Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have only the one ego, but Sometimes I feel like there is something else beyond that; like a fatherly part of myself which is like a guide, my true self maybe. It is a part of me except that it isn't the 'me' part of me, it isn't my ego it is something above that. I sound mental although it's extremely complicated to try and explain, maybe it's my soul, spirit, 'true self' or simply my subconcious I don't know. I've never felt like I have alternate ego's and I am convinced I do not. I am only the one person with one ego, but the same time I feel plural.

I suppose beyond that there is also the shell I put on to prevent myself appearing vulnerable, but that's not an ego. I don't really act diffrently with it, it's just a very thin but nonetheless firm and strong extra layer of protection.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Joke answer:

My alter ego is my id. Isn't that a scary thought?

Legit answer:

I tend to think that I've always maintained something of a duality in my personality. It's not a split personality, but there's definitely a very clear distinction there between a bright side and a dark side. Some of my friends have noticed it in the past. One side of me is bright and chipper and humorous and witty, and the other side is dark, brooding, melancholy, and macabre. At times in the past I've given contrasting names to these two sides of myself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
As a kid I had many alter egos, mostly because I had no idea who or what I was/wanted to be. I threw away each alter ego quite heartlessly, I look back at some of the stuff I liked and cringe. For example I had this phase where I wanted to be a fashion designer and acted like a total girly girl, I look back at it now and wonder who I was exactly at the time. I'm like that with TV shows too, I'll pour myself into a show and get obsessed with it, but once I'm done with it I never touch it again and never look back. It's not a problem or anything, its a part of who I am and I use it to help face reality.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
As a kid I had many alter egos, mostly because I had no idea who or what I was/wanted to be. I threw away each alter ego quite heartlessly, I look back at some of the stuff I liked and cringe. For example I had this phase where I wanted to be a fashion designer and acted like a total girly girl, I look back at it now and wonder who I was exactly at the time. I'm like that with TV shows too, I'll pour myself into a show and get obsessed with it, but once I'm done with it I never touch it again and never look back. It's not a problem or anything, its a part of who I am and I use it to help face reality.
Hehe, this reminded me of when I used to come up with imaginary wrestling characters for myself when I was a kid. I had so many different names. Chizzle, Michelangelo, Triple X, Renegade, Surge, The Koko Kid, Val...

Yes, I came up with Triple X years before the Vin Diesel movie.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Ive been trying to figure that out last night for a while...

Self
Shadow

But I hate thinking too much, cos I realised when I think, I am not myself. I feel or should feel that I am more manipulative, but I don't, that is half the problem.

I was weary one day that I cannot remember things any more, and I realised that I am right where I need to be now, more of an INFP, cos I cannot think too much. I also learn by sensing the environment around me and so forth.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yes. I used to write to myself, but not as myself. It would be like...hmm...asking my insides a question and letting it have unprecedented freedom to respond in order to figure out character responses for whatever I wanted. Usually to satisfy curiosity.

I kept a particular response for a few months and actually got so unsettled by it that it had to be deleted, because it sounded like the ravings of an antagonistic, asocial maniac that just looked for opportunities to destroy everything and then justify itself with the innocence of a kid. It wasn't just that it unsettled me, but that it made a very convincing argument for being a sadistic, katagelastic monster and that everyone else was just pretending not to be the exact same way.

I have others aspects too, which are much less destructive, very insightful and reassuring; a bit like an old grandfather with a big beard and moon patterned silk slippers is living in my head keeping the nihilistic prankster in check or something. I was going to explore my sexuality in the same way but I have other things on my mind atm and sex is not one of them. I'm hoping it turns out to be healthy when I do, because my sense of humor apparently borders on the insane.

I presume this is what you mean, anyway? Sometimes I pretend to be other people for a laugh, but that's not so much an alter ego as it is lying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like fantasy alter egos or real alter egos?
Sorry I was not very clear with this one. I mean real alter egos. Different characters that you play in day to day life. That are completely different in every way. Like one day you act silly and frivolous. Then the next day you act cynical and jaded. While each feels completely natural. Just different facets of yourself that pop up out of no where and surprise you, at least in my case.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I'm not surprised by my alter egos but I can be either A. Very serious and determined, unemotional, objective or B. Happy, funny, not care about anything serious, subjective.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I generally think I do. Usually I'm quiet although I act like a child who tries to amuse the people closest to me. To those I don't know I'm quite polite and stuff (for some reason people even described what I act like is intelligent, which is kinda off o____o), but to my boyfriend and parents... I'm quite indecisive with a child-like nature, always longing for teddy bears and obsessing about anime and stuff.

And then there's my other half, sometimes of which my mother calls morbid and... well. I generally get all thrilled at the thought of darkness and death, and have thoughts of just letting lose and committing some homicidal act that would probably land me in jail if I was caught. At the drop of a hat I can get angry and just lunge at the other person, becoming all rage filled and... well, it generally feels like a rush of power when I get that angry. At times this alter ego can make me seem extremely cold and unkind too, with an extremely dry sarcastic tone to it, which bothers my boyfriend quite a lot as well. I seriously can't seem to answer a question properly these days <.<;;

So yeah, that's me and the sides of my personality at least~ xD

Reactions: Bago

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
See my signature quote. I highly identify. I do not have a bonafide condition, I do not consciously select one personality or another, but my identity is wholly multifaceted and at times, quite splintered.
No wonder your eyes are so deep and entrancing. There's a lot going on in there. :proud:

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
:blushed: Aww thanks - the looking glass to a twisted wonderland it would seem
It's funny because I can look in some people's eyes and plainly see that there's just nothing going on in there. Lights are on but nobody's home. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I actually dislike calling it an alter ego because that would imply a facade of sorts. I more or less have a collection of different personalities all tightly wrapped into one meatsuit. :proud:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I sort of have one from a re-occurring dream where I am a mountain lion and proud guardian of he forest/ mountains

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
I actually dislike calling it an alter ego because that would imply a facade of sorts. I more or less have a collection of different personalities all tightly wrapped into one meatsuit. :proud:
Meatsuit? You mean like... Lady Gaga? :laughing:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts