• Maybe

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if other INFP's feel a close bond with animals? Ive heard that INFP's are good at understanding humans, I find that this skill extends to understanding animals as well. I find that I can understand the way animals feel and think and feel deep empathy for them. I was wondering if this is a common trait for INFP?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think I saw something similar to this on here before, and most people said they do feel a bond with animals. Me, I love animals and all, but probably not much more than the next person.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't like animals, in fact I just plain hate dogs >_<

Edit: I do empathise with an animal if I see him in pain or difficult situation, but I don't "bind" with them. I don't like touching them or even getting close to them.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm not sure of the degree, but I can describe how I felt as experiences played out between animals and I. I felt like crap all the time when I saw our cats dieing by tooth decay day by day, because my parents wouldn't take them to a hospital because they didn't think anything was too wrong with them.

Alike, my manager at work had a pet iguana that somehow got loose at a family resort. When I found out, I couldn't stop laughing about it. I think it's pretty clumsy how an iguana can leave its' cage, and get along with the colorful guests and that come to a small resort, all while avoiding attention from my manager! And my manager loved her iguana. I'm sure she didn't treat them badly.

I love animals. There's life lessons to be learned from leveling with them, considering we are all equals living in the same world. :wink:

Reactions: Luke

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I've added a poll. Ive noticed that in such a heavily urbanized society people often are not exposed to nature and do not feel a particular connection to things which are a part of the natural world, such as animals. I'm wondering if this trend is as strong with INFP's.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I think it's a Fi thing to empathize with living creatures. I know too many ExFPs who love animals more than I do, so I don't feel I have a special bond. I like animals, I don't like to see them mistreated or in pain, but I don't see them as important as people. My cat is very important to me though, but when she dies it will NOT be like losing a family member.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, so it seems that deep bond with animals is definitely not a rule. Can I ask you where I can learn about what "Fi" means?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
^ Oh it's shorthand for "introverted feeling" which is a cognitive function. If you hang out here enough, you'll pick up on these terms. :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,254 Posts
Yes, yes, yes.

Also, I have an extremely close bond with dogs -- I can almost hear them talking. I communicate with them via mind-melds. lol.. well, almost. ;-)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha I know what you mean, espeacilly the "mind meld" part. I find dogs in particular have very similar emotions to humans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get along well with animals but probably not as well as others here. I can read my cat by her actions though. I have had her since she was a kitten so she is easy enough to read. She hates the world and all it contains. Although I like cats I will be the first to admit they are evil incarnate. My dog is easier to read most of the time although he surprises me every now and again.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I would probably jump into oncoming traffic to save a stray cat. So in that sense, yes I do have a general bond there.

I'm generally affectionate and love animals, but I always feel odd showing that type of affection to a pet that doesn't belong to me. Meaning, it has an established bond with someone else then I usually ignore it (unless neglect/abuse forces me to intervene). However, if an animal is stray, wild, or specifically belongs to me, then I'll always be playful and curious.

Finally, if I see a dead animal on the street or just in general, I have virtually zero emotions. I may even glance it over with my forensic anthropology skills. Also, when the family pet died (that I wouldn't consider mine) I was in a state of apathy. Now if one of -my- pets dies, I'll be screwed over for awhile.

<-- Walking contradiction.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get along well with animals but probably not as well as others here. I can read my cat by her actions though. I have had her since she was a kitten so she is easy enough to read. She hates the world and all it contains. Although I like cats I will be the first to admit they are evil incarnate. My dog is easier to read most of the time although he surprises me every now and again.
hahaha cats are evil geniuses. They are so stylish and elegant about it as well.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I love critters. But mainly dogs and cats because they have this way of looking back at you as if they know exactly what you are thinking.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Oh yeah...I cannot handle road kill....I saw a chipmunk once struggling to crawl away after being partially run over, then it just finally died. That left me with a very unsettled feeling....

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ENFP here, so I didn't vote, but I have a much deeper connection with animals than I do with people, even as an extrovert. I've always loved animals and feel extremely empathetic towards them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts