Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is this a connection between INFP and the mental issue called SAD or Social Anxiety Disorder, also Social Phobia? Just recently I have found out I have this, in a minor case :tongue: and then come to find another friend of my who is also INFP has it to, she hid it from me because she was afraid to tell people about (hence social anxiety :laughing:) I find it funny, kinda ironic to. But seriously any one else seem to think they have this? or is is just rare?

Social Anxiety Disorder and Social Phobia: Symptoms, Self-Help, and Treatment

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It could be connected to Enneagram Type 5 too, with their social troubles and all that. As for me, I don't think my shyness has reached that far; at the most, I'm in danger of reaching the borderline.

Reactions: Azelll

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yeah, I have it. But SAD is pretty much always an underlying cause of something else, or at least that is how I understood it. Maybe you should seek some counseling? If there are deeper forces at play, it might be good to pull them to the surface.

There is also a difference between being really shy and having SAD, and I feel that the intense shyness is what tends to be INFP, and that SAD goes beyond that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im a type 5 INFP and I have social anxiety...its not debilitating though..so I wouldnt call it a disorder. Shyness..intense.

I was in front of my French class uploading a video today and my hand wouldnt stop shaking and I began sweating! it's embarrassing but it's life lol.
I also just love when people just arent around....like I really hate to go into the dining hall at my school during the busiest hours, because I get so uncomfortable.
Sometimes I hate leaving my dorm and walking places by myself because people stare at me (or at least I feel like they do) and I don't always feel comfortable talking and starting conversations with strangers (but its weird because I actually love people and I want to connect with others but idk i just get jgdgjlfh).
ummm I live in a suite with 4 other girls and when they bring hoards of friends over and I have to do things such as take a shower and use the bathroom, I stay in my room until everyone leaves.
I stutter and have what I feel is a blank look (my mom calls it "dewy eyed" lol) when nervous about talking with someone--i.e crush, professors.

So yea, hate that I shared this but I hope you dont feel alone with your social anxiety. I actually really wanted to talk to a counselor about it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes, which is why we go on these threads. We're INFPs, we're scared of getting out of our heads, dreamers, we'd rather stay in bed than have to deal with what's being said.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I was diagnosed with it when I was 18 (long time ago). I went to a therapist and read some book "Dying of Embarrassment". It worked. I still suffer a mild form from time to time it's usually if I have to go to a large social event and engage in a lot of small talk (which I suck at). Drinking wine usually gets me by...

Oh and you can forget about public speaking, I rather die.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive never been a social person. Im very shy and prefer not to say much to people, because there isn't too many people out there with similar ideals or interests. I honestly enjoy my isolation. If I stay quiet, people don't really have much information to judge me with, or gossip about.. I like to leave people guessing.

Strangely.. Im pursuing a career in cosmetology! Which is a feild for extroverts. I'm really talented and LOVE the beauty industry and making people look and feel great but I feel that its going to be a challenge for me. Im going to have to really step up my communication skills

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I have it. But SAD is pretty much always an underlying cause of something else, or at least that is how I understood it. Maybe you should seek some counseling? If there are deeper forces at play, it might be good to pull them to the surface.

There is also a difference between being really shy and having SAD, and I feel that the intense shyness is what tends to be INFP, and that SAD goes beyond that.
Yea I am going to go see a therapist, Oo you know I never really noticed till now but the word rape is very close in therapist :laughing: I guess cause he rapes your mind of info :laughing:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was diagnosed with it when I was 18 (long time ago). I went to a therapist and read some book "Dying of Embarrassment". It worked. I still suffer a mild form from time to time it's usually if I have to go to a large social event and engage in a lot of small talk (which I suck at). Drinking wine usually gets me by...

