Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just recently found out that I am an ISFP. I used to get INFP as a result before but I never felt like it was a perfect fit. Ive taken the test over lately and I'm kind of on the INFP/ISFP fence but my scores always lean over to the sensor side.

One of the biggest things that made me feel really unsure about being an INFP was that when I would go on the INFP forums, I could barely stand to read any of their threads. I don't want to sound mean, but the their writing was so frilly and long and drawn out. I guess thats the abstract, fanciful N showing its face in their writing.

After looking through some of the ISFP threads, I feel at home. You guys just say stuff as it is. It makes me happy. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I just reread this post and that was kind of mean of me to say. Its not that I cant stand the INFP threads, I just don't relate to the abstractness of INFPs. When I finally started typing as an ISFP and then came to our forum, I swear I felt at peace.

Also, is there any way to delete posts on this forum (I'm new here). I just realized that this thread could be offensive and I didn't mean it that way.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Okay, I just reread this post and that was kind of mean of me to say. Its not that I cant stand the INFP threads, I just don't relate to the abstractness of INFPs. When I finally started typing as an ISFP and then came to our forum, I swear I felt at peace.

Also, is there any way to delete posts on this forum (I'm new here). I just realized that this thread could be offensive and I didn't mean it that way.
We normal forum-goers can't. But if you contacted a moderator for this sub-forum, you should be able to get squared away. If you scroll down to the bottom of the sub-forum, you'll see a list of the moderators for this sub-forum.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't think it sounded mean, just honest. I totally get what you mean.

I am usually incredibly impressed by true intuitives' posts because many of them have a way of wording things just right so that every idea, thought and feeling is expressed in a beautiful way. I admire that. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding it all and it makes me feel kind of dumb. But then I remind myself that we just have a different way of thinking about things.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think it depends on the person. I could make this frilly and drawn out with lots of imagery but that would just be silly. After all who likes long writing when you can condense it in a few sentences (especially for forum posts, it's not an essay)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I kept a journal on a trip abroad, and I found that I wrote about physical objects in great detail, ie: the chocolate chip cookie I ate was hard and dry; the guy I met on the trail was tall and lean with blue eyes and dark hair.

I would also recap what happened in great detail, focusing on the physical happenings, ie: the red-headed woman gave me a high-five as I stepped out of the hut and sloshed through the mud to get back on the trail.

When I later read a travel journal written by an INFP, her entries were more insightful, and her wording sounded more sophisticated than mine. She had less details about the physical world, and more focus on what she thought and felt about things she saw and experienced. . .

ie: she noticed a majority of the native families were over-weight, and attributed this to the rise in fast-food restuarants in the area. She felt upset by this, because no one had ever educated the natives on proper nutrition, since it had never been an issue in the past. Her journal went into how the problem could possibly be solved.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For me when I journal I usually go into the details as the hidden implications can be drawn out later anyway. I like to do things in my head instead of writing all of it out.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
The differences seem quite true & it's not offensive to me for them to be noted. Although, it is important to note these are still generalizations. I've certainly seen an ISFP wield a metaphor before.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The differences seem quite true & it's not offensive to me for them to be noted. Although, it is important to note these are still generalizations. I've certainly seen an ISFP wield a metaphor before.
Yeah, I'm not saying that ISFPs dont use any metaphors. I've just noticed that a lot of posts from ISFPs tend to be written in short, concise paragraphs, while the INFPs tend to write longer sentences and paragraphs with more theoretical speech in them. Sometimes I wish I could write like that, actually.

On the same note, do (or did) any of you ISFPs have a hard time writing long essays for school? I always have a hard time meeting the page requirement for those assignments. And I'm not one of those people who B.S. their essays either. Even if I've checked out 20 sources from the library, I'll still end up a page or two under the requirement. Its like I cut out anything that isnt completely, 100% relevent to my point.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting. I kind of want to compare writing samples...

I always wished I could be ISFP... I so do admire that conciseness. The brevity-- emphasis always on EXPERIENCE rather than IDEAS. It's nice. If I could live that way... *sigh*

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ehh.. we focus on ideas too. i think its a big misconception thats SP's are all experience, all the time. i spend a lot of time thinking about ideas. but usually im thinking about something that directly affects my reality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although definitely an ISFP (never any question about the N/S in the tests), writing is a big thing for me, and I tend to focus more on nuances and meanings, hidden feelings, and characteristics of people and situations, rather than on the physical world around me. Probably more along the lines of an INFP writing style - certainly the subject matter could be more typical of an INFP. Do you think writing styles would be governed more by personality type or inherited ability? Most of my family is good at writing, and we are all different types.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Although definitely an ISFP (never any question about the N/S in the tests), writing is a big thing for me, and I tend to focus more on nuances and meanings, hidden feelings, and characteristics of people and situations, rather than on the physical world around me. Probably more along the lines of an INFP writing style - certainly the subject matter could be more typical of an INFP. Do you think writing styles would be governed more by personality type or inherited ability? Most of my family is good at writing, and we are all different types.
Several thoughts on this. When I was younger, I wrote for my high school newspaper, and was considered pretty good. I also was good in creative writing class. I wouldn't call my writing any great literature, but it was fun and, according to others, creative. I've always written, but my big problem is lack of organization, and my inability to draw conclusions. I know what I want to write, but never get there. It's like I talk around the point without ever getting there. My extroverted "P" trait, I guess. ;-)

Anyway, if you grew up with writers, and reading a lot, that would have a great impact. Environment shapes us in big ways.

Another point to consider is that we are tertiary Ni. It tends to hide behind the surface, working its wonders, but it is still a powerful part of us. Add that to Fi, and you get a weird approximation of a dominant N type. I just read this weekend, that many consider the ISFP to be the most theoretical of the sensor types, esp. the SP types. I can see that.

Lastly, at our age, we are fully developed, function-wise, so our Te and Ni will show up more, and be under greater control than with a teenager or a twenty-something. It's not that they won't be able to use them to good effect, but that they are probably less able to refine their use of them. But I put this one last, because I suspect it has the least impact. Primary impact, IMO, comes from your upbringing. I grew up in a well-read family. My dad was a teacher and preacher, and loved learning. My mom was also intelligent, and read, and instilled in me a love for reading and learning, as well as experimenting. But for me, reading probably had the largest impact. I read all kinds of genres at a relatively young age. I'm betting something comparable for you. People who read intensely and extensively tend to be better with writing than those who don't. At least that's been my experience. I have to confess, though, that while I stink at poetry, one thing I'm always striving for is a good turn of expression--how words sound together, or even look. I like alliteration and parallelism in writing. It's fun. I also like plays on words (not necessarily puns, but I love puns too). I don't do any creative writing any more--haven't since I went to college. Sometimes I regret stopping, just like I regret quitting my piano lessons. In any case, you aren't unique here. :) (I'd suspect, in fact, that since this is a forum, where the means of communicating is through the written word, you will find lots of us who are decent writers, and of the sort you are)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I really like reading ISFP threads.
I used to think I might be ISFP, but studying the cognitive functions more thoroughly I'd say it's almost impossible...

I guess I like it because we're similar enough to understand/relate to what they say easily and they often highlight things that are right under my level of awareness: like reading the part of my perceptions I often fail to pay attention to.
Sometimes reading other N types posts seems tiring/stressful for me too.

This place is like a temple that brings back balance. :)

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
I also enjoy reading isfp threads. They are delightful. I too thought that I was an isfp but then realized that it wasn't that good of a fit. But still, I feel very close to isfp, even though I am either an esfp or an enfp. There is no option of exfp...

Reactions: ferroequinologist
1 - 15 of 15 Posts