Personality Cafe banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hence, the word 'said'. And if it was clear, guess I would have got it the first time, right?

Nice cop-out. Good luck to ya.
What may appear ambiguous to some, makes perfect sense to others :).

Got too much to deal with and don't have time for a round-about debate :perc3:.

All the best to you to.

Reactions: Goetterdaemmerung

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you're under the impression that INFJs and INFPs have little to nothing in common when it comes to the MBTI-related aspects of their personality (because functions!), or that INFPs and ISTJs have a lot more in common than INFPs and INFJs (because functions!), then with all due respect, you're inhabiting a theoretical universe that has little to do with good old reality.

I recommend that you take a look at this post — which I previously linked to (back in January) in this same thread.

And just in case that post whets your appetite for some more cognitive function deprogramming, you might also enjoy this post.
Nad, read your posts m8, and I still think INFPs have nothing to do with us.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Well the closest type INFP would be closest to would be ENFP instead of INFJ in terms of function comparison, but for some reason I have met several people including a friend who are INFJ half the time score INFP in the MBTI tests? Why is that so you think?

I just personally find it difficult to understand why you would choose to sacrifice somebody who is good hearted and close to you to save everybody in that 'scenario' where you would choose who to save first. Even if they wanted out. Though not saying I would abandon any of the two.

They say type 6 INFPs can sometimes act in ways associated with INTXs or INFJs for some reason. I know that a Type 6 INFP could make a plan that can match or even outmatch a bit that of an INFJ's but it would be based on making sure there are no loose ends nor gaps to fall through with "Te" as fuel. But what would be the difference between the way we plan and the nature of the plans?

The Maginot Line in France was a 6 Enneagram person's idea who could have been of any type, as an example of what this planning can accomplish. Or any "massive impenetrable fortress" in fiction would be.

Lots of you guys like to manage leadership matters in online communities from what I've seen for whatever reason btw.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Many of my best friends have been/are INFPs and I get that we can seem quite alike. We are both sensitive, analytical, imaginative, artistic, kind etc... But someone who know MBTI theory and observe us closer can see huge differences. I have never thought that there is that much understanding between me and my INFP friends and we always have very different approach to every situation. INFPs see every situations throught their own feelings and values while INFJ gathers information through Ni. Ne focus on what could be while Fe search emotional connection with others. INFP are dreamers and INFJs are observers. Fi is about values and feelings, Si is about traditions and past while Ni gathers informations and Ti focus on organizing it. I have sometimes being very jealous of INFPs ways of naturally focusing on their own feelings, life and possibilities while I am all about observing people around me and my or other people's interactions with them! If you put me and my INFP friends in a party where nobody likes us my friends will tell you tall "they didn't feel like they would belong there" and I would say that "I coudn't connect with people". The outcome might be the same but we are actually seeing that situation and judging it very differently. :)

I can actually see some similarities between my ISTJ and INFP friends based on their Fi and Si. They are all very focus on their own habbits, traditions and beliefs. ISTJ is usually great at those everyday things(Si +Te things) INFP have problems with but might still be trying to focus on and ISTJ might feel like they are being very righteous and rightful when they might not really be...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Fi users believe there is a definite moral order to the universe (meaning that it is inescapably true that some things and some ideas are inherently more valuable, more virtuous, and more worthy of positive evaluation than others), and that the only way we may catch a glimpse of this sacred ideal is by allowing ourselves complete and total connection and understanding with our emotional responses and the way they reflect that which upholds the internal "essence" of moral goodness as we understand it subjectively and individually. One INFP friend calls it "The uh oh feeling" when his Fi (bolstered by Si) somehow "senses" almost immediately that a new person is up to no good.

So other types are not able to do this naturally? This comes so effortlessly into play in everything I do or say that I can't imagine seeing reality in any other way. Not having this as my core source of strength would be like existing without a soul.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For INFPs, the tertiary relief function Si is consulted in order to provide them quick reference to the real feelings and experiences that have affected them profoundly in their past experiences. Fi+Si doesn't consciously say, "Ok, the last time this happened it caused a negative emotional reaction for me; therefore I will avoid it now"; Fi simply instinctively begins to experience the terrible emotional state Si has associated with whatever negative experience, and panic and dread take over, forcing the INFP to escape this situation at all costs, for fear of being forced into that state again. Fool me once, shame on you--fool me twice, shame on me.

This description is too black and white. I am in fact acutely aware of Fi+Si on a conscious level because my mind is instantly flooded with images of past experiences, however it is also a very basic instinct, so in fact it is both things at the same time. Not one or the other. This process makes it really easy to categorize complete strangers into my 'Avoid This Person At All Costs List,' because it is so easy to recognize patterns of behavior, even without ever having spoke to the person.

This function really, really sucks when it's time to prepare my taxes because the negative experiences are compounded on a yearly basis. I can even feel myself start to panic about preparing my taxes when it's still 6 months away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For INFPs, Te ideally provides an objective counterpart to Fi's value judgments by allowing them to consider the importance of accomplishing real goals through real functional external world systems. This is very difficult for many INFPs to process because forcing any sort of cooperation on others for the good of a larger system (Te) is often seen as tantamount to destroying the right to express one's personal individuality at all costs (Fi.) This moral dilemma plagues many INFPs.

Te will, on occasion, pop out and result in the INFP blowing up and telling everyone in painstakingly objective detail how poorly they are living up the expected standards of their responsibilities. It kills the INFP to do this, because she wants so badly to respect others' right to personal individuality and self-expression, but ultimately she must recognize that some people will not voluntarily cooperate and must be forced to change for the good of society as a whole--nay, for the Good of Good itself!

As far as I can tell the line of reasoning goes something like this: "You are not performing your moral duty to me as a friend (Fi) in a way that creates results others will find novel or valuable (Ne), and every time I have been in a positive working relationship in the past (Si) it has followed certain standards (Te), and while I hate to do this, you are threatening my right to personal identity here (Fi) and thus I must explain to you objectively and very, very bluntly how your behavior cannot be tolerated (Te)."

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

We give people chance after chance after chance to be their best in every situation and still they refuse to live up to their potential. Stop looking at us like we are freaks when we finally explode!!! You are to blame, not us. Period. Live up to your ultimate potential in every situation and with extreme authenticity or else jump off a fucking bridge and stop wasting the world's oxygen supply. Amen.

Oh yeah, and, no, I am not a fucking Beta. Just because I don't act like a dumb jock does not make me a Beta.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
For INFPs, Te ideally provides an objective counterpart to Fi's value judgments by allowing them to consider the importance of accomplishing real goals through real functional external world systems. This is very difficult for many INFPs to process because forcing any sort of cooperation on others for the good of a larger system (Te) is often seen as tantamount to destroying the right to express one's personal individuality at all costs (Fi.) This moral dilemma plagues many INFPs.

Te will, on occasion, pop out and result in the INFP blowing up and telling everyone in painstakingly objective detail how poorly they are living up the expected standards of their responsibilities. It kills the INFP to do this, because she wants so badly to respect others' right to personal individuality and self-expression, but ultimately she must recognize that some people will not voluntarily cooperate and must be forced to change for the good of society as a whole--nay, for the Good of Good itself!

As far as I can tell the line of reasoning goes something like this: "You are not performing your moral duty to me as a friend (Fi) in a way that creates results others will find novel or valuable (Ne), and every time I have been in a positive working relationship in the past (Si) it has followed certain standards (Te), and while I hate to do this, you are threatening my right to personal identity here (Fi) and thus I must explain to you objectively and very, very bluntly how your behavior cannot be tolerated (Te)."

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

We give people chance after chance after chance to be their best in every situation and still they refuse to live up to their potential. Stop looking at us like we are freaks when we finally explode!!! You are to blame, not us. Period. Live up to your ultimate potential in every situation and with extreme authenticity or else jump off a fucking bridge and stop wasting the world's oxygen supply. Amen.

Oh yeah, and, no, I am not a fucking Beta. Just because I don't act like a dumb jock does not make me a Beta.
The much-dreaded Te takedown. Oh how I try to avoid it!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Here’s the thing though: when I took the official MBTI test, I was so close on P and J that the test said I likely found things in common with both types. I am not so sure the function stacks are actually part of the original MBTI theory.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I noticed that ENTJ ESTJ have the lowest unemployment rate and INFP ISFP have the highest. Employment seems to highly correlate with the position of Te. So the Myers function stack has some real life implications.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I noticed that ENTJ ESTJ have the lowest unemployment rate and INFP ISFP have the highest. Employment seems to highly correlate with the position of Te. So the Myers function stack has some real life implications.
Unemployment statistics are typically not very accurate because high percentage rates reflect poorly on government management. The numbers are always being tightened by excluding people that are not employed yet also no longer eligible for unemployment benefits. The whole system is rigged.

That doesn't mean you're wrong though. Creative types come up with ideas for new businesses that other types manage. Creative types then move on to help create other new businesses. So in theory a creative type is more like an independent contractor, moving from job to job every six months or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so confused.. I read that infj and Infp are so different but im both! In 16 personalities i score INFJ. on what YOU write im more INFP.
Martin Luther King Jr and Mother Teresa were both INFJ yet according to your report they would be INFP?

My auntie is an INFP and she seems more open minded then i am.. She also is interested in deep things and we can chat for HOURS about life, space, theology and such things but in the end she moves on with life..
I on the other hand will run it over and over in my head. Analyzing every detail and trying to combine what was said with other truths and things i know and probably wake up at 2 am and google something.. I feel humanity misses the big picture.. I feel like platos allegory of the cave and im a philosopher and everyone else is ok living in the cave.. I dont feel smarter or better then others but i feel i am not of this world. I am lonely all the time! Even with others.. I have met maybe 3 people my whole life that i felt understood me and im 43.. I am in constant battle between logic and grace.. I take forever to make up my mind because the I must analyse the long term effects of everything.. Yet, I am a true romantic and cry over symbolic natural manifestations that touch my soul. I love quantum Physics and believe nothing is real unless it is proven but i will actually feel Gods love for me and know I am real though that experience.
I talk in lectures and can go from speaking love and feelings over to logic and reason in a heartbeat.. I seem to shut people out if i find them ignorant or shallow but i do it in a way that is most kind and gentle.
I want my brain to turn off.. I want to be content like other people and not question the motive, logic and long term projected outcome for every word muttered or science discovery unveiled.
I long to be loved for who i am yet no one gets me.. I explain things but its too hard to word right, theres not words to express the debths of all my thoughts and how they fit together. I write better then i speak.
I got excited when i read about others INFJs because i realized i wasn't alone! I understand them and feel good knowing im not alone.. But, after reading your INFP stuff, im confused again..

I am scared of being stuck, And being unknown and of not understanding how the universe all works together, but i dont fear adventure to unknow places or being homeless on the streets in India if i am convicted that im doing what is right.
I want to go off my feelings but in the end my logic based on analysis normally wins out... This makes me feel cold and heartless. But, if i am in my bubble the world can be so beautiful and i can feel im part of it and this only lasts moments in time but i treasure them.. Because for a moment my mind stopped trying to figure everything and everyone out..

What am I? INFJ and INFP had a baby and i popped out? Or, am i overthinking all this?

That probably made no sense but, sigh, thats the story of my life..misunderstood.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I am so confused.. I read that infj and Infp are so different but im both! In 16 personalities i score INFJ. on what YOU write im more INFP. ...

What am I? INFJ and INFP had a baby and i popped out? Or, am i overthinking all this?

That probably made no sense but, sigh, thats the story of my life..misunderstood.
Don't despair! Check out this post and the posts it links to.

221 - 240 of 241 Posts