Oh and you can forget about public speaking, I rather die.
yea I can relate lol, once I had to do an essay in class, I went to the teacher a day before and told him to I'd rather take an F, he said come on try it i said, can i just take a bullet to the head instead? XD

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ive never been a social person. Im very shy and prefer not to say much to people, because there isn't too many people out there with similar ideals or interests. I honestly enjoy my isolation. If I stay quiet, people don't really have much information to judge me with, or gossip about.. I like to leave people guessing.

Strangely.. Im pursuing a career in cosmetology! Which is a feild for extroverts. I'm really talented and LOVE the beauty industry and making people look and feel great but I feel that its going to be a challenge for me. Im going to have to really step up my communication skills
You can do it! It's hard to learn how to communicate well with people so that you can advance in your career, but it's even harder to be truly skilled and talented at your job. You already have the skill and talent, so you are ahead of most people, the communication skills you will pick up along the way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I most definitely have these issues. Always have and as much as it sucks according to modern day social standards, I'm pretty sure I always will. Thankfully I'm pretty comfortable with my weirdsms by now and know what to expect from myself. Now if only the people around me could be a little more sympathetic my life would be lot less stressful. :p

Reactions: leadintea and Luke

·
Registered
117 Posts
Type 5 INFP with social anxiety here.

The funny thing is, I'm reasonably comfortable with public speaking and I quite enjoy it - I MUCH prefer it to socializing! :laughing:

There's just something about "talking at" people - you still have to consider their background and interests, but not having to take responses/questions until the end is a saving grace - rather than playing conversational volleyball.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've always been shy and sometimes assumed to be anti-social, however, there's nothing I want more than to socialize / feel accepted. It's this weird dilemma inside of me. My parents are both quiet and perfectly content to keep to themselves. They never taught / showed me by example how to make small talk or do little things that I've picked up later in life from watching others... such as people LOVE when you keep repeating their name in the conversation. It feels really unnatural to start doing these things after so many years of only talking when I feel like I have something important to say.

Interesting that public speaking was brought up. I get really nervous - but then people will come up to me afterwards and say things like "you seemed so calm and collected." How does that work!!

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
<.< ehm SAD has nothing to do with being INFP...its unrelated to function order. I suggest going through CBT and fixing social anxiety, then retesting and trying to figure out your types.

Anxieties, phobias, shyness =\= introversion. They are completely different things. One is a problem and the other is a preference.

I've always been shy and sometimes assumed to be anti-social, however, there's nothing I want more than to socialize / feel accepted. It's this weird dilemma inside of me. My parents are both quiet and perfectly content to keep to themselves. They never taught / showed me by example how to make small talk or do little things that I've picked up later in life from watching others... such as people LOVE when you keep repeating their name in the conversation. It feels really unnatural to start doing these things after so many years of only talking when I feel like I have something important to say.

Interesting that public speaking was brought up. I get really nervous - but then people will come up to me afterwards and say things like "you seemed so calm and collected." How does that work!!
I think there is a high chance you are an extrovert if you have such needs. I suggest learning social skills and trying it out. If you are an E and you don't follow the preference it will lead to feeling unhappy and other crap.

Also as someone here already suggested, read this: http://nievesmarketing.com/documents/psychology/shy.pdf

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yea I am going to go see a therapist, Oo you know I never really noticed till now but the word rape is very close in therapist :laughing: I guess cause he rapes your mind of info :laughing:
Oh, my, god.

There is no such thing as a therapist. It is The Rapist! And he will fuck you up! Everyone run, run while you still can!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think there is a high chance you are an extrovert if you have such needs. I suggest learning social skills and trying it out. If you are an E and you don't follow the preference it will lead to feeling unhappy and other crap.
Hmm... really? I'm confused now. All introverts don't like socializing? I'm pretty sure I'm introverted because in school/work situations I think it's annoying when people talk just to hear themselves, I'd rather just work on the task at hand. Small talk pisses me off because it's just a way of showing you're being polite, but you don't actually care what's going on with the other person. But there's a need inside of me to have one-on-one interactions with another human, at least once daily, so that I don't feel like the odd (wo)man out all the time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts