Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird question, but as I find myself riding the crazy train a little more of late, I figure I might as well get to know my fellow passengers, I guess what I'm wondering is if there are any trends in mental illnesses diagnosed in INFPs and their treatment?

I was diagnosed as Borderline several years ago, but have been medicated with Zoloft, Lamictal, Trazodone, Klonopin and Trileptol (in various combinations over the last 9 years).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chronic depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, OCD, and apparently also ADHD. I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist soon, although I feel a little over-diagnosed. Exercise certainly helps, though.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
hmm I have a mental illness, it's a lot like schitzophrenia, although i have never been directly diagnosed as having that illness. I have bouts of hallucinations and mental confusion, especially when under stress. I keep it under control with medication (which has unpleasant side effects) and manage to live an almost normal life. As if being INFP isn't strange enough I have to be a bit crazy as well :crazy: oh well, some people still love people who are bit kooky.

·
Registered
830 Posts
hmm I have a mental illness, it's a lot like schitzophrenia, although i have never been directly diagnosed as having that illness. I have bouts of hallucinations and mental confusion, especially when under stress. I keep it under control with medication (which has unpleasant side effects) and manage to live an almost normal life. As if being INFP isn't strange enough I have to be a bit crazy as well :crazy: oh well, some people still love people who are bit kooky.
Don't worry.. people will love someone even if they are a little kooky... We're all a little kooky.. just maybe to different degrees! :happy:

·
Registered
117 Posts
ADHD, Anxiety/depression for me. I hear this kinda stuff is pretty common among our kind though.

Reactions: Luke

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have been depressed in the past, as well as had pretty bad anxiety. I've taken medication with all sorts of stuff, Paxil, Klonopin, Welbutrin, etc. I hated it all.

I found the answer for me was giving up everyone and everything I knew to go after my dreams, except my job which I'll most likely be getting out of pretty soon as well. Though, it is really easy, gives me a ton of freedom, and I lead a comfortable life, so I'm definitely not complaining and feel quite fortunate and thankful to have it in these times.

Totally changed my life around and I'm happier than ever :laughing: So this is why I hope you all never give up going after what you really want :happy:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Don't worry.. people will love someone even if they are a little kooky... We're all a little kooky.. just maybe to different degrees! :happy:
Thanks. I just need people who like someone who is a bit unique. I relate a lot to John Nash in the movie a beautiful mind, minus the math skill!:laughing: I am good at making patterns like he is though. I can make fractal patterns and complex geometric designs in my head really quickly, they are a lot like the picture in my avatar.

I like to think that I have a certain style, I prefer to go quietly insane rather than making a fuss about it and I keep my sense of humor about the whole thing :proud:

·
Banned
137 Posts
Fuck those diagnoses. Fuck them. I bet 70% are all misdiagnosed, some people don't actually have the biological problems. But if you believe they're true then they may actually come true, who knows how the brain rewires itself? Freud was proved wrong over and over, so please don't limit yourself based on your conditions.

·
Registered
751 Posts
As Brighten up said, it's possible to mis-diagnose a mental condition just like it is possible to mistype here on the MBTI. A few mis-conceptions here, a few pre-conceptions there, A few assumptions over there and finally acting completely out of character and you have a completely wrong diagnoses. Most are at least partially accurate, but introspection and following "a list of symptons" can only stretch so far.

As for me, I had a generous amount of mental conditions, from suicidal depression to avoidant personality disorder. Even ADHD and low self-esteem.

So in INFP land there are plenty of mental illnesses to choose from. The choice for us though isn't probably any bigger than any other type in reality.

·
Registered
384 Posts
According to the psychologist I talked with in the past I seem to have a light form of ADD. And I've been told to be HSP. (Highly sensitive Person) As a child they thought I had Asperger syndrome.

·
Registered
751 Posts
According to the psychologist I talked with in the past I seem to have a light form of ADD. And I've been told to be HSP. (Highly sensitive Person) As a child they thought I had Asperger syndrome.
HSP is actually quite common in INFPs apparently, one study claimed it occurs in as many as 35% of the total INFP population. I have no clue how they would calculate that, but it seems believable considering the "symptoms" are in line with numerous INFP character traits. ADD is another form of right-brain dominant perceiving, which is very common way of brain fuctioning in NFPs and a few other types.

I'm tempted to say the HSP is far more of a blessing than a curse, perhaps its also the same for ADD.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've been diagnosed with: clinical depression, generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar/manic depression, and ADD. The bipolar was a result of a bad reaction to an anti-depressant. The anxiety was a result of postpartum onset depression that spiraled into pervasive/major depressive/clinical depression. And ADD was a misdiagnosis of my previously mentioned depression. It's been fun. :tongue: I'm now on a fantastic regimen of medicine that helps me want to get out of bed.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I was diagnosed as Borderline several years ago, but have been medicated with Zoloft, Lamictal, Trazodone, Klonopin and Trileptol (in various combinations over the last 9 years).
I'm going to be heavily criticized for this. I already know I'm alone with my opinion here among other INFPs, but I would strictly stay away from pills. I stay away from pills myself even when I have cold and flu. I truly believe a lot of physical illnesses (the 'easy to cure' ones) and mental illnesses can be treated by your own mind and body. Consistent exercise (lifting heavy weights, cardio). Positive thinking --- distress DOES cause physical and mental illness. Sleeping during the proper circadian rhythm. Staying off cigarettes, alcohol, and hard drugs. Making life decisions using discretion. Deep deep breaths --- 4 second slow inhale + 4 second slow exhale. Find a channel where your thoughts can be heard (mine was a psychologist for 7 years, but I think there are other alternatives). Have a goal in life. Hell, even medicinal marijuana if you live where it is legalized. What do these alternatives have in common? 1) they're natural 2) most of them have worked for me 3) unlike pills, no need to worry about lethal doses.

Call me a housewife sheep, but I admire and believe a lot of points in The Secret. Not in terms of attracting what you want in life, but rather how any one person can overcome an obstacle or achieve a great accomplishment with positive thinking. I had to read the book 3 times (and sometimes I still read it) to get it. I'm a positive person now and I pride myself for it. Sometimes I stray away from positive thinking in times of darkness, failure, and rejection. But once my head starts to clear, I become stronger than ever and become positive again.

As for my own mental issues, I've had my own share. Visited 3 different psychologists within a 7 year span since high school. Wasn't helpful at all, except I found myself talking for 45 minutes on what was on my mind and the other 5 minutes the doctor gave me his brief thoughts and asked me if next Friday afternoon worked. My guess why psychologists work is because the patient gets to speak without being interrupted or criticized. If that's the case, why not got to AA or rehab for free? I choose this site.

The crazy train was fun while it lasted. And after it was over, I knew deep down inside that I was responsible for the train wreck that hurt my family back in 2005. This was the year I thought I was going to die (blacked out from dehydration for the first time) and called an ambulance. I made peace with God while riding the ambulance. "God, if you can give me one more chance to live..." I realized (positive thinking) that I had a LOT going on in my life and it was purposeful. Couldn't see it before because I allowed myself to be depressed and easily angered.

One last note of observation: across all personalities, I have yet to meet someone who has both: a goal and mental issues. Think about it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
HSP is actually quite common in INFPs apparently, one study claimed it occurs in as many as 35% of the total INFP population. I have no clue how they would calculate that, but it seems believable considering the "symptoms" are in line with numerous INFP character traits. ADD is another form of right-brain dominant perceiving, which is very common way of brain fuctioning in NFPs and a few other types.

I'm tempted to say the HSP is far more of a blessing than a curse, perhaps its also the same for ADD.
A cure for HSP (a theory): one of my previous jobs as a door to door salesman. The job sounds a LOT worse than it sounds to you INFPs. You don't get paid by a salary. It's 100% commission. You come into the office at 10:00AM. Team meetings and strategy sharing until noon. Lunch. From 1:00 to 8:00, you're walking in your neighborhood (the "Field") visiting 100-150 doors at least 3 times. Here are the numbers: out of 100 doors you knock, 90 of them won't respond. 10 will. Out of the 10 that will respond, 8 of them will say "GTFO". Out of the 2 that will hear you out, 1 of them will buy from you. After it hits 8:00, you go back to the office for one more hour. You've worked an 11 hour day, not to mention you're also required to come in on Saturdays (because everyone is home on Saturdays). 66+ hours a week. Since you're paid on 100% commission, there is no such thing as overtime. And I've had days where I ended up with ZERO sales.

The Field definitely humiliates everyone. One of my co-workers was an ex-NFL wide receiver. Mid-30s. Told me that 10 years ago he was making millions catching the football for the NY Giants. Injured his hip. Went to the Canadian Football League. Got older and more useless since new players are coming in every year. Now he's a door to door salesman. He told me this job was extremely humbling.

Why do I say this? Because it built my character. I could have left the job at the interview process, but I wanted a huge challenge in my life (I stayed 3 months, whatever). I've met the rudest customers. I even got a "fuck you" just for ringing a doorbell. But my leader taught me to be vigilant, get that out of my head, and walk over to the next house. I stopped caring what other people thought of me because it doesn't matter. I'm a lot less sensitive than I used to be and it's a great feeling (but don't get me wrong, I'm an innate softy).

Was selling AT&T U-Verse packages :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I personally think ADD is no mental illness at all. Modern culture of medicalization just claims, that everything that isn't so-called productive personal trait is somehow a form of mental illness. If you don't fit in with the other sheeps, you are mentally ill.

Actually, in my country we have DSM-IV-classifications for mental illness. There is actually one personality disorder, which is described as "strong caution and critical thinking towards authority figures." That's mental illness? I think that there ain't more fucking sane thing than to be critical towards authority figures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts