Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the last person you'll see at the clubs or rocking out (publicly) to any song, but I think my romantic side finds such a strong appeal towards certain types of dance like ballroom dancing and recently, figure skating. Just that closeness, that grace, and even elegance with somebody, but also acting in harmony makes me want to learn.

This video I'm posting is from a Canadian show called Battle of the Blades - figure skating. It's basically like Dancing with the Stars, the guy in this clip is a retired hockey player, not quite known for elegance. Oddly enough though, he actually does the voice for the MALE portion of this song and the chemistry he has with the girl, a professional figure skater, is just unbelievable.

(Volume might be low at the beginning)

How do you guys feel about this, or just the topic in general? I'm not expecting a resounding response, but I figure "you never know."

·
Registered
375 Posts
I do like graceful, elegant dance, and when I was a little boy, and the Olympics came on with gymnasts doing their floor routines, or the figure skaters doing their routines, I would be somewhat enamored and try to duplicate what they were doing. So there was definitely something about expressing music through movement, and expressing emotion through movement that I really thought enjoyable.

It was not until a few years ago, when spending time with friends, with stimulating music going, that something inside me clicked, and even though I never ever danced in front of people previously, it was as if my body just joined the music and felt the next sound and rhythm approaching and moved to meet the sounds. I was the only one dancing, I should add! I guess you could say it was a form of expressive freestyle, very rhythmic, rave-like in appearance, and no matter how it may have appeared, it felt very right...in absolute synchronicity. And after that experience, something inside me brought me to do that quite often with music that I clicked with, usually something with good cadence, but over time, I've adapted it into more graceful, flowing movements. I respect the graceful form very much, and I don't want to depend on the stimulation of cadence and busyness of sound to initiate movement, but it's probably more preferable to me at this point.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My wife and I were both club kids when we met. We went to the goth/industrial clubs around 4 nights a week for a period of 2 years together. We also started taking ballroom, east coast swing and lindy hop at the same time.

She grew up doing ballet, jazz and tap. And I just love dancing. We've taken classes in many different styles. However our favorite is Argentine Tango. We even choreographed a tango to Por Una Cabeza a part of our wedding ceremony. In our old house, we turned one of the rooms into a dance studio with wall to ceiling mirrors.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think you should take some classes. You might really enjoy it.

I also appreciate the beauty and the grace of it. Most of all I love when you can feel the connection between the two partners. I love nothing more than two dance partners with amazing chemistry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always adored figure skating. It has been my favorite olympic event since I was a little girl. There is just something so beautiful about it. I love the way that they can express emotions so clearly and fluidly without ever saying a word. Its like the ultimate use of body language to express yourself.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you should take some classes. You might really enjoy it.

I also appreciate the beauty and the grace of it. Most of all I love when you can feel the connection between the two partners. I love nothing more than two dance partners with amazing chemistry.
Ya, I plan to do ballroom lessons for sure. I'm single at the moment, but that's usually not for long so I'll take that leap once I find someone.

I've always adored figure skating. It has been my favorite olympic event since I was a little girl. There is just something so beautiful about it. I love the way that they can express emotions so clearly and fluidly without ever saying a word. Its like the ultimate use of body language to express yourself.
Hi, want to date?

----

Fun aside, I completely agree with everyone though. I'll also look into the other types of dance that were mentioned.

I'm also curious about INFPblogs dance room -- fire up any pics if you still have any.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I like elegance, but frankly, I have a very masculine brain, so I prefer dance routines which are kinda confrontational and dynamic as well as highly sexual. Something like the dance movie "Take the Lead", for example.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Very saucy choices. I like it!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
^ Very saucy choices. I like it!
I like things like tangos and salsas. I like to see some really cool themes. I think once I stood up all night watching ballroom dancing and someone had like a spy theme going on... it was really good.

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like things like tangos and salsas. I like to see some really cool themes. I think once I stood up all night watching ballroom dancing and someone had like a spy theme going on... it was really good.
Spy theme eh, sounds cool.

Reminds me of a dance scene from a video game called Final Fantasy 8. It was considered by many to be the besttt FF game of all time, and by others, the worst. It had more of a romantic theme.

Anyways, I'll be a lamer and post it up. I like the choreography though. It starts off a bit bad on purpose. I doubt it's masculine enough for you though.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Spy theme eh, sounds cool.

Reminds me of a dance scene from a video game called Final Fantasy 8. It was considered by many to be the besttt FF game of all time, and by others, the worst. It had more of a romantic theme.

Anyways, I'll be a lamer and post it up. I like the choreography though. It starts off a bit bad on purpose. I doubt it's masculine enough for you though.
YouTube - Final Fantasy VIII - Ballroom Dance Scene
Dude, Final Fantasy 8... is incomparable. Possibly the best roleplaying game in history.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ooh, while we're on the subject of dance scenes, I saw one on Youtube the other day that inspired me to watch a whole freakin' movie.
I really like the surrealness and the symbolism of this scene. Plus it's so cool.

Reactions: susurration and Lad

·
Registered
384 Posts
My wife and I were both club kids when we met. We went to the goth/industrial clubs around 4 nights a week for a period of 2 years together. We also started taking ballroom, east coast swing and lindy hop at the same time.

Oh how great that you went to goth industrial clubs. I wish I knew somebody who liked that too the I would come with them. I love those kinds of dancing :)

I've done ballet when I was young. And I did ballroom dancing for a couple of years. And now Im interessted in more oriental dance like bellydancing. Do some of you know ballfolk dancing? I did a workshop on a fantasy festival and I liked it very much. It's celtic/hippie like. Also I would love to learn the romantic tango with my boyfriend. So yes my taste in dancing is very diverse...

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I was a dancer for about 11 years and did figure skating for an additional 2 years, so I could talk about this subject for a long time. Dancing is my heart and soul; the body is such an amazing tool to express yourself.

I've done everything from ballet to salsa. Because i've studied contemporary dance academically (and have also done ballet exams) I can't help but prefer styles like hip hop, jazz funk, contemporary, tango over traditionally graceful styles like ballet or a waltz.
I like ballet and how it looks, but I find it to be a limited vocabulary. Don't get me wrong, contemporary and latin/spanish styles of dancing could also be considered elegant, but they allow you to really be in your body. In Jazz funk, modern and some latin/spanish styles, movement comes from the solar plexus. You use your hips, and really are allowed to express yourself more, it's earthy and more grounded. Ballet defies gravity and really doesn't engage the solar plexus. It's beautiful to look at, but I prefer to watch and do more expressive styles. Graceful styles involve a lot of strength work, and you expel energy in a different way to the opposite styles I mentioned (energy output is even). Ballet is more contained to keep the energy at one level, whereas jazz funk, hip hop, latin styles etc, you have to channel the energy, let loose a little, but still keep it controlled and explode your energy in bursts. Honestly, you haven't lived until you've learned the tango with a good teacher and you've got a partner who you've become insync with. I haven't done much partner dancing, i've mainly just done it in groups, but it's a really awesome way to let go of tension, channel energy and connect with people. It's so natural just moving to music (regardless of how uncoordinated or coordinated you are).

But yes, I adore dancing, it's a great outlet. I am itching to get back into it again. I want to try Capoeira, and get more into latin styles.

Such a cheesy film, but I love it. Hot right? any guy I'm with i'll probably drag into dancing >:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts