Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about this a bit and every time some poor INFP comes up and says her enneagram is a 7, she's told she's an ENFP. I just wanted to share my thoughts about why this happens and maybe clear some things up, but this might not be true anyone else. Hopefully still helpful.

For me, the 7 thing is a learned trait. I never was very bubbly or outgoing until only a few years ago. I had to learn how to be outgoing and eventually mis-typed as an ENFP because this. It's kinda confusing, considering how introverted the ENFP is, and that I test at around 50% now on the E/I scale. (Used to test FAR more in the I side of things.)

But the thing is, I can BE the bubbly, life loving chicka (and usually am when I'm excited about a new idea or new relationship), but it's a learned habit. I tried to become more outgoing because pfffft... what fun is being shy and unable to talk when you can be crazy and hyper? Better material for my writing and the reactions are always fun, even if I beat myself up over them later because I embarrassed myself. :blushed:

So an argument for being I and not E? A bunch of friends were hanging out together when a mutual friend came over from a state away. I went over and was varying between energetic/playful and thinking about how the interaction could be used in a book. (Or struggling to find a new topic. lol) After a few hours, however, where we were mostly low-key, I was utterly exhausted and was happy to leave.

Another? I kinda stalk my Skype when I have this brilliant idea that I want to share with my friends. (I move around a lot, so most of my longest-known friends are long-distance.) I'm quite bubbly when I have an idea that I think might illicit a unique reaction (which I can later think about why they reacted that way). The main reason I do this, though, is because they say things that I don't think of or don't see. When the conversation is over, my brain takes it and runs with it, getting even better ideas... or often not, as what was said is just too far away from my way of thinking to connect, but when it happens, it's very powerful.

It helps that I'm a well-developed INFP. At least, I think I am. I've focused a lot on growing as a person in the last few years. The two types seem to blur quite heavily in a well-developed person. I've really been focusing on connecting more with my emotions and becoming more emotionally expressive.

Still scatterbrained as frak, though. :crazy:

Oh, and for those curious, my trifix is tested at 7w6, 4w5, 1w9 which seems fairly accurate, but I identify far more strongly with the 4 ("Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance. Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an identity)." By all the gods, YES!) than the 7 ("Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain. Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs fulfilled." lol wut? Seems kinda shallow.)

So maybe all this INFP 7 stuff is just a result of poor testing without using introspection and research to analyze the results? xD;

Or I could just be sleep drunk, since it's 5am and I have not been to bed yet. I should go do that. :mellow:

(Lo, the dangers of posting before remembering to change the title. Should have just been "INFP with a 7 Enneagram", not 7w6, which is mine specifically.)

·
Premium Member
15,326 Posts
I wanted to tell you I REALLY relate. There is no way in the world I am an E, but I have often entertained (haha, what a word to use when describing 7) there is some if not A LOT of 7 in me. I'll figure out my real enneagram at a later date, but I DO love life, I do love positivity and optimism and...... *sometimes* I love entertaining, especially on the Internet. Very nice post and I thank you so much as I have been having similar thoughts. I put up with zero negativity in my life. < - - - a bit of an embellishment there, but I hope the thought is understood, I squash negativity and pessimistic thoughts like the little bugs that they are.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww, you're welcome! :D I tend to like entertaining too, but only in short bursts. I can host a group of friends comfortably only for a short time before I need the get-together/party to take a life of it's own without my direction or if we're doing something that kinda puts part of us back into our own worlds, like video games, a board game, or cards (where all the attention isn't on each other and it's still low energy enough that I can keep my energy levels high). That said, I still prefer smaller groups and even those wear me out. I'm just bouncy in them until I collapse. xD

Lately, though, I have been reconnecting with that quiet part of me. Now I only am energetic if I'm excited, but I'm pretty excitable, sooooo... :p

I put up with zero negativity in my life. < - - - a bit of an embellishment there, but I hope the thought is understood, I squash negativity and pessimistic thoughts like the little bugs that they are.
TOTALLY understood. I'm the same way. Those people that are constantly (or night constantly) negative are the people I cut out of my life, with few exceptions. Didn't know that was a 7 thing. Haha.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been reading about this a bit and every time some poor INFP comes up and says her enneagram is a 7, she's told she's an ENFP. I just wanted to share my thoughts about why this happens and maybe clear some things up, but this might not be true anyone else. Hopefully still helpful.

For me, the 7 thing is a learned trait. I never was very bubbly or outgoing until only a few years ago. I had to learn how to be outgoing and eventually mis-typed as an ENFP because this. It's kinda confusing, considering how introverted the ENFP is, and that I test at around 50% now on the E/I scale. (Used to test FAR more in the I side of things.)

But the thing is, I can BE the bubbly, life loving chicka (and usually am when I'm excited about a new idea or new relationship), but it's a learned habit. I tried to become more outgoing because pfffft... what fun is being shy and unable to talk when you can be crazy and hyper? Better material for my writing and the reactions are always fun, even if I beat myself up over them later because I embarrassed myself. :blushed:

So an argument for being I and not E? A bunch of friends were hanging out together when a mutual friend came over from a state away. I went over and was varying between energetic/playful and thinking about how the interaction could be used in a book. (Or struggling to find a new topic. lol) After a few hours, however, where we were mostly low-key, I was utterly exhausted and was happy to leave.

Another? I kinda stalk my Skype when I have this brilliant idea that I want to share with my friends. (I move around a lot, so most of my longest-known friends are long-distance.) I'm quite bubbly when I have an idea that I think might illicit a unique reaction (which I can later think about why they reacted that way). The main reason I do this, though, is because they say things that I don't think of or don't see. When the conversation is over, my brain takes it and runs with it, getting even better ideas... or often not, as what was said is just too far away from my way of thinking to connect, but when it happens, it's very powerful.

It helps that I'm a well-developed INFP. At least, I think I am. I've focused a lot on growing as a person in the last few years. The two types seem to blur quite heavily in a well-developed person. I've really been focusing on connecting more with my emotions and becoming more emotionally expressive.

Still scatterbrained as frak, though. :crazy:

Oh, and for those curious, my trifix is tested at 7w6, 4w5, 1w9 which seems fairly accurate, but I identify far more strongly with the 4 ("Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance. Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an identity)." By all the gods, YES!) than the 7 ("Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain. Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs fulfilled." lol wut? Seems kinda shallow.)

So maybe all this INFP 7 stuff is just a result of poor testing without using introspection and research to analyze the results? xD;

Or I could just be sleep drunk, since it's 5am and I have not been to bed yet. I should go do that. :mellow:

(Lo, the dangers of posting before remembering to change the title. Should have just been "INFP with a 7 Enneagram", not 7w6, which is mine specifically.)

Yesssssssssssss! I am an INFP with a 7w6 and I can completely relate to this. I cannot tell you how many times people tell me I am an extrovert or try to tell me I am an ENFP (If they know Myers Briggs). I have to show them specific examples of how I am an introvert and then they sort of get it. But they think I'm confused or a walking contradiction. No I am not confused, I am complex :) But aren't we all?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to show them specific examples of how I am an introvert and then they sort of get it. But they think I'm confused or a walking contradiction. No I am not confused, I am complex :) But aren't we all?
Hey, that's how I introduce myself if I ever have to describe myself; there's nothing wrong with being a little (or ridiculously) contradictory. :tongue:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, that's how I introduce myself if I ever have to describe myself; there's nothing wrong with being a little (or ridiculously) contradictory. :tongue:
*High Five!* :cool:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I've come out as 4w5, 9w1 and 7w8 on the enneagram test. I think the only way you can really know is to read all of them and work out which fits you best. I know for a fact that I'm 4w5. I would really like to be a 9w1, and it's a close second (ha, except it can't really be because the 3,6 and 9 are on a triad of their own), but there's NO WAY I fit the 7 profile in any way at all. I just don't think the enneagram test is any good personally.

However, the MBTI test I have found to be consistant in results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've come out as 4w5, 9w1 and 7w8 on the enneagram test. I think the only way you can really know is to read all of them and work out which fits you best. I know for a fact that I'm 4w5. I would really like to be a 9w1, and it's a close second (ha, except it can't really be because the 3,6 and 9 are on a triad of their own), but there's NO WAY I fit the 7 profile in any way at all. I just don't think the enneagram test is any good personally.

However, the MBTI test I have found to be consistant in results.
I wouldn't say it's no good; they're not meant to be 100% accurate, and it did, after all, accurately predict your first two types. The tests (especially online) should never just be blindly trusted, which is partly what I'm trying to say here, but they can be good indicators.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@MichelleHowe - I wanted to let you know about a thread in the enneagram section of PerCafe that you *might* find interesting. I added to my signature today a quote from it about The Bard. Some people don't like the thread, but some people do.

http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/164688-162-tritypes-summarised.html
I actually find the discussion far more informative than the actual content of the first posts. Haha. I'm not too familiar with the whole enneagram theory yet (not nearly as much as I am familiar with the Myers-Briggs theory, and even that is spotty), so I don't have too much of an opinion on it yet.

The last link to Madhatter's tritype thread is far more interesting to me, if for no other reason than it makes good fodder for differentiating similar characters in my books. :p

But I ridiculously identify with the whole "147 – The Visionary Archetype" in Madhatter's thread so maybe there's some truth to the whole tri-type identification thing.

147 – The Visionary Archetype

“I experience myself as being intensely idealistic and perfectionistic. I also experience a lot of internal tension from having both 7 and 1 in my tritype. Sometimes I allow myself to be bold, playful and uninhibited, and other times I feel very serious, reserved and self conscious. I'm still pretty optimistic for a 4 and I think the future can and certainly should be better than it is and that there's a way to get there. I find myself to be frustrated with present circumstances though.”
Yeah, what you wrote above really echoes what Katherine has found with the 471. It is the most idealistic of all the tritypes having all 3 idealists.
BY THE LORDS OF KOBOL, THIS IS IT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts