Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I don't have "issues" with sadness, I'm just naturally melancholic. I find beauty in sad things, and while I dislike suffering, part of me cannot deny a certain pleasure I derive from it.

What sadness means to me is that it's just another part of life that I should learn to embrace and accept. Whenever something bad happens to me, I don't shut it out, I don't mind facing my emotions even if they seem unbearable to some.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't have "issues" with sadness, I'm just naturally melancholic. I find beauty in sad things, and while I dislike suffering, part of me cannot deny a certain pleasure I derive from it.
Yep, exactly this. Couldn't have said it better.

Without the part of me that derives some degree of pleasure from melancholy, I wouldn't feel like I was completely myself.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would say I am a naturally upbeat person, but have always been a bit of a brooding muse of a person. It's likely that many folks may think I'm angry or look mean (I've been told this before), but I find overly chipper people to be grating. There's something that seems more real about folks who embrace the melancholy and sadness. It's a state of being that teaches us, and as folks who live in the mind and the "ideal", we know this to be a tool that sharpens us.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, I could write a book about sadness and melancholy and suffering . . . But I am to tired and I have my exhausting job tommorow again, so lets some wise people talk instead of me about many sides of sadness:

"We are more apt to feel depressed by the perpetually smiling individual than the one who is honestly sad. If we admit our depression openly and freely, those around us get from it an experience of freedom rather than the depression itself." Rollo May

"One does not become fully human painlessly." Rollo May

"One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often." Erich Fromm

"Awareness comes from a battle, like the ferocious one described in the Bhagavad Gita or the battering sea-journey of the Odyssey. Both Jesus and the Buddha were tested mightily before they went out teaching. You don't find out who you are and act maturely from a restful weekend at the cottage." T. Moore

"Listen to the cry of a woman in labor at the hour of giving birth - look at the dying man's struggle at his last extremity, and then tell me whether something that begins and ends thus could be intended for enjoyment." Soren Kierkegaard

Good night everyone. ;)

Reactions: basementbugs

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is stated well.

Sometimes I drown in sad songs just to recharge. It's not really saddening for me at all; cathartic would be an accurate description.

This is not at all an action isolated to music-listening...that's just one example. Sadness is as deeply profound a feeling as any other. It just has a bad rap and obviously negative connotations.

How can you deal with sadness in appropriate situations if you constantly avoid it? *shrugs*

It's kinda like how Hulk deals with his anger issues by always being angry, lmao (I know that's a ridiculous comparison).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A lot of my chronic melancholic tendencies seem to come from an inability to block out or ignore "bad things" in this world. The monstrosities of humanity inflict deeply. It's just not possible for me to have anything other than fleeting moments of cheeriness when I look at the state of things.

I'm not even sure I'd want to be any other way. To be cheery for any great length of time would almost feel unethical. I'd selfishly have to be in utter la-la land.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
Life is sadness. I just kind of embrace it. Whatever brings me sadness, usually also brings me the memory of something that once brought me happiness. Now that's a melancholy thought for you to wrap your head around!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I prefer sadness that brings tears rather than just general gloominess. Sort of like the way I prefer clouds that bring rain rather than a mere overcast sky. One is just gloomy and makes everything generally miserable, where the other brings something that is both sad and beautiful. A sort of healing, if you will, even through the very act of feeling something.

That being said, I find that in general, my life has been filled with more happiness than I've ever had before. I love it. And really, nothing much has changed, except my perspective. Life can be happy, and I don't have to make it be that way. And still the strange beauty of sadness remains.

Reactions: basementbugs

·
Registered
127 Posts
Exactly. INFPs don't have issues with sadness. We love sadness. Sadness is fun!

But in all seriousness I can relate to this. Though I get very melancholic from time to time and it makes me feel very uncomfortable when I'm sad or worried or afraid, I still value having those emotions. I'd rather pick sporadic unhappiness than be in eternal bliss every moment of my life. As long as I get to be happy some of the time at least :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't want to be sad, but I do need occasionally to feel sad feelings. I listen to sad music in order to achieve the lovely feeling of melancholy. It feels as good as the happy things you could do.

Sometimes the colour is blue instead of yellow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts