Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from making a positive thread/balancing the INFP darkness thread, I am curious: How would everyone define light...ness?

I feel it's an action. The action of radiating your positivity through your actions to affect other people. Brightening days, keeping the mood light, keeping positive, shining that light bulb bright. Great stuff.

Feel free to be as open as you'd like. I'd love to hear from anyone.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ooooh I like this toooooooo!

Lightness is laughing so hard that I fear my lungs will collapse. That is my number one definition, but it's also doing little things for others, doing little things for ourselves. Good tears. Hugs, kisses, that extremely rare true romantic love that DOES EXIST. Clicking with strangers. Even littler and stupid things like when the trains come on time and days where I feel really pretty and days when I feel like my eyes are so clear and wide open and I just want to smile at everyone.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Light for me is positivity, creativity, being excited about life and engaged in experience, as well as healing and helping others. Love is light, as well as honesty.

What confuses me about darkness is that people are still drawn to it, while they're in the light :unsure:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Light for me is positivity, creativity, being excited about life and engaged in experience, as well as healing and helping others. Love is light, as well as honesty.

What confuses me about darkness is that people are still drawn to it, while they're in the light :unsure:

"Join the dark side: we have cookies."

Cookie and curiosity both start with C. Maybe it's more than a coincidence...

Reactions: Goosefish

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Light is something that is at the core, that goes beyond surface and physical. It gives off a good feeling that benefit the whole universe without anyone truly realizing how much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I might have misunderstood the topic, but meh.

When I'm in a "light spreading" mode as opposed to "cold cynical me" I try to send out some reinforcing
honesty and genuine caring. When I see someone or get a feeling someone is down, I reach out to give them something positive. I get a urge to just reach out to them, to do something, to be there.
To give whoever it is a chance to open up, to break free from whatever is keeping them in chains.

Be it kind words, concern, a warm smile or friendly eyes. Or in extreme cases (when I dare to) a hug.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
^ In other words, you have the ability to take the light that you see and then spread it in subtle or big gestures as long as they remain meaningful :crazy:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might have misunderstood the topic, but meh.

When I'm in a "light spreading" mode as opposed to "cold cynical me" I try to send out some reinforcing
honesty and genuine caring. When I see someone or get a feeling someone is down, I reach out to give them something positive. I get a urge to just reach out to them, to do something, to be there.
To give whoever it is a chance to open up, to break free from whatever is keeping them in chains.

Be it kind words, concern, a warm smile or friendly eyes. Or in extreme cases (when I dare to) a hug.
I like this. :happy:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
lightness is helping people feel genuinely wanted and loved.
^^^

Everyone admires people that do good things, it's somewhat of a moral standard. However, a large majority of people do it for selfish reasons as they just want to pat themselves on the back. "I'm a good person! I did this and this for so and so."

To me, altruism is the only form of light I see. Lots of people debate whether it even truly exists. I'm sure it does. They're the kind of people that will never hesitate to help -anyone- in need and won't hold it over someones head "you owe me." They will not expect you to treat them any differently after the act, and will even often downplay what they did. Additionally, they will often never have time to ruminate about their deed either as they will usually be going from place to place helping more and more people.

^ these people are the easiest to take advantage of. Even more so than depressive, attention starved people.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
^^^

Everyone admires people that do good things, it's somewhat of a moral standard. However, a large majority of people do it for selfish reasons as they just want to pat themselves on the back. "I'm a good person! I did this and this for so and so."

To me, altruism is the only form of light I see. Lots of people debate whether it even truly exists. I'm sure it does. They're the kind of people that will never hesitate to help -anyone- in need and won't hold it over someones head "you owe me." They will not expect you to treat them any differently after the act, and will even often downplay what they did. Additionally, they will often never have time to ruminate about their deed either as they will usually be going from place to place helping more and more people.

^ these people are the easiest to take advantage of. Even more so than depressive, attention starved people.

One of my close friends called me altruistic some time within the past couple months. I didn't know what it meant, though. I just felt blinded by his definition (INTP).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Light is love and life and growth and creativity and dreaming and joy and sharing any and all of those with every person you meet as much as they can receive because I can always give. I give even when I have nothing for myself because that is how it should be.

Light is the connection we all share with the universe, a silver white cord that reminds us that we are never separate, we only think we are because we just cannot see how it could be any different.

It is also my soul, my spirit, my heart which are ready to help, to heal. I cannot tolerate suffering and will do what I can to avoid or soothe it. That is in some way my purpose on this world and I will act on it without hesitation.

Light is the balance for dark, and vice versa. We cannot have growth and creativity without death and chaos. One without the other cannot exist, and so we all have both within us, it's just a matter of whether we're willing to acknowledge both and allow ourselves to grow and become something more through the realization of both and make the choice as to which we will use.

·
Premium Member
15,511 Posts
The Light is my preference so I live it every day. Light is the absence of sadness, depression, horror, hate, violence, abuse, negativity, pessimism. Light includes humor, fun, wonder and luuuuuuv. Darkness I do not want or need. I believe The Light wins out over The Dark. Good is greater than evil. The Dark exisits on earth, yet I do not embrace it. I do not believe in order to live in the Light you must also have the Dark beside you.

"INFPs never seem to lose their sense of wonder. One might say they see life through rose-colored glasses. It's as though they live at the edge of a looking-glass world where mundane objects come to life, where flora and fauna take on near-human qualities.......INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP is wont to have pity.....Although the dark side must be reckoned with, the INFP believes that good ultimately triumphs." source

"They conceive of the world as an ethical, honorable place, full of wondrous possibilities and potential goods. In fact, to understand Healers, we must understand that their deep commitment to the positive and the good is almost boundless and selfless, inspiring them to make extraordinary sacrifices for someone or something they believe in." -source

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think Light is what makes all good things possible. Light is the expression of what brings joy and fulfillment.

Mind if I share some of my personal beliefs on the nature of light?

What is Light?
Without physical light, there could be no matter in the universe. Interestingly in Genesis the first action of God in creation is to say, "Let there be light." The ancients must have known that light was the precursor to the creation of matter, yet we give them so little credit. There is plenty of evidence that they knew much more about the nature of physics than we do now.

Comparison between God and Light
Then in the New Testament it says, "God is light," which I don't take to mean that God is photons, because Jesus also said, "God is a Spirit", but rather "God is light" means that God is likened unto the nature of light. So to look at Genesis again, when God says, "Let there be light," He is producing His presence and creative power in the universe, not just a source of light. We can know this because it was on the 4th day of creation that God created the physical light sources, the sun moon and stars. So I relate light to God's power, creativity, and character. Also, because I believe the essence of His physical creations contain metaphors for His nature and the theme of this world, when we examine what light is, light is made up of a balance of 3 colors on the color spectrum, with an even balance of all 3 making white light, the purest form.

Comparison between Light, God, and Human Beings
To me, when taking the statement "God is light" into context, this gives me a metaphor for the trinity, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. Light is one thing, but made up of three variations. God is One, but made of three variations. What are the variations? Well, God said in Genesis, "Let Us make man in Our image," plural, meaning that man would be one being, but would contain the image of the multiple facets of God. So, in spiritual thinking, we are made of body, mind(brain), and spirit. To compare it to the image of God, the body is the image of Christ, who became the physical manifestation of God, the mind is the image of the Holy Spirit, who's purpose is to work upon the thoughts and convictions of humans, to influence actions, like our brain does to the body. And lastly, the spirit, which the Bible likens unto the force of life that God imparts to us to make us a living being...representing God the Father, the Source of life and spirit.

Ultraviolet Light
There is light, such as Ultraviolet Light, that cannot be detected through ordinary means. When relating this to the metaphor for God, it demonstrates that God has visible attributes in our world that evince his existence (visible light spectrum), but there are also attributes of God that are beyond our perception (ultraviolet light). But like ultraviolet light, which has an influence upon our body when we stand in it, even though we can't see it, God has an influence on us, when we place ourselves in the path of His light, though we can't see Him.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Light in my world.... is doing something nice for somebody because you truly want to...for unselfish reasons expecting nothing in return. Smiling, laughing until your sides ache. comforting somebody who needs it, being optimistic, and looking for the positive in an otherwise negative situation or person. Stopping your morning commute to rescue a dog that is scared and running...adopting an animal from a shelter...those types of things constitute light for me.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mind if I share some of my personal beliefs on the nature of light?
Not all; sharing is caring! :happy:

Also, because I believe the essence of His physical creations contain metaphors for His nature and the theme of this world, when we examine what light is, light is made up of a balance of 3 colors on the color spectrum, with an even balance of all 3 making white light, the purest form.
That reminded me of the ennagram for a moment, and the influence I use when I create my art. I'm grateful to be hearing from everyone :laughing:.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts