Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like INFPs are often classified as being very religious and spiritual (and I don't want to offend anyone here) but I started questioning the bible when I was in kindergarten. I'm still open to the idea of there being some kind of higher power, and I'm agnostic not athiest, but usually when I'm having a religious debate with someone, I'll find myself arguing with an athiest point of view. I also have a friend who's an INFP, (at least that's what he claims) and he absolutely hates ALL religeon, to him there is nothing good about it. He will purposely mock the bible, just to get someones attention so he can argue with them.... which doesn't seem very INFPish to me...
anyway I was just wondering what everyone elses view on religeon was. yeah

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I've never been a religous person,even when i was younger I would come up with my own idea about
death. I've always felt like whatever it is we think will happen to us is going to happen to us.
I know that sounds odd and crazy to some people,but I feel like our own minds are so much
more powerful than we think.
I also have a hard time believing that something so powerful and beautiful as a human soul
just rots in the ground I can't believe that we just end,I really refuse to.
We're all so much bigger than we know.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have also begin doubting at an early age, and I am agnostic atheist. However, I will never rule out the possibility of being wrong, so my beliefs are never really solid. I enjoy learning about different religions mainly because it's a good study of people and how their mind works. However, there are definitely some religions that I prefer more than others, so I try my best to learn about them and gauge it s accuracy. Unlikely I'll ever be anything rathert. Than agnostic.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I grew up in a pretty religious baptist christian family and as I got older I had a lot of questions about religion that they were too uncomfortable to answer or even wonder about themselves. They were much all about not asking, just following. By the time I was sixteen I was baffled about religion and found myself very confused. There were many religions, but I was not sure who was right. Eventually I just became agnostic and relied on science to answer many of my questions because it made the most sense to me. I do believe that there may be a higher entity.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't have the time I'd like to devote to the topic at the moment, but I will share a brief thought.

There can be a difference between a person being dedicated to an organized religion and being spiritual. For instance, someone may have had a bad experience or felt betrayed by religion, but inside they still operate strongly by spiritual principles.

I believe that INFPs are highly spiritual beings by their nature. An INFP can hate religion, yet operate in a spiritual way. INFPs are known for finding meaning in all things, something that seems to pronounce itself later in the teen years or into the 20's. This sort of view of life will often lead to spiritual musings and a desire to connect or exist in a way that is beyond the ordinary.

More on this when I have time, but let's not confuse what religion is. I believe that religion and spirituality are always linked, but when most people think of religion they think of an organization of people, which is what religion RESULTS in. The Bible itself defines true religion as "...Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27 . What we see here is a way of existence, and an operation on divine principles.

Argh, more later, I want to keep typing...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
"My belief is that the truth is a truth until you organize it, and then becomes a lie. I don't think that Jesus was teaching Christianity, Jesus was teaching kindness, love, concern, and peace. What I tell people is don't be Christian, be Christ-like. Don't be Buddhist, be Buddha-like."

"Religion is orthodoxy, rules and historical scriptures maintained by people over long periods of time. Generally people are raised to obey the customs and practices of that religion without question. These are customs and expectations from outside the person and do not fit my definition of spiritual."

Both these quotes are by Wanye Dyer... they pretty much sum up my views at this point in my life though...I'm personally glad to have made it to here...it's what feels good and makes sense to me.

Like Nasmoe... I also grew up in a religious, christian family... in small town Texas... who were also all about not asking, just following.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Grew up in a fairly oppressive, religious household. Needless to say, at least for now, religion has lost its appeal to me. Also, I love those two quotes by Wayne Dyer.

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
548 Posts
I grew up in a Lutheran family, but as its normal here, my family was not very religious. Lutherans are pretty reserved and don't really care THAT much about going to church. A bit like "Who cares how often you go to church? God knows where you live."

Between 16 and 17 I started to seriously doubt those beliefs and started reading about paganism, Druidism, shamanism etc. With those times behind, I now believe there are no gods (but I might be wrong) and that there is a kind of a Spirit of the Universe; a great spirit of everything, and that we all are part of it.

I also believe in rebirth and have a tendency to absorb teachings and beliefs from other religions. Especially Buddhists seem to have a lot of good ideas.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I think perhaps it should read "spiritual" instead of "religious." They are often confused, I think.

But in my experience, INFPs are very spiritual beings, which is almost the best kind of compliment I can give!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am very spiritual. Maybe that is an INFP thing. I am very religious also - but maybe that's just because I've found a religion that totally suits me. I don't believe that all religion is evil, but I do believe that there are some religious leaders who oppress and bend spirituality to justify their 'favorite sins.' I believe that there are some seriously misguided people out there. Always question. If in doubt, pray about it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i always think of John Lennon here (somewhat the posterchild for free-thinking, anti-religious INFPs), particularly Imagine

YouTube - ‪Imagine‬‎

and i most certainly share his sentiment. i see no greater good in religion (past personal selfishness) at all. i went to a church school but i honestly do not remember ever really believing in God, they were just funny stories out of a dusty unapproachable book

i still do not see why people cannot believe in themselves, mortal people living by their own rules. maybe i'm just a dreamer...but i'm not the only one :cool:

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Being uncharacteristically forward, I have absolutely no time for religion and even less for devout individuals that genuinely believe that what they preach is true. The year is 2010, we have a thing called 'Science'. During my teen years, I was (briefly) incredibly annoyed that I had been christened as a child. Obviously, I'm not as bothered by it now; my parents were only doing what they thought was right. Given the choice however, I would've much preferred to be left unconfirmed as a Christian. A religion which, by the way, is built on blood - another reason I can't stand it when the idiots come around to my house (we call them 'Bible Bashers' here in England) and preach about how God is good, how their religion is the way forward, etc. As soon as you start questioning their ideals and remind them of the origins of their religion (which they're all to quick to forget), they quickly change their tune and usually become quite hostile.

A friend of mine once invited a bible basher in to his house and sent them away in tears less than 5 minutes later. He challenged their view with logic and they just fell to pieces. You might find that quite shocking but you have to understand that these people come to your house and do their damned well best to enforce their views upon you / treat you as a 'lost soul' if you refuse to conform. Quite frankly, they have it coming.

That said, am I a spiritual person? Do I believe in some kind of higher power?

Absolutely. The Universe came into being because of an incredibly improbable series of coincidences and everything is far too perfect in its design to be merely cast aside as 'chance'. At least in my book it is. Hell, even modern science is finally starting to say "Actually, this shit is whack!"

Science is the new religion in my opinion. It will take us by the hand and lead us into a future where we can truly begin to understand who we are, what we are and the nature of everything around us. Sure, it doesn't have all the answers and you know what? Maybe it never will... but this is certainly an incredibly exciting time to be alive. A time where a dusty old book penned thousands of years ago isn't worth squat. If only people would move with the times eh?

I apologise if I offend anyone with my strong views but there you have it.

As a quick boot-note, I know that not all religion is necessarily a bad thing culturally speaking; I should have clarified that earlier in the post.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i always think of John Lennon here (somewhat the posterchild for free-thinking, anti-religious INFPs), particularly Imagine

YouTube - ‪Imagine‬‎

and i most certainly share his sentiment. i see no greater good in religion (past personal selfishness) at all. i went to a church school but i honestly do not remember ever really believing in God, they were just funny stories out of a dusty unapproachable book

i still do not see why people cannot believe in themselves, mortal people living by their own rules. maybe i'm just a dreamer...but i'm not the only one :cool:

You have just posted my favorite song ever…this actually starting playing right when I was born and my mother told the doctors to turn it off.

I can never quite grasp how anyone can be offended by Imagine. It's beautiful.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You have just posted my favorite song ever…this actually starting playing right when I was born and my mother told the doctors to turn it off.

I can never quite grasp how anyone can be offended by Imagine.

seriously?! :shocked:

i don't know, it is so crazy that people get offended by calls out against their ignorant beliefs, even if they are pure and honest calls for peace :confused: many a time i have been called immoral, 'full of shit', and offensive when all i have been calling for is peace and thoughtfulness.

it seems fucked up that in RE (Religious Education) i am sent out of the class for challenging the beliefs of a child who thinks that every single non-believing member of the class was damned to burn in hell in agony for all eternity unless we all conformed to her belief - and I'M being the offensive and judgemental one?! crazy

people don't want peace, they want comfort - and that is what religion provides for these drip-fed animals, comfort.

EDIT: although i am a sure Atheist (at least anti-established religion) that does not mean i am not a spiritual personal, i am. there are more and greater faiths than religious ones

L

·
0 Posts
I've grown up Mormon, and I'm still going strong.

I think this will probably just end up in debate... just like every other religious topic I've seen.
:happy:

im also mormon!
but anyways yeah, when i get into an argument with someone, such as sexual orientation, abortion etc, i also go the atheist way. however i think that infps are more broadminded then others, so even if they are religious, it doesn't necessarily mean that their going to go parading against abortion and stuff. because since we have a strong sense of justice, this goes against our instincts.

in my seminary class, my teacher told us going with what the bible writes is tricky, since over the years, people have rewritten it to go along with their values. meaning that even if it said to do something, it might not necessarily be what god want us to do.

also, she read us a scripture that said we as humans have no write to judge someone and say if their going to hell, since we arent god. god doesnt fret the small stuff. the only one of the ten commandments that god wont ever forgive if you break is thou shall not kill thy neighbor. unless we are serving in a war. and if we do kill and its not in a war, to repent earnestly. other then that, when the day of our final judgement arrives, hes going to look for our ability to feel compassion, or love, for another human being. which, like what APPLES said, is exactly what christ was teaching. he wasnt teaching religion, he was teaching love, compassion, peace, forgiveness.

now infps are said to have a strong sense of right and wrong, meaning that even if extremely religious, they can see the exception to the rule if they sense that whats going on is wrong. making them more spiritual.

make sense? no? anyways sorry if i rambled.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts