Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been so overly observant that I feel like I've always crossed the maximum amount of seconds that is considered appropriate to look at someone... :laughing: can anyone relate? I always catch myself staring at people (random people, good looking, strange, anybody really) and don't really realize that I am! People have mentioned it before too, apparently i'm just really intense and kinda easily pick up on non verbal cues or just like figuring people out when I'm looking at them. can kinda "read" them so to speak... and tell somewhat how they're feeling.
But yeah, anyone else have staring problems???

I'm creepy:cool: heh

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I definitely have a staring problem. I have the wandering eyes! I try my best to just stare at the wall or the ground or something So I don't end up staring at someone. For example today while waiting for class to start. I was leaning against one wall and a classmate came up and leaned against the opposite wall. ( we were in a hallway) I had to stare at the bulletin board for 15 minutes just so I didn't end up staring at them! It's like I stare at people then start to blank out. Somewhat frustrating actually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah! I actually have to try extremely hard not to stare at people. On the bus that goes around my school campus especially. I'll scan the bus and stare at people and not realize.. and then I'll snap out of it and I just decide to stare at some selected random spot to stop myself from creeping people out:proud:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I can't naturally make eye contact. One day I did an experiment where I made a conscious effort to look people in the eye, and had several comment that my eyes were creepy or too intense. Good reason not to fake it, I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can relate, especially since I'm a little clunky at charisma in general. I'm sure that people misread me all the time.

I find it helps to look uber casual. Or, say something! Then you're allowed to look! .... casual conversation with strangers is EASY for INFP's, right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I pretty much stare at people when walking on the streets so i make a conscious effort to say "hello" or something like that. i try. haha... and same with the eye contact thing, I can't naturally do it. I actually lip read mostly because I'm hearing impaired so that may be part of it but still. eye contact... I just look like I'm overly focused. it's just awkward feeling and I'm sure it looks like it too. Usually if I try to make eye contact, i feel like i lose track of what I'm going to say altogether. lose lose situation! make eye contact, look too instense, don't make eye contact and then seem shady. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm bad at staring directly at people, like with eye contact, but I love to observe people. I feel like I can still be apart of something by observing... To me it's almost, yes almost the same thing as doing what I'm observing. Plus, I just naturally like to get information about things and people that way. -shrug-

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't like making eye contact. I've always felt that I was being rude or invasive when I look people in the eyes.

I stare too. If there's not much going on then I sit back and observe. I love to watch people interact. I feel like I must look strange because I'll go off in my own little world of watching and understanding for long periods at a time. It isn't always people either. I just find pleasure in it. It's what I do. Everything is up for observation.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Whenever I keep eye contact in a conversation, a thousand felines die. And on the other hand, I can't stare and talk at the same time. I'm actually thinking what a talent it is to keep sustained eye contact and communicate exclusively. Hm.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hmm... When I am talking or paying attention, I have no problem keeping eye contact. I was always taught growing up to look at people when they are talking. That it was rude not too because it gave the impression you weren't paying attention or simply weren't interested in what was being said.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yeah eye contact shows your currently engaged in whatever it is your doing, but stripped of the gestures, subtle cues and nods eye contact can also be perceived as a challenge. I kid you not, it's almost impossible for me to keep eye contact without having to look somewhere else to find my words.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It took me years to learn how to make eye contact while talking to someone. When I was young I wouldn't despite getting scolded numerous times. It just seemed wrong. It still does, I can just handle it now.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love to observe too actually, I just wish other people were more okay with it:laughing: I don't like making people feel uncomfortable, but I just really can't help it. Sometimes I feel as if I'm somewhat of a walking surveillance camera or something. I wonder if there are a lot of INFP spies????? wait maybe not, if they're obvious in watching. sometimes I'm able to conceal staring very well though.
Hmm.. very interesting.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
The moment I focus on making eye contact, all I can think about is eye contact, and I don't hear a word the person says, can't think of anything to say, etc. I can only pay attention to one or the other: either looking like I'm paying attention, or actually doing it. When I'm actually absorbing the ideas, I am fidgeting and looking elsewhere, which usually gives people the exact wrong impression about my attentiveness.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can relate to this. I am generally interested in studying people. I'd also like to think I am good at reading people. I am genuinely interested in people and I think this is part of it. I try to pick up little nuances as well as other things to kind of get an idea of what kind of person someone is... even if the person will most likely never even be a part of my life other than my observations... like people at the mall.

I've also found myself listening to other people's conversations. I don't ya' know, sit closer to people to hear or anything, but when people talk loud enough for me to hear then I will listen. Sometimes I wish it weren't so creepy of me to listen because on occasion I may have a little input for their conversation, but wouldn't dare say anything.

As for staring, I work extra hard as to not get caught. I don't think anyone, as of yet, has caught on to this.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts