• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we've always been accused of running around with our heads in the sky
and probably can't help but to wonder what's up there?:shocked:

trying to stray away from the idea of religion on this one, but concepts from can be used to supplement ideas:dry:

Is everything energy?
higher frequency and lower frequency?
what is conscious?
is everything conscious?
is there higher consciousness?
what is the origin?
what image does the bigger picture create?
where does "it" come from, and where is "it" going?
is the sum of the energy/consciousness expanding or compressing?

In conclusion, just curious to your personal beliefs on what lies beyond the clouds.... or beyond our brains...ect.

to me, everything has an energy frequency to it. ex. light energy, or the energy holding an H2O molecule together. Guessing that this energy is categorized from highest frequency to lowest frequency. What is the highest/lowest of the wave lengths? Humans are an entity of energy. This enables us to be conscious. Your computer is made of matter, that has energy properties to it. Is it conscious? or the coffee in your cup? The sum of all the energies, or the totality of all consciousness is what i am trying to discover/live for each day/moment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am an agnostic atheist but I clicked collective consciousness because I do kind of agree that there is a "hive mind" phenomena. But this is explained as just a side effect of culture so I don't know that it's anything spiritual for me.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The reality I experience is a sensory experience sprayed across my consciousness. It is a representation of an objective external reality that is received by my senses and converted into electrical signals in my brain. My consciousness is a special form of information processing device that is specialized for certain tasks that the rest of my brain isn't suited to processing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My mind, and my soul are contained within the chemical and physical make up of my brain. An incredibly complex self sustaining system of systems of reactions. I can't explain what gives rise to the soul, but i think it can be explained by the same laws that govern the universe, whatever they may be. However, i don't actively search for what could have given rise to my soul, and i think knowing something like that could be a bad thing for people in general.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I believe everything exists while simultaneously doesn't exist. The soul, the brain, experiences, sensory datum; when viewed on a small enough scale ceaselessly fades in and out of existence while when viewed from a wide enough angle just doesn't matter, it's only at a specific scale when things start to matter, but that isn't to say that due to the insignificance to a certain given 'thing' it doesn't blend into the overall importance to everything either.

The soul and spirit, after reading up on Theosophy, makes sense in this way; the soul is our immediate personality's ascetic appeal, moral philosophy, outlook, and critique of the world, how we go about handling ourselves and situations overall. While our spirit is the overall effect of our soul, the AOE to use game terminology on those around us.

Everything organic is energy, everything which has it's place in the natural world started in the age old primordial soup, everything living is connected in a myriad of ways from swapping characteristics to relying on one another to thrive in balance in the given world.

This is just a summary that works right now in how I understand my angle of things concerning spirituality. I'll definitely be lurking around this thread =)

Is everything energy?
yes.

I am not equipped or informed enough to give a definitive answer, but my guess is that it would vary pending on level of complexity.

what is conscious?
The method for navigating the physical realm.

is everything conscious?
To a certain extent, everything natural has consciousness about it on a surreal level. Plants thrive when listening to classical music or when spoken to sweetly for a reason.

yes.

what is the origin?
Prior to the multitude of big bangs which have happened in pre-history. I would say that the origin of higher consciousness is when our energy makeup once again deteriorates to rejoin with the collective pool which everything spurns from.

A single tapestry where everything weaves in and out of.

"it" doesn't come from anywhere nor going anywhere, it just is.

Again, neither expanding or compressing, it just is.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything is 42. Case closed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a buddhist, and I believe that the world we experience is nothing but a illusion of the senses. Only with evolution and control of our minds we can experience "true" reality. That means that through inner peace, serenity, compassion, wisdom, and without prejudice, segregation and attachment to earthly concepts and ideas we can understand the real nature of reality, and so be released of all suffering.

I already gave a lot of thought to theories about existence and reality, but never reached no conclusion whatsoever and thinking about it only made me confused and frustrated. I decided to accept that the answers to such questions cannot be reached by rational means.

Feel free to disagree, of course. :)

By the way, am I the only one sensing a lot of "T" on this thread? o.o

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'm a buddhist, and I believe that the world we experience is nothing but a illusion of the senses. Only with evolution and control of our minds we can experience "true" reality. That means that through inner peace, serenity, compassion, wisdom, and without prejudice, segregation and attachment to earthly concepts and ideas we can understand the real nature of reality, and so be released of all suffering.

I already gave a lot of thought to theories about existence and reality, but never reached no conclusion whatsoever and thinking about it only made me confused and frustrated. I decided to accept that the answers to such questions cannot be reached by rational means.

Feel free to disagree, of course. :)

By the way, am I the only one sensing a lot of "T" on this thread? o.o
I so disagree with you!

Haha okay, not really. I'm not Buddhist myself, but I agree with many Buddhist teachings (especially those of Chan/Zen Buddhism). In addition, it's probably the most psychologically healthy religion I know of. But I do not want to officially belong to any one religion, as I enjoy learning about all of them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Use the Force.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I chose "collective energy" because energy is the force behind everything. I think that everyone and everything are somehow connected (collective energy). I believe that our true purpose is to love and that we are playing a silly children's game with the way society is set up today.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am part of the Dzogchen Nyingma school (really its a tantra) of Buddhism. The "view" as it is called, is hard to summarize, but to put it briefly the basic precepts are that all things are Mind (synonymous with consciousness, though even that word is not entirely accurate). All things are inherently empty of self, because all things are part (but not really part, as each thing is inseperable from the whole) of one cosmic flux. Our "selves" are just thoughts, or a series of physical, emotional, and mental reactions and interactions which seem to compose an identity (which is really just a recognizable pattern) over time. Perhaps you would ask who or what recognizes it? That would be the dharmakaya, which you can think of as a mirror. It is pure awareness, with the ability to be self-aware of that which appears in it. Pure awareness gets lost in thought patterns which trick it into believing it is confined to a human body, and that exists as the mind-body organism, when really it is limitless and even the experience of being a human occurs within this field of awareness. To further utilize the mirror analogy, the images which appear upon the mirror are inseparable from the mirror itself. Likewise the forms appearing within the field of awareness are inseparable from the field itself.

You could say that all things are energy, certainly, but even energy exists within the field of consciousness. Awareness, or the true "self", exists beyond all confines of time and space, and thus it goes nowhere, it comes from nowhere. It is timeless. The human mind is usually inclined to think of things as being defined and as having beginning and end. However, one finds that beginning and end are entirely relative, not absolute (as are definitions).

Each of us is the universe looking in on itself... imagine there is a lightbulb, and a black sphere covers it, keeping the light in. Now you poke millions of tiny tiny holes into the sphere, and the light goes through each hole. Each one of us is a hole, and the light is the one universal consciousness. Thus, each of us is a fixture by which the entire universe looks in on itself.

But these are just words, and they do not do justice to the true nature of reality. To end with a Zen quote "The sound of the rain needs no translation".

·
Registered
696 Posts
Theories about how we are living in a matrix make the most sense to me.
The movie 'The Matrix' explained much; I have a strong sense that we
are just living in a virtual reality, a computer program that is downloading into our
subconscious. Apparently this is blocking the contact with our higher self, which
in turn is supposed to be connected to the creator/source or whatever.

I don't know about anyone else, but it really feels like this to me - that the whole
thing is an illusion.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I think the best answer to your question is I don't know, but here is a random collection of my spiritual beliefs:

-I believe in a creator because I'm unable to conceive of a universe without intent or purpose. I can't define it, or its intent, and I feel no need to worship it. There is purpose in life but we're not necessarily supposed to know what it is.
-I don't believe in non-existence. I think existence is simply the nature of our world. When we die, we'll either return to this plane of existence or carry on in another.
-I think loss is inevitable but suffering is largely our own creation.
-I believe we're all connected in some way. To hurt ourselves is to hurt others and vice versa.
-I believe in a soul or spiritual self.

