Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey INFPs,

I have a question to ask you. How are you when it comes to paying attention to detail? For example, I work in an office and one of the things I let myself down on is attention to detail, especially when inputting information into a database or putting together a written document. I'm not very good at noticing mistakes. What about you guys? Is this something you struggle with?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Yeah details are pretty much my weakness to say the least :/ I sometimes miss things that are right in front of my face. *Sigh* I really wish I could get out of my head and pay attention to what's in front of me

·
Registered
239 Posts
Fixing mistakes? Haha. I do a lot of mistakes when writing on computer. Then proofread like million times. And still it is not good enough. I used to be good at fixing them though...when I was a kid.

I also am more receptive to mistakes when they are written down on a paper rather than in computer.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
With regard to tasks like you describe: yes I struggle, and the more repetitive and tedious the task the more I struggle with it. However, when it comes to something like writing, researching, or making a presentation, I am good with details. I am able to do detailed work—even excel at it—as long as it is connected with my interests and involves some variety.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are some tasks that I do regularly and can focus on the details. It's like that is time when I can switch off my brain and take a break from the what-ifs. I wouldn't want to deal with details all the time, though.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Though I tick most of the boxes for an INFP personality, one area where I don't really seem to fall in to the INFP description is I am good at spotting mistakes/errors. I tend to work very cautiously and precisely and don't make too many errors myself. Any other INFP care to comment on this?

That only really describes how I am at work though, in day to day life I'm very untidy and I don't naturally spot details unless I'm trying.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think this is one of those things that differs a lot depending on my interest.

I'm not good at proofreading my own writing, not until I've posted it or someone else has had the opportunity to read it at least, then all the mistakes just start popping up and I can't not see them. But I cannot for the life of me proofread anything until it's sorta too late anyway, especially when it comes to stuff I have to hand in. But I'm quite good at noticing other people's mistakes! Grammar, spelling, logic, if some details don't fit together etc.

Otherwise I'm definitely a big picture kinda person, but once my interest is awoken, then I want the details of something, but still at a level where it makes sense in layman terms.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Though I tick most of the boxes for an INFP personality, one area where I don't really seem to fall in to the INFP description is I am good at spotting mistakes/errors. I tend to work very cautiously and precisely and don't make too many errors myself. Any other INFP care to comment on this?

That only really describes how I am at work though, in day to day life I'm very untidy and I don't naturally spot details unless I'm trying.
Yeah, I'm basically the same. When I am interested in and focused on my task, like at work or doing a project, I'm pretty hyper-aware of detail. I'm not particularly detail-attentive otherwise, though.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey INFPs,

I have a question to ask you. How are you when it comes to paying attention to detail? For example, I work in an office and one of the things I let myself down on is attention to detail, especially when inputting information into a database or putting together a written document. I'm not very good at noticing mistakes. What about you guys? Is this something you struggle with?

Thanks!
What is your birth order? first born, middle of the family, last born. I'm a last born and I have a good attention to detail. Most of the people I know who were good with details were last borns. But I wouldn't expect a middle born to be good with that. First borns notice details but are usually managers at work and delegate the responsibility to others.

Reactions: Cerridwen

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I notice mistakes.. I edit my posts a lot more than is healthy.
and I used to be a grammar nazi.

I still cringe when words aren't spelled right.

but I still make mistakes.. I've become a lot more laid back over time..

My attention to detail generally seems to relate mostly to writing, though.. =o

^^^^See, I know the grammar in my posts suck these days, but I've become derpy and just don't bother trying to fix it. I feel bad that my form of communication isn't perfect, but I've had more important things to deal with lately.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
wHat attention to detail?

I'm not perfect with my grammar/spelling in here. I was better in academia, but that was more the product of repetition. I wonder how many hours I've spent writing papers in my life, and if I got close to the tipping point (10,000). I can spot errors very quickly. That's mostly due to repetition; but I was always taught to notice when something didn't look right, then checking for errors.

I wasn't great with data entry, at least when it came to accuracy. I'm fairly fast with ten-key; nothing to brag about but I could keep up during my office jobs. I hated large documents because that's when my lack of Ti kills me. I can't do anything exactly the same twice. I work better free-styling things, but that's not acceptable when other co-workers have to read your document.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My attention to detail has been called ridiculous / insane. In a certain context, my artwork. I'll spend well over 100 hours on a drawing only 8x12 to try my best to capture every detail and accurate as possible. And sometimes dealing with an argument if I'm really invested in it I can 'attempt' to make a return statement that's incredibly detailed and almost air tight most of time even when I'm wrong. Otherwise I'm it's low, not because I don't always 'notice' I usually do notice every small detail in every situation I just don't care enough to really let any of it completely soak in because it's not 'interesting' to me. I always am EXTREMELY/OBNOXIOUSLY detailed and patient with things I'm passionate about. Otherwise, I don't waste the energy lol

·
Registered
404 Posts
@Mactheknife I saw in another thread that you were once interested in Police work. You are Enneagram 5. And you say you pay close attention to details. Combine the above with Ne which all INFPs possess and I wonder if you ever considered detective work.

I pay close attention to detail in aesthetic pursuits like gardening, detailing things, cooking etc. I'd rather live in a small detailed home than a typical american house with few details, lots of wasted space and a general ho hum, mediocre is good enough attitude. I like to see beauty when I look at my surroundings.

I see many in this thread are relating details in their writing. I get really bogged down in details when writing. Sometimes to the point of exhaustion. I'm not good at grammar or composition, so I make a lot of mistakes. Even if I proofread I'm often appalled at how bad my writing is when I read it sometime later.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What is your birth order? first born, middle of the family, last born. I'm a last born and I have a good attention to detail. Most of the people I know who were good with details were last borns. But I wouldn't expect a middle born to be good with that. First borns notice details but are usually managers at work and delegate the responsibility to others.
i'm a middle born but good in details :) as well as spotting mistakes esp. written mistakes xD tho i'm also committing the same mistakes... IMO i guess it has something to do with 'perfectionism' rather than detail orientation.

Reactions: UpClosePersonal

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am a middle child - two older siblings and one younger. Hmm there might be something in that, my younger sibling points out written mistakes a lot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I notice mistakes.. I edit my posts a lot more than is healthy.
and I used to be a grammar nazi.

I still cringe when words aren't spelled right.

but I still make mistakes.. I've become a lot more laid back over time..

My attention to detail generally seems to relate mostly to writing, though.. =o

^^^^See, I know the grammar in my posts suck these days, but I've become derpy and just don't bother trying to fix it. I feel bad that my form of communication isn't perfect, but I've had more important things to deal with lately.
I think I notice things more verbally, like when some people say, "pacific" when they means "specific", or "brought" instead of "bought" lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wHat attention to detail?

I'm not perfect with my grammar/spelling in here. I was better in academia, but that was more the product of repetition. I wonder how many hours I've spent writing papers in my life, and if I got close to the tipping point (10,000). I can spot errors very quickly. That's mostly due to repetition; but I was always taught to notice when something didn't look right, then checking for errors.

I wasn't great with data entry, at least when it came to accuracy. I'm fairly fast with ten-key; nothing to brag about but I could keep up during my office jobs. I hated large documents because that's when my lack of Ti kills me. I can't do anything exactly the same twice. I work better free-styling things, but that's not acceptable when other co-workers have to read your document.
Lol this makes me think back to when I was in secondary school...my tutor would let us submit one draft for her to look at because submitting it as a final piece. So I'd write the draft and not even bother to check it for mistakes, I'd let my tutor do that, so it would always come back a complete mess, then on re-submitting it I'd go from a grade C to an A haha. I don't know what to think of myself for that really...lazy or clever? haha

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I saw in another thread that you were once interested in Police work. You are Enneagram 5. And you say you pay close attention to details. Combine the above with Ne which all INFPs possess and I wonder if you ever considered detective work.

I pay close attention to detail in aesthetic pursuits like gardening, detailing things, cooking etc. I'd rather live in a small detailed home than a typical american house with few details, lots of wasted space and a general ho hum, mediocre is good enough attitude. I like to see beauty when I look at my surroundings.

I see many in this thread are relating details in their writing. I get really bogged down in details when writing. Sometimes to the point of exhaustion. I'm not good at grammar or composition, so I make a lot of mistakes. Even if I proofread I'm often appalled at how bad my writing is when I read it sometime later. [/COLOR]
Kinda related, but kinda not...your post just made me think of the TV shows my mum loves to watch (and I like some of them too), like The Mentalist, Stalker, NCIS etc...the thing is I don't mind watching them, it's just annoying that I can always work out who the killer is. Maybe I should be a detective hahaha. Nah...It's because I've figured out how all these plotlines work...it's always the person who appears briefly and is then ruled out/disappears from the storyline for a bit and then suddenly reappears again as the killer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.