Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this thread had been made before, it likely has but I'm not really willing to go back a ton of pages to find a similar one, so I figured I'd create this.

'Four temperaments is a proto-psychological theory that suggests that there are four fundamental personality types, sanguine (enthusiastic, active, and social), choleric (short-tempered, fast, or irritable), melancholic (analytical, wise, and quiet), and phlegmatic (relaxed and peaceful).'

I was wondering whether there's any link between INFP and the Melancholic temperament, which is what I scored in the test. Phlegmatic could be another popular result - I got Melancholic-Phlegmatic-Sanguine-Choleric in my results, in that order.

You can take the test here:
https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/O4TS/

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
I always tested as Melancholic-Choleric.

Your temperament is melancholic. The melancholic temperament is fundamentally introverted and thoughtful. Melancholic people often were perceived as very (or overly) pondering and considerate, getting rather worried when they could not be on time for events. Melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. Often they are perfectionists. They are self-reliant and independent; one negative part of being a melancholic is that they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of others.

·
Premium Member
15,288 Posts
I have taken the test a bunch. I always come up with Phlegmatic. I don't think there is any Sanguine or Melancholic in me at all. I am about, as far from a "4", as one can be.

But I'll take the test and see what today shows.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2
718 Posts
lol! I got Phlegmatic-Sanguine. That's 100% spot on.

I am an Enneagram 9 though, not a 4 like most INFP's, so that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
"I'd hate to live in the far north." but.. but... what do they MEAN by that?

Melancholic-Sanguine.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
"I'd hate to live in the far north." but.. but... what do they MEAN by that?
I think it's related to mood and weather, at least that's how I interpret it, because from my own experience in life, I discovered that I have SAD if I stay too long in Northern Europe (UK, Scandinavia, etc). I'm from Southern Europe and even here with all the sun we have compared to the north, when winter comes and it's so cold that I can't leave my house for days and days, I get a bit depressed. It gets even worse when I travel to the UK and stay there for a whole week. I feel my body and my brain shutting down, and I get mentally and emotionally ill. It's no joke how much weather affects some people. It doesn't affect anyone else in my family, or the friends that travel with me. So that's my guess... the correlation between temperament and weather. In the Ayurvedic tradition I am kapha constitution, which when you read the theory of Ayurveda, it basically says that my body & my mental health collapse in cold weather, and yes that's exactly what happens. I am so prone to feeling cold that even in summer at 40ºC when everyone else is dying, I'm feeling fine, and I've been seen wearing jackets in August, no joke. This was a bit of a tangent, but in eastern medicine body, mental health & weather are related. But then I'm just speculating about what that means lol

Now... onto my results xD... I took this test like five years ago and can't remember what I got, so I'll do it again and see...

Your temperament is melancholic. The melancholic temperament is fundamentally introverted and thoughtful. Melancholic people often were perceived as very (or overly) pondering and considerate, getting rather worried when they could not be on time for events. Melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. Often they are perfectionists. They are self-reliant and independent; one negative part of being a melancholic is that they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of others.

Yes I do have an obsession with punctuality lol. My most un-INFP trait xD

Reactions: twirler

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Today I got phlegmatic-sanguine but don't relate to the descriptions at all, so maybe my answers were a little weird. I'm pretty sure I've gotten just melancholic in the past, either way that's the description I relate to most.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Always been Sanguine-Melancholic! :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 7.10.59 PM.jpg

·
Registered
902 Posts
Oh, I've changed quite a bit!

--

Screenshot 2017-10-25 at 7.18.23 AM.png

Type description

Your temperament is sanguine. The sanguine temperament is fundamentally spontaneous and pleasure-seeking; sanguine people are sociable and charismatic. They tend to enjoy social gatherings, making new friends and tend to be boisterous. They are usually quite creative and often daydream. However, some alone time is crucial for those of this temperament. Sanguine can also mean sensitive, compassionate and thoughtful. Sanguine personalities generally struggle with following tasks all the way through, are chronically late, and tend to be forgetful and sometimes a little sarcastic. Often, when they pursue a new hobby, they lose interest as soon as it ceases to be engaging or fun. They are very much people persons. They are talkative and not shy. Sanguines generally have an almost shameless nature, certain that what they are doing is right. They have no lack of confidence.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I guessed, Melancholic would be the most popular answer.

I guess this is where the depressed INFP stereotype comes from. :tongue:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I got Sanguine but Choleric was pretty high as well. I've heard of this before but never investigated. What exactly are the four temperaments? What's its origin?

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,636 Posts
Sanguine.

I don't whistle when I walk, but I do hum made-up songs and smile a lot :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have to retake the test. 3 times i took this in the past and i get Mel/San

But now I am doubting if I am really Mel/San Haha!

=========

I took the test based on the link provided, and i really get a Melancholic personality! Wth!
And second is tied between Sanguine and Phlegmatic.

For Mel/San, i got these description from other sources. Not sure if they are really true for my case

The Diplomat is more friendly than the other Melancholy blends. They have high personal ambitions. This is a well-balanced systematic, precise thinker and worker who tends to follow procedures in both their business and personal life. They are attentive to detail and friendly. They like to do things correctly, according to predetermined standards. They are extremely conscientious. They need some mobility, rather then sitting for long periods of time. This is a versatile, productive individual that works well with most everyone. At times they can be sensitive, especially to criticism. They make decisions slowly because of collecting and analyzing information until they are sure of the best course of action (this is especially true when involved in a new project). To be highly motivated they need a structured environment with clear rules and procedures, time to organize, collect information, think and time to develop a plan and have some social interaction.
This melancholic blend is more social and extroverted than the others, more cheerful and charismatic.

They are emotional, and strongly so. Both melancholic and sanguine are emotional temperaments, with melancholic being on the negative, internal end and sanguine being on the extroverted, positive end. The combination of the two can lead to a personality that could be described as 'unstable'. This may lead to feeling like they're on top of the world one minute and depressed the next.

They're prone to exaggeration, of their own abilities or experiences, and do a lot of pondering and analysing while also desiring to attract attention.

These traits combined result in a character who makes a great entertainer or public speaker - as they are competent and skilled and want to show off what they know to seem impressive and receive admiration - but it can also lead to one who is emotionally difficult because they blow things out of proportion. They may attempt suicide or other similar things out of misery and attention-seeking, and their instability can lead to unpredictable behaviour at times.

Though friendly, open and a joy to talk to for many, they can be picky about who they prefer to speak to, and as such would prefer to talk at length with close friends or associates than with throngs of strangers at a party or something.

Due to being a combination of opposites, they may think that no temperaments (or all of them) fit them because they're sometimes one thing and sometimes another. What they should realise is that this apparent malleability of personality is in itself a trait that is indicative of a pairing of opposite temperaments.

In summary, they're the kind who spends a lot of time alone developing skills, then goes and shows off what they can do or what they know. They're the kind who brags but knows what they're talking about, in a 'look what I know/can do!' way rather than an 'I am better than you' kind of way..
MelSan (CI) the detailed and organized melancholy is tempered by the outgoing and warm sanguine. He makes an excellent teacher as his organized side is well versed in the facts and his sanguine side makes him enjoyable to attend to. If he goes into sales it will be sales that calls for exacting detail and the presentation of many facts. He is an emotional person - from being moved to tears to being critical and hard on others. Both temperaments can be fearful which may make this an insecure person with a poor self image.
MELANCHOLY - PHLEGMATIC

The Analyst is more conscientious and private than the other Melancholy blends. They withdraw from aggressive people. This quite individual works well in a structured environment requiring attention to detail. They are a systematic, precise thinker and worker who tends to follow procedures in both their business and personal life. They make decisions slowly because of collecting and analyzing information until they are sure of the right and best course of action (this is especially true when involved in a new project). They are good at anticipating problems but not good at taking action. They are usually very well organized and function best when they have a well-through out plan. To be highly motivated they need a structured environment with clear rules and procedures, time to organize, collect information, think and the time to develop a plan.
MelPhleg (CS) are often teachers and scholars. They are not as prone to hostility as other melancholy blends and combine analysis with organization. They make excellent accountants and bookkeepers. Unfortunately he can become easily discouraged and may be susceptible to fear and anxiety. They may become uncooperative because of stubborn, rigid tendencies.
The melancholic-phlegmatic is tidier, more procedural and less flexible than the phlegmatic-melancholic. He may be slower to take on new projects, as the melancholic fear of new situations and tendency to perfectionism takes over. The double-dose of introversion, along with the melancholic tendency to negativity, makes it difficult for him to give compliments and make upbeat small talk. It also causes him to instinctively say “no” when he first hears a request. Others may perceive this as “snobbishness.” Unless the melancholic-phlegmatic is very comfortable, and is surrounded by understanding long-time friends, he may find himself somewhat isolated and alone, unable to warm up in a social gathering. He is less critical and less grudge-bearing than a pure melancholic or a melancholic-choleric. However, the tendency of the melancholic to dwell on things for a long time in their mind, combined with the sensitivity of the phlegmatic toward interpersonal relationships, can result in long-lasting hurts, an erosion of self-confidence and self-esteem, and even depression. Extremely sensitive and possessing a longing for the ideal (melancholic), they are also highly attentive to what others need or desire, through their phlegmatic aspect. This makes them more than usually susceptible to anxiety and a negative self-image

This temperament combination is highly driven to succeed—not for success’ sake alone, but because their melancholic nature is drawn to high ideals, and their phlegmatic side will have a strong desire to please. Thus, they are capable of long-range planning, organization, and attention to detail that makes them excellent and conscientious scholars. They are capable of pursuing highly idealistic goals, usually with long-term academic requirements, such as attaining their doctorate. They value their friendships, but can spend many hours alone reading or studying. They may have a tendency to hypochondria or to genuine physical weaknesses, as well as a tendency to timidity and anxiety, especially about new activities or ventures.

One melancholic-phlegmatic we know is highly organized, critical, slow, and dogmatically unforgiving, yet reveals her phlegmatic aspect in her intense discomfort with confrontation (unless she is very at ease among the warring members) and in her strong relationships with her friends. You wouldn’t guess that she is so devoted to her friends, however, because true to her melancholic nature she rarely initiates contact with them – they always have to call her first. A tendency to avoid the stresses of social interaction by spending overmuch time alone—whether in scholarly pursuits or reading for relaxation—is something that melancholic-phlegmatics need to watch out for.

If your temperament is melancholic-phlegmatic, for a better understanding of your temperament it is recommended that you read the full descriptions of the melancholic and phlegmatic.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I tested as melancholic. I usually test that way.

·
Registered
24,382 Posts

1 - 20 of 23 Posts