A lot of common spiritual-ish questions are anathema to me. Does it really matter if we're all energy or play-doh?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
(obviously, all of this to be put into idioms gets filtered through a human perspective)
Ya, totes mcgoates!
Like one energy, one awareness, one love.
You can label it differently,but it's all connected to one eternal essence.
(you knows because energy cannot be destroyed , or created... it only transits)
So that you realize eventually all separateness is illusory, or all other realities are only relatively real.

Frequencies have to do with manifestation, it is the initial energy that you are a part of manifesting on a certain level of vibration. For example, here on this 3 dimensional physical reality generally things manifest slower, especially when we are talking about the initial energy filtered through the illusion of separateness. As the initial energy manifests more-so into the earth plane our ability and rate at which we manifest increases... Moving what we perceive as "physical" more into what we perceive as "spiritual".

what is conscious?
You.

is everything conscious?
Everything that is here (has manifested) so yes everything is part of the same mass gestalt intelligence that we are a part of.

Just more of it, you know, because right now we are kind of playing with duality. We have accepted non-awareness as a reality
and as a tool to help discover ourselves. Right now for the earth plane, consciousness is the water and we are as fish swimming through this water trying to understand it. (piscean) Soon we will be moving towards experiencing the water in a different way as we will be able to contain the whole ocean within us (aquarian). (oh shit that just happened)

It's not coming or going anywhere it's just changing form.

I'm sorry if this seems radical, but I can't help it...
If you're a Hendrix fan you already know... "I'm bold as love."
I really enjoy this thread, It's encouraging to see like ideas. maybe that's a bad thing... ;p

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is everything energy?
Energy and empty matter, yes.
I'm not sure what this is asking...
what is conscious?
Consciousness is the awareness of self, consciousness is cogito ergo sum.
is everything conscious?
Yes.
Yes.
what is the origin?
The origin is life, which comes from the infinite, which has no origin, and yet does as it is infinite.
Infinity, which cannot be imagined. If we can imagine it, then we are conscious, and if we are conscious than what we see is really only a small part of what is truly there.
It comes from no where, yet everywhere, and it is going nowhere, but in all directions.
I would say, that in pre-infinite stages of life, consciousness expands. Yes, I do believe in reincarnation. I do not, however, believe in karma.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I am part of the Dzogchen Nyingma school (really its a tantra) of Buddhism. The "view" as it is called, is hard to summarize, but to put it briefly the basic precepts are that all things are Mind (synonymous with consciousness, though even that word is not entirely accurate). All things are inherently empty of self, because all things are part (but not really part, as each thing is inseperable from the whole) of one cosmic flux. Our "selves" are just thoughts, or a series of physical, emotional, and mental reactions and interactions which seem to compose an identity (which is really just a recognizable pattern) over time. Perhaps you would ask who or what recognizes it? That would be the dharmakaya, which you can think of as a mirror. It is pure awareness, with the ability to be self-aware of that which appears in it. Pure awareness gets lost in thought patterns which trick it into believing it is confined to a human body, and that exists as the mind-body organism, when really it is limitless and even the experience of being a human occurs within this field of awareness. To further utilize the mirror analogy, the images which appear upon the mirror are inseparable from the mirror itself. Likewise the forms appearing within the field of awareness are inseparable from the field itself.

You could say that all things are energy, certainly, but even energy exists within the field of consciousness. Awareness, or the true "self", exists beyond all confines of time and space, and thus it goes nowhere, it comes from nowhere. It is timeless. The human mind is usually inclined to think of things as being defined and as having beginning and end. However, one finds that beginning and end are entirely relative, not absolute (as are definitions).

Each of us is the universe looking in on itself... imagine there is a lightbulb, and a black sphere covers it, keeping the light in. Now you poke millions of tiny tiny holes into the sphere, and the light goes through each hole. Each one of us is a hole, and the light is the one universal consciousness. Thus, each of us is a fixture by which the entire universe looks in on itself.

But these are just words, and they do not do justice to the true nature of reality. To end with a Zen quote "The sound of the rain needs no translation".
Hermetic teachings also point to the idea that everything is energy vibrating at different frequencies, that solid matter is energy at low frequencies and spirit is energy at higher frequencies. Hermeticism has become my favorite at this time, since you can find many of it's teachings on most religions and philosophies around the world I decided it would be more expedient to start at the root.

@Belovodia you may want to learn about Gnosticism, since there is where the Wachowski brothers took the ideas for their movie. And a little of Shadowrun (the RPG) where they probably took the name Matrix and the need of head-plugs for connecting.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hermetic teachings also point to the idea that everything is energy vibrating at different frequencies, that solid matter is energy at low frequencies and spirit is energy at higher frequencies. Hermeticism has become my favorite at this time, since you can find many of it's teachings on most religions and philosophies around the world I decided it would be more expedient to start at the root.

@Belovodia you may want to learn about Gnosticism, since there is where the Wachowski brothers took the ideas for their movie. And a little of Shadowrun (the RPG) where they probably took the name Matrix and the need of head-plugs for connecting.
I have a good (online) friend who is a Hermeticist, his gurus are apparently very high souls. I actually studied Hermeticism and Hindu occultism (and practiced according to Franz Bardon's "Initiation into Hermetics") for about a year. Truly fascinating stuff, I just found that Dzogchen fit my way of thinking a bit better, I found a teacher from the tradition and it suited my needs more than Hermeticism, though Hermeticism is just as valid as a spiritual path. If you go to forums.vsociety.net , you can read the articles posted by my friends gurus (under the articles section), who post under the names "Prophecy" and "Veos". They are twin brothers, apparently they have been reincarnating together for centuries. They live on the other side of the country from my friend, and on numerous occasions they have told him things about himself that no one could have known (like what he did the day before), they have appeared to him in dreams and told him what he was dreaming the next day, he told me once he saw them heal someone's hand, but he said he wasn't allowed to give details about it... however, I cannot attest to the validity of those statements.

In regards to energy, that is true, but at the highest vibration (the vibration of "The All", as Hermeticists call it, at its highest level) it is vibrating so fast that it doesn't even manifest as form, it is seemingly formless. Hence, (in Dzogchen) it is beyond vibration and non-vibration, as you could say it is vibrating so fast that it is pure space, or it is not vibrating at all (Eastern thought tends to gravitate towards everything being undefined, neither this nor that). But you are right, consciousness can still be seen as energy at its highest vibration. My friend once said that Hinduism and Buddhism are more suited towards an Eastern way of thinking, while Hermeticism, Gnosticism, and Thelemic teachings tend to be oriented towards the Western way of thinking (even though Hermeticism came straight out of Egypt).

Of course, neither of us (I am assuming) has reached Henosis or anything, so we are mostly talking about what we've read in books and what intellectually and intuitively makes sense to us.

Hermeticism is fascinating though, isn't it? Which books have you read (I assume that is how you've learned about it, as I have never once met a Hermeticist in person)?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've read the Kybalion by the Three Initiates that works, as they explain in the introduction, as a Master-Key of Occult knowledge, a good version can be read here: Gnostic.Org: The Kybalion. This was my first book on Hermeticism and it blew my mind on how advanced their thinking was so long ago that they were able to understand things that only recently scientist have proven to be true.

I also have a copy of the Corpus Hermeticum compiled by John Michael Greer (John Michael Greer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that I'm currently reading, it's not my first read through that book, I had read other versions found over the internet.

The emerald tablet is another one I've read, but so far those have been the only ones I've found. Most of the Hermetic books are very hard to find.

As a good INFP I don't separate Eastern and Western and I find myself interested in both sides, because I've been intuiting that a more holistic and complete path can be found at the middle of both, it's a reflection of my personality that while being a Feeler I find the Thinker subjects fascinating (after all I work as a .NET Developer) and some of my favorite subjects in school were chemistry, biology and other "hard sciences", so that is why I like dealing with both sides.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I actually find religion per se to be endlessly fascinating. Also, I don't see a clear dichotomy between religion and spirituality, as you can also derive deep spirituality from religion.

·
Premium Member
15,241 Posts
Well, I'm not into collective anything, that includes consciousness.

I believe there is *something* beyond this world that is very creative and powerful, however not the Gods described by Man. I believe just about everything is energy. NDE & what people bring back with them, the stories, is tres interesting.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts