Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed that a lot of INFPs like to "people-watch"..
I'd like to know how many times you have caught yourself staring at someone or a group of people for some
reason or for no apparent reason, intentionally or unintentionally...and if it has led to any weird situations?

I have, many times, realized that I was staring at the same person for almost two minutes. haha

Maybe this is common with INFPs? Do any of you try to conceal this behavior, or do any of you look at it as a fun pastime?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm very discreet about it. I rarely watch people unintentionally. I feel like I have the reaction time of a professional Halo player when it comes to looking away before people catch me looking at them.

If by chance someone does see me looking right at them, I usually pass it off that I'm looking around at everything very quickly as if they just happened to catch me as my eyes glazed over them.

I'm also really bad about looking through my blinds at people outside. But it is fun to watch people and study how they act.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
It's usually unintentional because I zone out a lot and then my eyes just happen to focus on someone and I realize I'm looking at someone and they are staring at me uncomfortably. It's usually very awkward and I really don't mean to be creepy as I don't really like to stare unless there was something about that grabbed my attention. When that happens I'm usually not to close for the person to notice I am staring.

That sounded kind of weird.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like I have the reaction time of a professional Halo player when it comes to looking away before people catch me looking at them.
Hahaha, that's pretty fast! I'm not fast at all, I tend to just blush & look away. I should be more discreet. Sometimes I feel like a creep. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I often catch myself continuously looking back at certain people unintentionally. Not staring, but looking at them, then looking away, then looking back at them, then looking away, and so on and so forth. Like for some reason, my subconscious finds them fascinating. Sometimes they catch me doing this. It makes me feel creepy.:crazy:

But yes, I love people watching. It is a fun pastime for me.

4,757 Posts
It's so natural for me that I don't even notice I'm doing it.

Oh dear, now I'm going to get overly self-conscious about it and I'm totally going to be embarrassed when I do it. :laughing:

Reactions: OSKARR and jess5143

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This can lead to good things..sometimes. lol

I know a friend that was not intentionally staring at some guy but he noticed and he went up to her and started a conversation. This obviously shocked her but eventually they got to know each other and they fell in love. :)

But this, of course, does not happen to everyone...unfortunately. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
One of my favorite past times! I used to go to the airport with a friend when we would get bored...and we'd just people watch...the Los Angeles airport is seriously the BEST people watching ever..lol. I'm just really curious about people, I imagine what their lives are like, where they are going...that type of thing. I try not to stare though....I'm pretty good at going undetected! :laughing:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I people watch all the time :laughing: i remember my drama teacher giving us homework to people watch the other week and I just thought "damn i've been doing this my whole life"

My Mom used to tell me off when i was little because i used to people watch all the time so the main phrase I always heard was "Amy stop staring" my whole childhood haha
I always find people so fascinating, especially since i discovered MBTI I just have a habit of going into a daze and forgetting these people can see me

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a little bit different when it comes to this... I find myself spacing out all the time, but I rarely watch people if they're situated so they can easily stare back at me since a locked two-way stare would feel like a self-conscious slap, and I'd go into awkward mode until the person walked away. :tongue: I do love people-watching, but only when I can do it inconspicuously with no chance of having the proverbial tables turned on me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yup, I people watch all the time. Whenever I do, it feels sometimes like I'm not actually there, like uhh... As if I was an 'observer'. Yes I try to look away the moment I think they're gonna turn and look at me, yeah I space/zone out a lot XD

Also, do you guys ever wonder that if you look at somebody and they're looking back... that if they've been staring at you or if you both were looking around and suddenly your eyes just seemed to meet up? o_O

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
creepy and involuntary(mostly). it started with my first crush-i'd stare at her constantly it was super obvious to everyone...now i'm really afraid of staring and seeming creepy. itscks if i'm looking at someone nd they giveme a reaction(a silly face or wave)and then i feel encouraged to stare..then they'll do it a couple more times and then they qestion me about it..and i feel terrible and i spend the day staring at the floor

·
Registered
182 Posts
I honestly don't like to do it. I grew up with the staring is rude mentality, and if someone stares at me for long periods of time, I would find it rude or think someone has a problem with me. I honestly don't like to watch people, mainly since I really don't have any interest in strangers and their lives, nor I want to listen to it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I often catch myself continuously looking back at certain people unintentionally. Not staring, but looking at them, then looking away, then looking back at them, then looking away, and so on and so forth. Like for some reason, my subconscious finds them fascinating. Sometimes they catch me doing this. It makes me feel creepy.:crazy:
That is definately what I do all the time. I'm really not sure how that happens, but it's really annoying. I feel like that's more of a general human characteristic, not necessarily exclusive to INFPs. Although we probably think about it more.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I eves drop quite a bit. I find myself listening in on other people's conversations if I find them interesting. I've gotten some weird looks from people when they notice I'm listening. I know it is being a creeper but I can't help it sometimes. It is entertaining to see people interacting and notice their little habits.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I make sure to never get caught. though sometimes on the subway esp., if I find someones face interesting, it's like I can't stop my eyes from glancing at them continously. I make sure to bring a book when I take the train. I don't think I'm creepy at all though, and if I catch someones eye contact, I'll just give a friendly smirk, then make sure to not look at them again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a bad habit of this as well! I try and casually play it off, or sometimes backwardly wave or smile. I find my self at concerts more than often watching the people in the crowd more than the band. Something about the way people act and a concert and dress is, I dunno.. Then I notice that I feel weird paying 10$ to watch a crowd instead of the band I went to see:tongue:

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
It's usually unintentional because I zone out a lot and then my eyes just happen to focus on someone and I realize I'm looking at someone and they are staring at me uncomfortably. It's usually very awkward and I really don't mean to be creepy as I don't really like to stare unless there was something about that grabbed my attention. When that happens I'm usually not to close for the person to notice I am staring.

That sounded kind of weird.
Not weird at all! I do the exact same thing. I don't actively people-watch, but I zone out looking towards the general vicinity where people happen to be. More than once, I've "come to" only to be aware that the person in my eyesight is staring back me with a sort of confused frown like "...Why is that crazy girl looking at me like that?" At those times, I tend to try to pass it off as a "Nooo, I was just... er... looking around the room."

It doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I really like watching people...wow, that does sound pretty creepy.

I just really like watching how people interact, I guess. BUT, I know I hate it when the roles are reversed so I try to refrain from openly staring at people whenever possible.

If you do want to openly stare at people to pass time though...mall food courts are great for this because you can just eat and watch people walk by and they don't ever notice you staring. Unless, you look like or are a creepy guy...then they would probably notice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts