Personality Cafe banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi!

It took me +50 hours and 5 failed exams to get my licence. Driving was for me the hardest thing ever. I often ended up my lessons crying. It requires so much concentration, doing many things at the same time, and the drivers often make me nervous, because they are aggressive and drive too fast. I can drive now, but long rides and highways make me really anxious.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Congrats on getting your drivers license. It took me three times to pass the written test, but I was lucky with the driving test and passed the first time. After I passed it took me about a year to start driving even though I had a car. Truthfully I prefer having someone else drive. I get lost a lot even with navigation. There are times when I just get lost inside. I haven’t got into any accidents yet but I usually just miss those turns.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I just got my license the other day after a miserably failed first attempt. I pretty much barely passed - I screwed up some things that I normally did well under the stress of it - but the instructor was pretty much like "ok, so just know your limits and don't do anything wild like driving at night" and he passed me anyway.

I would say I have always been a bit scared of the concept of driving given you can kill yourself/other people at a moment's notice simply by turning this wheel thingy too far to the left or to the right. But I've gotten a lot better at it through my instructor's help. I also pursued my license much more slowly than other people (I'm 23) since I don't have much interest in using it for anything, except maybe work. I'm not a very exploratative type... physically.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
No intention of driving and never will. Too many cars on the road in my opinion. I live and work local and live a minimalist life and I'm happy with that. People also assume if you don't drive then you rely on everyone all the time. I never have.

·
Registered
Words of Affirmation | SC (Steadiness,Conscientiousness) | 4w5-5w4-9w1,sp/sx | INFP | EII-1Fi (INFj)
22 Posts
I don't like driving, but I do have a driver's license. The hardest part was parallel parking. I like to be lost in my thoughts instead of having to pay attention.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Learning to drive wasn't difficult even with manual transmission. I took it as something that had to be done, pulled myself together and got my licence. My driving isn't bad at all, it's just that I hate doing it. I tend to get lost in my thoughts and won't even notice what I'm doing half the time. That's not a good combination with driving. I've had issues with thinking about turning left and then turning right instead. My reaction time is awful under pressure. It's exhausting trying to keep the concentration all the time, and worry about idiot drivers and making a mistake that could kill people. So yeah, I decided it's best for everybody that I only drive when absolutely necessary. I renew my licence regularly just in case I might need it, and it has come in handy a few times.

·
Premium Member
42,571 Posts
I haven't taken the driver liscence test yet. I am strongly considering to do it 🙂 but its too expensive atm. 😅 Sometimes I think there should be roofs, umbrellas or parasolls on bikes, btw....bike-cars. Maybe walls too, to shield from the wind... Yabadabadoo!!

Reactions: MsMojiMoe

·
Registered
INFP
1,343 Posts
I don't own a car I think it's too expensive but I have my driver's license. Sometimes I drive my parents car. Usually I'm quite happy taking the subway or bus or just walk.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
25 Posts
It tooks 6 times for me to get the Licence but once I had it, all was good. I think I am not too bad at driving and I like it.
But at work I have to drive tractors, and it's a little bit less fun because it's not my tractor, I don't always have the same... I need to be more confident.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I've been told I'm a good driver. I don't think of good vs bad, as I don't see myself from the outside. All I have is the feedback from others.
Theory was easier than practice when I was getting my licence. I passed the theory exam on the 1st try, and passed the practical exam on the 2nd try.
Before enrolling in driving school, I thought I would never be able to drive, I believed I was too dumb and incompetent and that I would have many accidents. None of my fears came true, quite the opposite.

I love driving. It's one of my go-to activities when I feel stressed out or sad. I drive for a couple of hours, daydreaming, listening to comfort music, or thoughtful youtube videos (audios), and it's my alone time away from the world, helps me get in contact with myself and recharge.

Reactions: MsMojiMoe

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 459 sp=sx
342 Posts
I got my licensed right on my 16 birthday…..freeeeeeedommmm

my Dad made me learn the clutch…..I have never had an automatic in my life. I refuse to drive them, tho they are making less and less cars with manual. Boooo

im a great driver, been in 2 wrecks, one was my fault….when I started making money (got out of retail), but I was still young, 20 or 21 I brought my first real car, Toyota supra…..oh that’s was a sweet car, had a target top…very cool for a young person, but I didn’t know much, like this car had wide tires and back-rear drive….just means dont be going around curves really fast during the rain….I lost control, rode backwards, got on a guardrail …and finally stopped, totally my brand new car.

my dad took me out for a few days to teach me how to drive then I went out with my friends ( had a driver permitted) and I was living in Elizabeth City, NC which is right next to Virginia Beach, VA…so they took me there and I still didn’t know how to drive a clutch very good…and I had this 2 door toyota Corolla and had about 6 of my friends in there while trying to drive in a very busy tourist city, but by the end of the weekend I knew how to drive a clutch just fine.

i learned to be a great driver, I can drive a clutch in San Francisco…yes on those hills, that takes skill.
heres a little tip anyone who drives in SF, when you are driving up those steep hills ( usually 4lane, 2 going up and 2 lanes going down….going up don’t ever get in the right lane..why…bc there is no good parking in SF, too many cars and ppl, and so all the delivery drivers use the right lane to unload….and you don’t want to get stuck behind them on a steep hill. Trust me, learn from my mistake.

I have gotten one speeding ticket.
I participated in mud bog before, but I got stuck at the very end, but so did everyone.
I can drive in snow usually pretty good, just Oregon is the worst, it’s ice or fresh or melting snow which makes it slippery. But others places like Wisconsin, Montana etc, I fine in snow. I did take a defensive driving class once on how to drive in snow, how to turn in with the slides instead of against it, etc. it was actually a very helpful class.
ive driven the whole USA coast to coast and all around, many times.
I can drive tractor, too, lol …

when I was very young like 8, and my step brother 9, i got a go cart and he got a little dirt bike, so we were driving those all over our country roads, not busy streets….i remember crashing so much and getting hurt…I broke the brakes, and I had to carried a brick on the go cart and when I wanted to stop I would throw the brick in front on the tire or I would just crash, lol.

but I dont parallel park, unless it’s a big spot, I’m get too confuse, idk if it my dyslexic or what, but I freak out. I hate parallel parking. I’m bad at it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts