can clearly see from other people opinions on this site that there are some who do believe that which is fine. We all have our own opinions on what we perceive, without differing opinions well the world would be a rather dull place :laughing:.

Though on the flipside differing opinions does lead to conflict but that is neither here or there as that is part of life.
You never said your question was in jest. You asked a question on an open forum. I'm not sure what else you expected. Of course you were going to get some kind of answer. You do realise that's what asking a question sparks right?

You may find it contradictory and that would indicate that you have clearly misunderstood the theory. Nowhere does it say, "An ENTJ can develop their Fi so well that they eventually become an INFP as a result" or something of the sort. The research is there, you just need to read it.

You seem to think that by clarifying your own misunderstandings of the theory that I'm telling you that you can 'only' think one way about the issue. False, you can believe whatever you want to. But creating faulty conclusions and suggesting they are in line with the theory, as explained by its creators, is a poor attempt to cover up your lack of research. And that's rather lazy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You never said your question was in jest. You asked a question on an open forum. I'm not sure what else you expected. Of course you were going to get some kind of answer. You do realise that's what asking a question sparks right?

You may find it contradictory and that would indicate that you have clearly misunderstood the theory. Nowhere does it say, "An ENTJ can develop their Fi so well that they eventually become an INFP as a result" or something of the sort. The research is there, you just need to read it.

You seem to think that by clarifying your own misunderstandings of the theory that I'm telling you that you can 'only' think one way about the issue. False, you can believe whatever you want to. But creating faulty conclusions and suggesting they are in line with the theory, as explained by its creators, is a poor attempt to cover up your lack of research. And that's rather lazy.
1) Hence the laughing emoticon at the end of the question :dry:.

2) I'm aware anything with a question mark will solicitate some form of response, yes.

3) I wasn't talking about the theory but what you had said lol... if it was in regards to theory I would have specified.

4) Research is not always conclusive and theories are not facts they are just well defined opinions based on observations. No theory is completely "fool proof" there are always exceptions to the rule.

Otherwise the the term "anomaly" would not even exist.

5) Again it wasn't even clarification on the theory just how some have strong opinions on MBTI being a one size fits all solution that is all eash. Plus how the world would be rather dull if we all acted and spoke the same way.

Never the less I can see that we will just go round in circles where you believe I'm talking about the theory when I am clearly not. So yeah best leave it as it is :tongue:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
1) Hence the laughing emoticon at the end of the question :dry:.

2) I'm aware anything with a question mark will solicitate some form of response, yes.

3) I wasn't talking about the theory but what you had said lol... if it was in regards to theory I would have specified.

4) Research is not always conclusive and theories are not facts they are just well defined opinions based on observations. No theory is completely "fool proof" there are always exceptions to the rule.

Otherwise the the term "anomaly" would not even exist.

5) Again it wasn't even clarification on the theory just how some have strong opinions on MBTI being a one size fits all solution that is all eash. Plus how the world would be rather dull if we all acted and spoke the same way.

Never the less I can see that we will just go round in circles where you believe I'm talking about the theory when I am clearly not. So yeah best leave it as it is :tongue:
Hence, the word 'said'. And if it was clear, guess I would have got it the first time, right?

Nice cop-out. Good luck to ya.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts