Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some say the eyes are windows to the soul, I'm curious to know your experiences with making eye contact and what you've seen as an INFP. I personally find it hard to look others in the eyes, it scares me to see so deeply into that person, it's as if I'm seeing their deepest fears and secrets all at once. It scares me even more to think that they might know what Ive seen. Something I'm working on overcoming, But I think as a tool the INFP's eyes are invaluable. What do you think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally, I can't stand making eye contact. It distracts me from what the person is saying, generally because eye colors tend to be so pretty, especially like greenish-blue. If I am trying to concentrate on what I'm saying, I have to look away from the person. I find it hard even to look my boyfriend in the eyes, though I certainly do it more often than not. But I don't really feel like I'm seeing deeply into the other person. More just distracting my train of thought and/or listening abilities with extraneous sensory data.

·
Banned
416 Posts
Someone told me when I was younger that I never look at them when they talk. Since I'm all about self-improvement, I don't have that problem anymore, however, sometimes I feel like I am looking deep into the core of their soul. I never take my eyes off of someone as long as they're talking. It's my way of silently saying: "I hear and see you. I'm also interested in what you are saying."

If it's a more serious conversation, I may feel uncomfortable, especially if it's heavy and the conversation is advice for me. I can feel self-doubt and then I can't look at the person, probably because I am trying to mask what I am feeling. This is normally when I am being honest and open about my feelings, which is really hard for me. It's even more hard to accept input about my feelings.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I've been told I always seem like I'm not listening because I would break eye contact when someone would be talking to me. I've since learned that breaking eye contact when I'm being talked to is perceived as rude, so I now always make it a point to look people in the eye when they talking to me. If I'm talking to someone I find that I can't maintain eye contact and form sentences, so I have to divert my eyes to gather my thoughts, then look at their eyes as I'm delivering it to them.. which I've noticed, is what most people do.

this kind of sums it up.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,213 Posts
I don't feel like eyes are really windows to the soul, mostly when I look at people's eyes I just see the physical eye itself - at least at close range where you find yourself torn between looking at the left eye or the right eye. However, the eyes along with the face do express a lot.

Generally I think people tend to watch someone's eyes when that person is talking, but when talking themselvess their eyes will roam around as they think about what to say and then only reconnect with the listener's eyes at certain points, usually to make sure they are following what they're saying and to gage their reaction.

I don't usually find it hard to make eye contact unless I feel like someone is disapproving of me or if in some other way I feel intimidated by them, then their gaze can feel 'too intense' or overwhelming.

I feel like making brief eye contact, sort of like a nod hello, is an important part of acknowledging people's existence/value. Not that I think you need to make eye contact a lot, or hold someone's gaze a lot, but I do feel like it's an important part of initiating interactions even if they are as brief as manuevering around someone while walking down the street. It seems to communicate a sense of respect and camaraderie between fellow human beings. However, sometimes even just a quick glance at strangers can feel too socially draining, and a lot of times I will avoid eye contact specifically because I don't want to open an oportunity for someone to interact with me further at that moment.

I also have this wierd thing where I can't look people in the eye, not even myself in the mirror, right after waking up. I need about half an hour at least before I can handle it for some reason. It's had to explain why, but I suppose it kind of feels like looking at a bright light, it's just a bit too much right away.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Personally, I can't stand making eye contact. It distracts me from what the person is saying, generally because eye colors tend to be so pretty, especially like greenish-blue. If I am trying to concentrate on what I'm saying, I have to look away from the person. I find it hard even to look my boyfriend in the eyes, though I certainly do it more often than not. But I don't really feel like I'm seeing deeply into the other person. More just distracting my train of thought and/or listening abilities with extraneous sensory data.
I look up into the air and around the room in between sentences but I eventually force myself to lock onto the persons eyes once in a while. I was watching an interview with Princess Diana (INFP) and she does this as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
<rant alert> This come around every few months I'm still an eye-looker, and I always will be. I was taught to look people in the eye because it's impolite not to. It also happens to be the most beautiful and interesting and expressive part of most people, so why wouldn't I look? But I was also taught not to stand in line jabbering on my phone or waiting room, and who doesn't do that (except me)? Clearly there are times when you don't want to, but in friendly situations eye contact is very important. Try going to a job interview and not looking at the other people, and see how far you get.

The eye is where much of communication takes place, and if you avoid it you're not fully engaged. Talking to people who won't at least try to look me in the eye makes me squirm, and I just want to get out of the conversation. It sends the message "I don't really want to talk to you, but I will talk past you". <shudder>

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It's just so distracting to listen to people while looking at their eyes! I can do it for a while, but I've had occasions when I'll ask for instructions or help on a concept or assignment in uni and if I keep the eye-contact going I won't absorb any of what they just said.

But then I become aware that the sudden and complete break of eye-contact may be perceived as strange and I think about it too much and get distracted all over again.

If they're talking about personal manners it's easier but I guess once anything they say requires me to use Te or Si I just can't do it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Eye contact just makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable.... I tend to momentarily look into someones eyes (for up to a second) every moment or so when I'm talking to someone. I never even stare my Mum in the eye. It just feels like such an intense thing to do and I'm not sure if I'll ever really be comfortable with it.

OH, something scary. I love horses and whenever I'm around them I love looking in their eyes, seeing the colours e.g. but then suddenly I flinch and think SHIT, what if all the horse see's all the shit inside me and bucks up and runs off. Like you said, eyes are the windows to the soul - and horses are supposedly an extremely insightful animal. silly I know but hey ho.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When in conversation with someone I tend to keep eye contact very well, but when I see people in the halls or on the street I HATE making eye contact with them. I for some reason seem to make eye contact with my school principle all the time; it's sort of become a cruel game. We make eye contact, I immediately look to the ground or pretend to be on my phone, and then she laughs and says Hi. I tend to look at the ground until I get near to the person, then I'll say hello. Also if I make eye contact with someone and we're not talking (maybe sitting together at lunch) I usually smile and laugh and it becomes really awkward and it just akfjds;fljsdl;fdskfjlask;fjdkls;fjdks;lfjadks;ljfdks;ljfiuodfjiusdokfjisudo.

I like making eye contact during conversation because the eyes are very expressive, however I absolutely detest it in any other situation.

·
Banned
573 Posts
I'm pretty much like Michael Kelso from That 70s Show. "I like my free ride in life":proud:. I believe that my eyes have taken me far in life by always approaching individuals with an extremely friendly face, as to getting what I want and getting special treatment from everybody. God and my mother have truly blessed me with an incredible feature. I like to converse with people and EYE FUCK THEM TIL THEIR NOSE BLEEDS!!! :happy: But I only keep eye contact while THEY'RE speaking. When it's my turn, I always dramatize whatever I say and I have to talk with my hands while making dramatic/dumb faces. :blushed:

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I'm pretty much like Michael Kelso from That 70s Show. "I like my free ride in life":proud:. I believe that my eyes have taken me far in life by always approaching individuals with an extremely friendly face, as to getting what I want and getting special treatment from everybody. God and my mother have truly blessed me with an incredible feature. I like to converse with people and EYE FUCK THEM TIL THEIR NOSE BLEEDS!!! :happy: But I only keep eye contact while THEY'RE speaking. When it's my turn, I always dramatize whatever I say and I have to talk with my hands while making dramatic/dumb faces. :blushed:
This is not something I can consciously do & I think even unconsciously it rarely happens xD I kind of hate you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I usually look away, it's easier to focus on what I'm going to say...but also eye contact makes me nervous. You lose a lot of context when you miss body language and facial expression.

If I know someone well it's fine.

·
Registered
648 Posts
When I was a child, I remember people telling me to make more eye contact. I did something at school called primary project and she would always tell me, "Let me see your pretty eyes." I usually looked down or somewhere else. I make eye-contact much more now, but I now have the opposite problem. People tell me I'm staring at them sometimes. One extreme to the next. :laughing:

I do like eyes. They are my favorite feature of a person. I like looking into someone's eyes occasionally. Looking into the eyes of someone highly confident and assertive can be a bit intimidating.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I want to hear your words I will stare into the floor and listen. If I want to hear you I will look into your eyes.

65 Posts
I make a lot of eye contact unless I'm opening up then I panic and stare at the floor or some other lack of confidence situation. I give eye contact most of the time though. When I look people in the eyes I get a sense of their personality. Like how strong they are, are they wearing a mask, if they are lying, a sense of what they are thinking because im really psychic. One thing I find easiest in a person is their weakness. When I look into peoples eyes I lose myself and identify them. kinda weird but it works for me lol.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Horrible. Just horrible. I always wonder if I look like a serial killer if I manage to look into a cute girls eyes for too long a time.
I just cannot do it. Or, it takes a whole lot effort.
I use to think that way too. It helps to nod your head to acknowledge that you are listening. Also, when I realized that making eye contact actually makes the other person feel more comfortable than not making eye contact my anxiety just kinda went away and I no longer looked so intense.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts