Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that coffee shops are very common places where you can find INFPs. I'm not surprised as I often want to find one (a quiet one preferably, good coffee, good service, but not too popular).

Anyway, what do you drink there? Being an INFP doesn't mean that you like coffee, but do you go there for coffee? (I do and I can sit there for hours. Seconds are often cheaper so I stay in the same coffee shop for a few cups sometimes.)

If you're over 30, you've probably had quite a few cups there, and probably big cups, too. If you're like me, you take your time and drink slowly because you're not in a hurry to leave. So how are your teeth? "Coffee is bad for your teeth", says my dentist. I haven't added any sugar to my coffee since I was around 25 but I still get cavities and I dread seeing the dentist again.

I often go to the coffee shop alone but I'd love to go there with someone and just talk with the stranger who also happens to frequent coffee shops. How do you approach someone there? You don't want to interrupt anyone reading a book or anyone who looks busy spending time alone unless you really have something important to say to them. What if you just feel like making a new friend, but nothing more? What's the perfect excuse for talking to a stranger?

"-Hi I'm an INFP." or what?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I love coffee shops :) I've moved recently and have yet to find my new "spot", though. If you're worried about coffee and your teeth, why not switch to tea? It's just as wonderful and gives your body a break from the acidity.

No one's actually ever approached me in a coffee shop unless they knew me, and I've never approached somebody else, that's terrifying!

Oddly enough, I met one of my friends by basically saying "Hey, you seem awesome, I'm an INFP. You get me." She was ISFP. It was the first time I'd mentioned MBTI in front of someone else, and she actually knew exactly what I was talking about. :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
In my country a coffeeshop is a place where you can buy and smoke weed.

I don't drink coffee or smoke weed. I like all kinds of tea though.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
I usually drink my coffee in my own home and I'm not really one to sit in a coffee shop, however, I do love when they combine coffee shops with a bookstore and big, comfy chairs. Then I'll order a large coffee and sit and read.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I go to cofee shops and get tea! lol

I do enjoy coffee shops quite a bit, but I don't venture to them very often.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i think that maybe everyone in there secretly wishes that someone would approach them, but they are too afraid to do the approaching themselves...

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
if you happen to run into me and identify yourself as an card carrying member of PC, more specifically as a member of INFP forum, I will buy you a free coffee, your choice, my treat. :cool:

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Anyway, what do you drink there? Being an INFP doesn't mean that you like coffee, but do you go there for coffee? (I do and I can sit there for hours. Seconds are often cheaper so I stay in the same coffee shop for a few cups sometimes.)
I LOVE coffee. I don't like it sweet unless it is my "dessert". I like plain coffee with cream or a cappuccino or latte. I dont usually hang out at a coffee shop for more than an hour. I'm often just there to read - there can be too many distractions at home (I need to do the dishes, I have freelance work to do, etc). Occasionally, I bring my laptop and work.

So how are your teeth?
A bit stained....I whiten them on occasion, but its a losing battle. I've always been cavity prone - no matter how diligent about flossing/brushing. Some people just have weaker enamel genetically (like some are prone to bad eyesight, etc). I don't let those dentists guilt trip me! :tongue:

I often go to the coffee shop alone but I'd love to go there with someone and just talk with the stranger who also happens to frequent coffee shops. How do you approach someone there? You don't want to interrupt anyone reading a book or anyone who looks busy spending time alone unless you really have something important to say to them. What if you just feel like making a new friend, but nothing more? What's the perfect excuse for talking to a stranger?
When I am there with a book, I'd often still be open to talking with a stranger. It would be great if they are familiar with the book (or something related to it) and we could even talk about it. I never get the chance the talk about what I read, and yet it fills much of my waking thoughts. That's the kind of stuff that I think gets introverts talking. Inquire about something other than the everyday mundane stuff and our eyes may light up.

I think a lot of people are not open to making friends, honestly. I've heard a lot of people say they have their friends and don't need/want more. I understand you can only maintain so many good friendships, but there's kind of an exclusive group attitude to it. They'll only be open to someone they meet through someone they already know. Personally, that is a bit foreign to me. I think because I don't have a "group" of friends, but individual friendships, I am open to meeting people outside of a group situation. "Networking" is not my forte anyway :tongue: .

·
Registered
342 Posts
I love going to coffee shops. I often meet a friend in the bookshop cafe in town for a chat and coffee. The great thing is my son loves going to those places too (he's 7 and loves to read & eat cake) so i always have good company.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't really hang out in coffee shops. I tend to get my drinks to go (I don't drink coffee, but mmmm other hot drinks <3), and then go off on a walk enjoying nature, or something :crazy:

Please don't follow me! It would only freak me out :confused:

If you want to know where to find other INFPs I'm at a loss, but personally, if I'm in the same spot long enough to be approached, I'm probably the girl sitting in the corner doodling furiously in her sketchbook. And I like it when people ask me what I'm drawing! :proud:

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I don't really hang out in coffee shops. I tend to get my drinks to go (I don't drink coffee, but mmmm other hot drinks <3), and then go off on a walk enjoying nature, or something :crazy:

Please don't follow me! It would only freak me out :confused:

If you want to know where to find other INFPs I'm at a loss, but personally, if I'm in the same spot long enough to be approached, I'm probably the girl sitting in the corner doodling furiously in her sketchbook. And I like it when people ask me what I'm drawing! :proud:
this one time at Starbucks, I fell asleep and this old guy sketched a portrait of me sleeping. when i woke up, he showed me the picture. it was rad. probably was an INFP.

·
Registered
251 Posts
this one time at Starbucks, I fell asleep and this old guy sketched a portrait of me sleeping. when i woke up, he showed me the picture. it was rad. probably was an INFP.
That's awesome! I would do that, but I might be too afraid to show the picture... I'd be afraid you would think I was creepy :crazy:

If someone drew me though that would totally make my day.

Also I've noticed most people tend to move around too much in their sleep for me to draw them, either you must be a peaceful sleeper or he must have been very good at drawing fast! :laughing:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Haha that is pretty cool. I would frame something like that.

I don't like coffee and mostly hang out in tea shops, we have a lot around here , there's even one 2 blocks from me that shares my first name, Dave's Tea, it's fun carrying cups with my name on it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am very conservative with my own money, but if I spend any, I will definitely beg etting coffee. It has to not be too bitter, but still taste like coffee. I like to put all kinds of caramel and cream in it and stuff. I really especially like it frozen. Hell's to the yeah. I might also get a cookie or coffee cake or cheesecake or something, if I'm feeling whimsical.

Reactions: miro

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your input everyone! I'll give tea a try, I promise, although I might still need my fix (of coffee) too.

I don't actually want to meet new strangers in coffee shops all the time. Just one stranger could be enough. I've recently moved to a new city with millions of people and you can imagine there's a Starbucks or some other coffee shop on practically every street corner. Being an INFP, it's hard to find a soulmate or a friend who understands you or just one who doesn't mind dealing with your oddity. Finding one would save me the trouble of plotting how to find one and it'd be nice to have a new friend here.

I see people who are alone and who look interesting but I haven't come up with an excuse to approach them yet. Some study or work, some play with their cell phone, some read but the book is often not in English. Maybe it's the fear of failure that keeps me busy doing my own thing there. But wouldn't it be nice to have a blind date section here for INFPs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts