Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I discovered that something sold to me was fake by attempting to clean it, getting no results, and then literally poking at it (with a small pair of scissors...). I described the process to my mom, who said, "you're notorious for poking around at things!"

After she said it, I realized it was actually quite true... all my life I've "examined" objects that have made me curious by physically confronting them with a scraping fingernail or something of the sort. Generally the consequences produce an "oh crap!" or "oh, I see" response.

Does anyone else do this? poke at things?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I love buttons. I use to press all buttons on the elevator, then if someone enters that I do not know, and they ask, I just tell them some weird kid pressed them all. This is probably why I like to play the accordion :laughing:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I rather point at things. I have a weird habit of pointing at people when I talk to them. And if I'm talking about something that has a location, I point in the general direction of it (or the direction I estimate to be correct, I'm terrible with geography!)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think curiosity is one of the most important virtues. So yes, I do poke at things, usually in order to open them and reveal their secrets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tend to knock on certain items to see it's density and examine what force would be required to break through it.

Can I punch through this? What is the weak spot if I were to hit it. If I can't punch through, would a hammer be sufficient?

Would it be more practical to use a edged weapon instead of a blunt? etc...

Holy crap this thread made me realize how violent I sound...

Ah...you see I'm Asian...and Asians are martial artists by nature...I'm gonna go crunch some math formulas now.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Today I discovered that something sold to me was fake by attempting to clean it, getting no results, and then literally poking at it (with a small pair of scissors...). I described the process to my mom, who said, "you're notorious for poking around at things!"
POKE POKE POKE.

hey. lady. so, what was it? :proud:

i'm not sure if i poke at things too much, besides poking you. i probably poke some non-Shayde things, though. i just never have really thought of it before.

Reactions: Shayde

·
Registered
444 Posts
curiosity killed the INFP. satisfaction brought it back.

I have a mega curiosity. I definitely love to poke around too. my friends have also said that I'm known for that. I have done so many things that you kinda already know the answer to, but yet i HAVE to find out for sure. Like, is that burner REALLY hot, i mean really? :laughing:

·
Registered
61 Posts
If it's a furry fabric in the store I'll touch. I once touched an ancient cave painting in a cave in Arube and the tour guide had a conniption fit. I didn't even think about it, just felt right to reach out and touch it. I sniff books.
when i was younger, my parents were always in antique stores, so im not so much on touching things

am a fellow book sniffer..
every book has a smell, just as distinct as its story.
the smell of old public/college libraries.. well thats one i cant resist.
-thanks for sharing that

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go as far as to say that curiosity is probably the reason we do almost everything we do. For me, it started with the urge to take things apart and figure out how they work. It wasn't enough for me to accept that it works. I need to know how. Then, it moved on to "what would happen if ...?" The world is a lab, and life is an experiment. We test things to see what happens. When I discover an unknown, I am compelled to explore it.

So yeah, I poke around, if that's what you want to call it. That's how I learned how to write software, hack computers to do pretty much anything, fix or upgrade cars and pretty much anything else, and write music. I never decided "I want to be able to write music" then worked toward that goal. Instead, the thought occured to me: "What would a song written by me sound like?" and I had to find out. Similar with everything else.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah...you see I'm Asian...and Asians are martial artists by nature...I'm gonna go crunch some math formulas now.
ah I'm half asian. I get it, haha.

POKE POKE POKE.

hey. lady. so, what was it?

i'm not sure if i poke at things too much, besides poking you. i probably poke some non-Shayde things, though. i just never have really thought of it before.
haha, what was the thing that was fake? this pendant I got in israel. it's a handmade silver star of david with a circular frame-ish thing around it, and the back was "roman glass"... my scissors discovered that the roman glass part was some sort of sneaky plastic covering with very legit-looking shiny bits stuck on it :p but the silver was real so it's alright I suppose...

i HAVE to find out for sure. Like, is that burner REALLY hot, i mean really?
precisely :)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm well known for poking at things, literally and metaphorically. To the extent that it's a normal part of my vocabulary, "so should I stop poking or prodding?" is one of my most frequently used phrases. Sometimes it's me literally poking and prodding and scratching and sniffing and taking things apart physically. Other times it's all about ideas or concepts or dreams or futures or whatever. And other times I'm poking a person to elicit a response. All in all, I find it highly entertaining and amusing. Others tend to either find it annoying, endearing, or one of those quirks they just have to deal with. :tongue:

Reactions: Shayde
1 - 14 of 14 Posts