Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INFPs are known for being major procrastinators. Why do INFPs procrastinate so much? My theory is that it is due to high Ne (high Ne users are notorious procrastinators) and low Te (Te hates procrastination). I am not an INFP.

·
Registered
19,112 Posts
If it is an activity or task that I hate doing, one has to pretty much set a fire under me, to get me moving.

I do, what I consider, very strange behavior, tied into procrastination. I MUST start tasks at either the top of the hour or at the 1/2 hour. Example: it is 8:35 am in the morning. Husband says "Let's hang some pictures" and I say "OK, let's start at 9am" and ISFJ husband wants to get going, but I want to start at a nice, even, clean time -- 9am.

In school I always read the book the night before the test, I'm talking whole textbooks. I always wrote the paper the night before it was due.

Why? Before I answer let me say, I don't speak for any other INFP. What I mean is there are LOADS of INFPs that are not lazy like me. There are tons of INFPs that are excellent students.

Why do I procrastinate?

I'm lazy.
I'm phlegmatic. (I have low energy)
I'm a control freak (I don't like being told what to do and when)
There is ALWAYS something else I'd rather be doing.

Mostly I'm a control freak.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I'm a control freak as well, and I want to do things on my terms. But this also means that with things that need to be done to a deadline (like schoolwork or work-related things), I get them done as fast as I can. To get them out of the way so that I wouldn't have to think about them, worry about them, and wind myself up about not doing them. Deadlines help a lot, even if I hate doing the things I need to do. With these tasks, if I say to myself that I'm going to do them tomorrow, then I will.

I procrastinate mostly with things I don't need to do but what should be done. When there are no set deadlines. Like cleaning the house, doing the laundry, contacting some friends, finishing some books I've been reading for months (I'm always in the middle of reading 5-6 books), watching movies (several at a time). It's easier to bargain with myself, push the deadlines I've set for myself, there's always something that seems more interesting, more fulfilling to be explored than what should be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.