• I'm spiritual

Votes: 20 25.0%

• Total voters
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
738 Posts
I was raised in a Catholic Church, always felt I'd feel better being Eastern Orthodox but also read a lot about Buddism, Taoism and most recently tried to learn something about Slavic long forgotten gods. The topic of religion, is important to me because is a part of human civilization of spirituality. I do not believe in anything really, I call myself nontheist.

I guess most of us do not fall strong for religions and do not have strong political views because this is too simple to follow. I read previous comments and many people point out that they find their own way. And this is it. No one else can tell us that this is the only right choice and even our choices might not be the best. Popular religions are institutionalized just as political parties, they proclaim some generalized so called "the only right truths". Once it was giving people answers but then some of them became sort of a law, terror and punishment to control the people and this all distorted the original idea of religion.
The topic of religion, is important to me because is a part of human civilization of spirituality. I guess most of us do not fall strong for religions and do not have strong political views because this is too simple to follow. -eclipselunaire

I would agree with you on a broad sense. I think that people across the board are becoming more and more ready to identify as nonreligious, but when addressing the thread topic, I think INFPs are generally more religious than other types.

Some ESTPs would crack jokes at religion, and I think INTPs are likely more skeptical. After reading the thread I came to a different conclusion than you. I think a lot of INFPs are searching for answers to life's big questions, just are unsatisfied with the answers religions give.

Also, I'm guessing that the INFPs that don't use as much internet as we do are much more likely to be deep in religion. When I was in school quite a few of them were in the Bible Club.

Personally, I'm very religious.

·
Banned
972 Posts
I'm not only atheist but I'm anti-religious (although you didn't really define the term I will refer to standard definition), I perceive religion just as willful ignorance and make-believe attempt to explain phenomena in the world at best, I could literally make up some supernatural explanation for a phenomena and it would be as valid as explanations religions provide. At worst religions are plan menace to society and individuals preventing progress, forcing people to comply with it's irrational dogma and wrecking lives left and right in the name of it. Either way I don't see not much of value in it, it may help to unite people but more often than not it promotes dogmatic exclusion sometimes even persecution based on irrational belief in supernatural elements. We have far superior methods of establishing the truth than making up explanations for certain phenomena, that would actually be far more accurate in achieving understanding of the world.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I'm spiritual. I was brought up in a reasonably prevalent religious tradition and still participate here and there. I respect religions in general as ways of attempting to capture/connect with the holy/ineffable/eternal. There's something compelling to me about a gathering of people who seek that together. I love learning about all sorts of religions and belief systems and their cultural connections. Personally I tend to find my spiritual "home" to primarily be in nature.

·
Premium Member
15,185 Posts
I think I'm all over the place, as far as religions. Curious and I like to cover all my bases. ;-) I do enjoy reading about all of them, except Satanism. I do have a strong kinship towards Catholic everything, The Pope, the Vatican Library, Catholic relics and art and stained glass, the Swiss Guard, Mysticism, Spiritualism, Animism, Parody Religions and Gnosticism. Book shops/libraries are my churches. I do not deny the NDE as explained by the multitudes whose heart and brain have ceased to function. I also think it is possible for "man" to create "a god" through historical writings. I find that it is an interesting world, seen and unseen. Invisible landscapes all over.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm spiritual. I was brought up in a reasonably prevalent religious tradition and still participate here and there. I respect religions in general as ways of attempting to capture/connect with the holy/ineffable/eternal. There's something compelling to me about a gathering of people who seek that together. I love learning about all sorts of religions and belief systems and their cultural connections. Personally I tend to find my spiritual "home" to primarily be in nature.
Pretty much the same. I'm not against it, because I see the value and peace it gives to others.

Until I was 15, I used to attend meetings with Jehovahs Witnesses. It gave me some inner peace, but all in all I found it too binding. I didn't agree with everything that was told and in the end didn't 'believe' enough to follow through with it all. It may sound very Fi, but: it didn't feel right. I couldn't believe that God would judge so harhsly over people who are in essence, good people. In the end, I found the teachings to be too one dimensional, in a 'this is the truth and there is nothing else' kind of way. For my mother it is enough to believe in this truth, it gives her peace of mind. With my father, a humanist, I discuss morals and behaviour, how to be in this world. In the end I feel quite lucky to have had this kind of upbringing. I see that there are different ways to see the world, to each their own.

I'm not sure what I believe in now, but I feel the healing power of nature and in it, I try to connect with my own pace, my own feelings and own morals.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Please do not use this thread to argue about religion!

This thread's main purpose is to sate my curiosity, basically. On some websites, I've read that INFPs are often religious or would enjoy religious careers. However, I've also read some things that say that INFPs aren't that religious, mainly this article: www . 16personalities. com/articles/religion-and-personality-type (sorry I can't post links yet)

As a non-religious person myself, I wondered how true this really is. Of course, this thread only really focuses on INFPs, and doesn't really compare our type to other types, but I'm just curious how many other INFPs are actually religious, or not. I'd like to have a conversation about this as long as there's no fighting or close-mindedness.

~~Currently listening to: Blink-182~~
I'm Christian and i stick by my Christian beliefs. It might take a lot for me to abandon my faith. I have been believing in God, the Holy Trinity and Holy Bible since i gained consciousness. I was raised by a Catholic-turned-Born Again mother but she never pushed her faith to me when i was still a child (but she kinda when i was a teen). My decision to believe in God, Jesus, Holy Trinity and Holy Bible is of my own accord. I was first enrolled in a public school due to many reasons (early schooling -- few months before i turned 4 years old, financial difficulty and asthma) and we didn't have any subject related to Religion or Values education but there i was, grabbed a copy of my mom's Holy Bible, read through it (not cover to cover) and i decided that it suits my beliefs and ideals. When my mom got me enrolled in a private, Catholic school, my favorite book was the book of Hymns and Praises sold solely by my school. It contains both secular and non secular"praise" songs.

I would conclude that if not for God and my Christian faith, i might have been done for. I was suicidal for as long as i can remember (not anymore now, i guess). My first suicide attempt was when i was 6-7 years old when my mom got mad at me and ejected me from her room (we slept together), but it was a funny, childish suicide attempt. I am just happy that God always saved me. In fact, when i had a near death experience, I chose my mom than my own comfort (Jesus and my dead grandmother whom i never met were asking me to go with them, apparently i was having a severe asthma attack at that time and was rushed to ER).

I would say that i am existing now in this world because of God. Without Him, i am nothing.

I have friends who are atheists, agnostics and non-Christians. I have no problem with that as long as they won't mock God. I am easily ticked off and i feel extremely sad when i hear people mocking God, much less, the people who believe in God / Holy Trinity / Jesus / Christianity.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not religious but I'm friends with people of nearly all religions... as long as they aren't pushy/fanatic I respect them.

·
Registered
I Thimk INTP
14,143 Posts
I'm not an INFP but I am curious. To me anyone can be religious if they want to. People practice religion because it's something to practice. There are lots of things to do and lots of possibilities to believe in. So religion to me is no surprise. Why not?

To me the world is a mystery. Is there an explanation for it or not? Mystics propose answers; physicists speculate; authorities tell you. No surprise there.

INFPs? My answer is one can feel religious. Me? Every time I feel, I discard that in favor of thinking. Tell me what you think religiousness is and I'll tell you what I think ... if I haven't already.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts