Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone else who feels strongly nostalgic? Anyone else who generally prefers to listen to old or older music? Or at least non-current music (but especially 70s and before). Who lives in the past - not only their past - but the past before they were born? I've always been this way, but I love anything 'old' and 'retro', whether music, art, fashion, old buildings, cars, antiques, anything. It just feels so sentimental to me. Do you think INFPs are more likely to be nostalgic about things 'before their time' than others? Or live in their past more? Childhood was also the best part of my life, the only time I wasn't beset by anxiety or depression. I miss how magical and new and exciting everything seemed. Like what a big deal say Christmas or school holidays were. I think it's part of our penchant for imagination. Like imagining how things were like 'back then.' The past is like a different country. Or related to a desire for travel, for novelty, for fantasy, moreso than having rose-tinted specs.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The future just depresses me...in the 50s the future seemed so exciting, we were supposed to have colonised Mars, or zipped around in flying cars, and robots did all our work...instead we get slimline iphone 6's haha. I find retro futurism itself nostalgic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I totally agree with everything you said. I try to explain my intense nostalgia to people but they just don't get it haha.

I don't know if INFPs nostalgia is stronger than others, but from the people I have talked to mine is definitely more intense.

For me the main period of time I'm nostalgic for is the 60s, and I wasn't even born anywhere near that time period. I loved how everything was free and happy and you can really feel it through the music from then. Then it was abruptly ended by materialistic of the 70s and 80s :( it's actually tragic to me.

I also agree with everything you said about childhood. It's also probably affected by the way my memories are. They tend to be very dreamlike and random splices of unimportant times. Like the time I was swinging outside on the swing, looking up into the sky until it was dark out. Or climbing up the big old willow tree in my yard and staying up there for hours. And everything has this smooth, dreamlike aesthetic to it. It's so odd and my nostalgia is enhanced even more by this.

Nostalgia is one of my favorite feelings because it's kind of a paradox to me :)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,356 Posts
Is there anyone else who feels strongly nostalgic? Anyone else who generally prefers to listen to old or older music? Or at least non-current music (but especially 70s and before). Who lives in the past - not only their past - but the past before they were born? I've always been this way, but I love anything 'old' and 'retro', whether music, art, fashion, old buildings, cars, antiques, anything. It just feels so sentimental to me. Do you think INFPs are more likely to be nostalgic about things 'before their time' than others? Or live in their past more? Childhood was also the best part of my life, the only time I wasn't beset by anxiety or depression. I miss how magical and new and exciting everything seemed. Like what a big deal say Christmas or school holidays were. I think it's part of our penchant for imagination. Like imagining how things were like 'back then.' The past is like a different country. Or related to a desire for travel, for novelty, for fantasy, moreso than having rose-tinted specs.
I relate to all of this! I loved being a kid and am definitely nostalgic about those times very frequently. It was such a secure and care-free time (even if it did have it's problems too of course), and yet quite magical, a time when some of my natural traits were more accepatible to people. (plus some of the cartoons and toys they had when I was little were just... better than stuff I've seen since then :tongue:)

And I'm Reeeeeally drawn to a sense of history and the past. I hated the fact that everything in california where I grew up was so New. Visiting family in old farmhouses back in minnesota felt much more comfortable and inspiring to me, and visiting places in Europe when you can just feel the old-ness, going into buildings that have been there for hundreds of years is just amazing, I love it so much!

Plus, while there are certainly things I appreciate about modern society, there are a lot of values and aesthetics found in historical culture (in multiple time periods before the present) that feel more in line with myself so I get a feeling that I should have lived in another era where I might have fit in a little better. I tend to seek out 'vintage' or 'antique' things because they just align better with my personal tastes and feel more comfortable and 'me' than a lot of modern things.

- as a teen I said I was only interested in learning to drive if I could have a car from before the 40's.
- I usually enjoy most music made before the 60's
- I love victorian style furniture, architecture, and clothing
- I gave up on Jeans and T-shirts many years ago and always opt for long skirts now, along with a variety of other older styled tops and accessories
- I've not cut my hair in nearly 20 years and love how women used to keep their hair long
- I have a collection of handkercheifs because they are pretty, soft, and I like that they aren't just disposable
- I like a lot of old movies made up through the 60's
....and so on

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nostalgia is very dreamlike and idealistic. I often feel nostalgia for the past. One of the main things I miss about England is all the castles and history there. There was one castle I visited quite often as a child. I was fascinated with it and liked to imagine the sort of people who would have lived there, especially one particular queen who shared my name. I feel nostalgic for that period, even though I never experienced it myself, and I'd love to maybe spend a day there, back in time.

In my own life, I often feel nostalgic for the music I used to listen to, the games I used to play, or the places where I used to live. I think it would be fun to go back and experience a few days all over again. Most people I know don't seem to have quite the same longing for the past.

I think it's important to live in the present and focus on the future, but sometimes it's also fun to reminisce about what once was.

·
Registered
24 Posts
- I've not cut my hair in nearly 20 years and love how women used to keep their hair long
Wow that's awesome. I have always had a fascination with super long hair. I mean short is cool too and can look good but longer hair is more interesting to me. Why did you decide to not cut your hair and how long is it?!?!

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,356 Posts
Wow that's awesome. I have always had a fascination with super long hair. I mean short is cool too and can look good but longer hair is more interesting to me. Why did you decide to not cut your hair and how long is it?!?!
I've always idealized long hair, I think it looks pretty, I enjoy braiding and doing interesting things with it, it's associated with past time periods that I 'identify' with, and there's the fairy-tale of Rapunzel that I always liked. Once it was my choice and not my mothers I stopped having my hair cut, and the last time was when I went in for just a trim and the hairdresser got scissor happy on me and took off about half of it. I honestly felt like I was dressed up like someone else for a while after that. Long hair is just 'me' :) Currently it is knee-length.
here's a picture from a couple of years ago, I don't have any good current ones showing it: http://aelthwyn.deviantart.com/art/My-Long-Hair-274036456

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes, so much - I feel extremely nostalgic for the larger part of my days. I don't feel "stuck" in the past - it's more like I refuse to leave it... I love not only thinking back on my life and my past, but also imagining how life used to be so many years ago. I'm super interested in history and historic preservation.

I love going to antique shops, but I rarely buy any antiques because (and this is probably weird, but bear with me) I can feel the energy from a lot of old things. I feel like every antique comes with a story, and carries a part of the previous owner's soul with it - that story, energy, and soul isn't always good.

With that being said, I love heirlooms and things any of my relatives have owned - my grandmother loved costume jewelry, for example. While I do not, I still kept some of hers just to have something she loved with me. She died the same year my mom did when I was 4, so I didn't really know her too well. I have a lot of my mom's stuff, too.

One of my FAVORITE movies is Midnight in Paris - it takes you back to the 1920's in Paris, France (in the rain) and explores the different writers, artists, and musicians of that time. Basically the prime place to be in that era. The main character talks about a "nostalgia shop" - I would love to own something like that.

Most of my daydreams take me to the past - only a few take me to the future.

I also experience a lot of deja vu, and somehow miss places I've never even been before.

Nostalgia is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
16,000 Posts
I don't think I have this too much. I love dreaming about the possibilities for the future, I absolutely love living in the present and I love, love, love moving on from the PAST. Not a history lover -- I never really trusted completely, what was written in history books, as often, I find history is written by the victorious and the ones not dead (example: what the Tudor writers said about Richard III). I really don't like reading historical fiction.

For so many I think, their future is tarnished because of their past. I believe my mantra, through most of my life is, "move forward".

I do love old movies tho and some older tunes. I don't believe I am stuck in the past tho.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I often feel quite nostalgic. I really love reminiscing, just last night I was going through my old photographs and videos, and it made me feel so happy. I also love old items and buildings, I feel like they have more character to them. I always have this same debate about architecture with one of my friends, who passionately hates old buildings, whereas I am deeply fascinated by them. Visiting historical cities with her is so funny, I am always looking at everything with googly eyes and she just gets so annoyed. :laughing:

And yup, old movies, music and art, I love it all! History is also one of my favourite subjects, it's like reading fairytales about real life.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
While I completely adore history I am in fact future oriented. My personal future looks bright, my past looks bleak & dark. The present isn't too bad either :)

You'll never hear me say that all music was better in the 70s, that Hollywood stopped producing good movies after the Golden Era or that 90s Cartoon Network trumps the current Cartoon Network. They made great music in the 70s, they are making great music today. Hollywood made fab movies in the Golden Era and I think they are still producing fab movies in this era of film making. I adored Courage the Cowardly Dog, but Adventure Time is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I relate to all of this! I loved being a kid and am definitely nostalgic about those times very frequently. It was such a secure and care-free time (even if it did have it's problems too of course), and yet quite magical, a time when some of my natural traits were more accepatible to people. (plus some of the cartoons and toys they had when I was little were just... better than stuff I've seen since then :tongue:)

And I'm Reeeeeally drawn to a sense of history and the past. I hated the fact that everything in california where I grew up was so New. Visiting family in old farmhouses back in minnesota felt much more comfortable and inspiring to me, and visiting places in Europe when you can just feel the old-ness, going into buildings that have been there for hundreds of years is just amazing, I love it so much!

Plus, while there are certainly things I appreciate about modern society, there are a lot of values and aesthetics found in historical culture (in multiple time periods before the present) that feel more in line with myself so I get a feeling that I should have lived in another era where I might have fit in a little better. I tend to seek out 'vintage' or 'antique' things because they just align better with my personal tastes and feel more comfortable and 'me' than a lot of modern things.

- as a teen I said I was only interested in learning to drive if I could have a car from before the 40's.
- I usually enjoy most music made before the 60's
- I love victorian style furniture, architecture, and clothing
- I gave up on Jeans and T-shirts many years ago and always opt for long skirts now, along with a variety of other older styled tops and accessories
- I have a collection of handkercheifs because they are pretty, soft, and I like that they aren't just disposable
- I like a lot of old movies made up through the 60's
....and so on
Haha you're so awesome! Why can't I meet more people like you in real life?

I described LA as feeling sort of stuck in the 90s, or later twentieth century, as compared to say, Melbourne, where I live now, or Boston, which has a mix of say 19th (or 18th) century building stock and newer buildings. LA has newer buildings, but it has a retro feel, but lacks much pre say 1930s. The Adobe house at Olvera Street and some Spanish missions are the few exceptions. Here in Melbourne we have many many Victorian/Federation/Edwardian houses, and indeed we have more extant Victoria-era architecture than almost any city outside the US or UK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts