Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Steadily applied and tested, I often thrive under pressure and seek it out. There is something very visceral about testing your mettle in a high stakes situation, where even if you fail, there is always a chance to come back and woop some butt.

I don’t like a continuous tension though, I like my downtime, so always being under pressure stresses me out. At that time I get apathetic, and cranky. My give a damn reserves start to really run dry.

For the very rare times where pressure is unbearably high, I do one of two things. I will slink away for the whole thing to blow over or I react immediately to confront the situation head on. It depends on what’s happening, if I’m familiar with the problem, then it’s easy enough to deal with. If the problem is alien to me, I’d rather get away and observe from a distance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do well with pressure, especially when it comes to sports. I'm on a bowling league (which is amazingly fun) and love the stress that can come when we are on the verge of either winning or losing depending on how I do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yea, I like pressure too, but only when I feel like I have some control over it, if that makes sense. Ex- I always enjoyed standardized testing in school, but I hate trying to meet women in bars. I think it helps to remind yourself when you are under pressure that you have some control. Almost like if you are on a boat and getting seasick, you are supposed to focus on a stationary object outside the boat. Find something outside yourself you can focus on to help remind yourself you are in control...if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I hate pressure and will try my best to avoid it, but I do excellent under it. In fact, it seems like I perform better/faster/efficient-er with pressure. But it totally fucks up my health.
The typical scenario is like this:
1. Get something assigned at work with plenty of time to do it,
2. Procrastinate for 2 weeks straight
3. Suddenly I have 2-3 days until due date

That's when the horror of pressure kicks in. I get my ass to work and won't leave my desk, won't shower, won't cook meals (just eat cereal straight from the box), won't see the light of day, nobody is allowed to talk to me & I sleep a maximum of 4 hours per day. Even with all that craziness, I'm able to focus like a laser, and most surprisingly is that I actually do my best work under such circumstances. There's been few times when I handed in projects that were done with plenty of time and lots of relaxation, and they were crap quality-wise for some reason.

After those 2-3 days there's some sort of catharsis kinda thing where I feel high, like I've climbed mount everest and I'm enjoying the wonderful view, and everyone around me thinks I've sniffed something in the back room of a bar, if you know what I mean. I guess that's why I never learn my lesson and continue to provoke those unbearable stressful situations. I know I will suffer but will get a fantastic feeling in the end.

However, I don't do well with pressure in relationships, games and exercise/sports. Probably cause my living doesn't depend on it, so I will choose to flee the situation. I just get blocked and can't perform.

Reactions: thelush

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I can even thrive if I feel competent and motivated. Under those circumstances I can deal with other people depending on me just fine, as far as I know. That kind of intense in-the-moment pressure where others are relying on me to do something they and I believe I can do, I can cope with. It gets the adrenaline going but my mind copes excellently.

Without one of those things, if I feel pressured into a situation I don't like (i.e. feel capable of and willing to undertake), some part of my mind will stubbornly refuse to even try to do well and it all falls apart. If it's continual pressure and/or I don't have support or belief in myself or from others, or it's something I don't want to do, I am well out of my depth.

It really depends on the situation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I feel that because we are feelers, we like pressure because it signifies to us that something is important. Thats why a lot of us INFPs will delay something until the last possible second, but still produce something of great quality.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I'm also thinking of when I was kicked of my parents' house. Until then I had always had so many problems trying to find jobs, not to mention my phobia of phones. Well, the pressure caused me to make 300 phone calls, got a relatively fun job in 24 hours and found a room for rent in less than 2 days. Unless it gets really ugly and I feel an urgency to keep myself safe, I struggle a lot in life to make things happen. Not gonna lie, the rush of such extreme situations is not exactly off-putting. Even if I feel sick to my stomach and the whole thing makes me cry and swear like a sailor, I feel alive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm also thinking of when I was kicked of my parents' house. Until then I had always had so many problems trying to find jobs, not to mention my phobia of phones. Well, the pressure caused me to make 300 phone calls, got a relatively fun job in 24 hours and found a room for rent in less than 2 days. Unless it gets really ugly and I feel an urgency to keep myself safe, I struggle a lot in life to make things happen. Not gonna lie, the rush of such extreme situations is not exactly off-putting. Even if I feel sick to my stomach and the whole thing makes me cry and swear like a sailor, I feel alive.
I can relate totally to this as a matter of fact I have termed this "The Gift of Desperation". I perform best when I'm completely backed into a corner "or" on rare occasion I completely fall flat on my face.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Depends on the kind of pressure?

I'm a huge procrastinator but I find I just can't seem to work unless I have that pressure of the deadline hovering over my back. I can try multiple times to get started on my work ahead of time and my mind will just wonder and I can't stay focus. It's like I know there's still too much time in between and I can be doing other stuff.

Now if it is pressure for people or peers than I do absolutely horrible. I more or less crumble under the weight. I'll try and avoid at all cost or become unbelievably short and snappy with people. I do not like to have to be in a person's debt or have to do them a favor because I usually don't want to have to deal with their expectations of me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts