Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever feel like you hate obligations, and once you have them you don't feel like yourself?
Waking up when your job wants you to. Working even though you're sick or in pain.

How does it make you feel? When someone you live with threatens to kick you out when you don't want to work?

Reactions: starflower

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I hate all obligations of any kind. I feel like i'd rather die than do something simply because someone else said I have to.

So I look for a way I can utilize the job I'm doing so that it can benefit other people, then I feel like it isn't entirely pointless and stupid

god knows I don't go to work everyday because I want money

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work at a hotel, housekeeping. My bf's mom recently threatened to kick me out for not wanting to work, after telling me I shouldn't even work right now until I get my health problems taken care of. She said she doesn't want money, but that I need to support myself. I get food, but that's it for right now. All I know is that when I wake up today, I'm going to be kicked out if I don't go to work.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I work at a hotel, housekeeping. My bf's mom recently threatened to kick me out for not wanting to work, after telling me I shouldn't even work right now until I get my health problems taken care of. She said she doesn't want money, but that I need to support myself. I get food, but that's it for right now. All I know is that when I wake up today, I'm going to be kicked out if I don't go to work.
at least you have a motivation that plays into your internal emotions. i'd love to have my job apply to me like that somehow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I hate to work. Deep inside, I know I am lazy. I hate myself for having that inclination to slack. But I try to work hard and do what I can. And when people think I'm slacking when I'm actually putting the effort, it just makes me feel pissed.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at least you have a motivation that plays into your internal emotions. i'd love to have my job apply to me like that somehow.
Motivation to work? Lol. I'm quitting tomorrow :p

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to work. Deep inside, I know I am lazy. I hate myself for having that inclination to slack. But I try to work hard and do what I can. And when people think I'm slacking when I'm actually putting the effort, it just makes me feel pissed.
When people tell me I'm not trying, I tell them "If I wasn't trying, I would be dead" and they sigh, stomp off, give me a pissy look but the point is that they never say a word to me after that. Works every time.

Reactions: starflower

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been lucky enough to almost always have jobs that I enjoy with people that I like. There was only one time that I had a job I hated with a boss that I couldn't stand, and I was so miserable. Luckily that only lasted a few months though.
I've also always seen the point of going to work. I had my first part time job when I was 13, it was only £25 a week for a full 9-5 week, but that meant I was able to go away for a week's camping holiday that my parents couldnt have afforded to send me on otherwise. My parents worked really hard to look after me and my brother and lost their jobs a few times, so I suppose I've always appreciated the value of a job.
When I left uni I decided to write a novel so I took 6 months out to do that, but I treated it like work - getting up early, writing all day, then stopping at the end of a normal working day. After that though I was keen to get a job. I don't really like the feeling of being unemployed - having to fill in loads of forms, queue up in jobcentres, have to go for interviews and sign on every 2 weeks, not being able to get the house you want to live in because they don't take people on benefits, etc. I much prefer going to work than having to go through all that, and all for a tiny amount of money each week.
I am pretty ambitious really and if I want to do something then I go for it. So I've tried to get jobs that reflect my interests and values. Even though my work now is sometimes frustrating and stressful, there is enough challenge, interest and satisfaction to keep me happy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a housekeeper too! I don't mind the actual work (even though it seems pointless), but my schedule is crazy because my boss is always calling me in on days I supposedly have "off". I've worked the past 9 days straight... working a lot always seemed rather dumb to me, because what's the point of putting in all those hours if you have no time to spend your money or do what you want? (unless of course, your job has valuable meaning).

And yes- I hate obligations. It's gotten to the point where if a friend makes plans with me weeks in advance I will 90% of the time cancel, but if they call me that day then I will almost always go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really hate my "day" job.

I've worked overnights at a web hosting company for the past three and a half years and it's the most monotonous, unrewarding job I have ever had.

It's also the highest paying job with the best medical benefits I have ever had.

A friend brought up to me a very valid point in regards to my job. It pays money, but it consumes over half of my life and it's mentally, emotionally, and spiritually unfulfilling.

I want to quit that job.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been lucky enough to almost always have jobs that I enjoy with people that I like. There was only one time that I had a job I hated with a boss that I couldn't stand, and I was so miserable. Luckily that only lasted a few months though.
I've also always seen the point of going to work. I had my first part time job when I was 13, it was only £25 a week for a full 9-5 week, but that meant I was able to go away for a week's camping holiday that my parents couldnt have afforded to send me on otherwise. My parents worked really hard to look after me and my brother and lost their jobs a few times, so I suppose I've always appreciated the value of a job.
When I left uni I decided to write a novel so I took 6 months out to do that, but I treated it like work - getting up early, writing all day, then stopping at the end of a normal working day. After that though I was keen to get a job. I don't really like the feeling of being unemployed - having to fill in loads of forms, queue up in jobcentres, have to go for interviews and sign on every 2 weeks, not being able to get the house you want to live in because they don't take people on benefits, etc. I much prefer going to work than having to go through all that, and all for a tiny amount of money each week.
I am pretty ambitious really and if I want to do something then I go for it. So I've tried to get jobs that reflect my interests and values. Even though my work now is sometimes frustrating and stressful, there is enough challenge, interest and satisfaction to keep me happy.
Well, you were lucky you had parents like that, if only I did. What sort of jobs do you enjoy? My mother, after I turned 6 she started not working and being lazy and making my dad do all of the work. We started dumpster diving often, so I grew up not being pushed to get a job until my older sister told me to get one at 13. Besides, we couldn't afford to go anywhere anyway, and our house was too far from the city (To walk at least) so I was stuck at home often. Eh, i suppose my mother just wanted me to go to school anyway, and not worry about work. Also living in a cesspool city where you have to have social skills and be competitive or you're S.o.l. Sorry for rambling, but you're lucky you have good parents. My dad was the only good parent. He is an isfp and my mom is an ESXJ. What type are yours?

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really hate my "day" job.

I've worked overnights at a web hosting company for the past three and a half years and it's the most monotonous, unrewarding job I have ever had.

It's also the highest paying job with the best medical benefits I have ever had.

A friend brought up to me a very valid point in regards to my job. It pays money, but it consumes over half of my life and it's mentally, emotionally, and spiritually unfulfilling.

I want to quit that job.

o_O web hosting company? Do you work from home, or at an actual work place?

·
Registered
342 Posts
My dad is an ISFP and my mum was an ENTJ (she passed away a few years ago)

The jobs I had that I really enjoyed were working in a bookshop, editing magazines, and now teaching. I also used to work in a bowling alley doing lane service and the bar, I also worked in accounts which was boring but with really fun people - very sarcastic and funny, I don't mean really over-the-top "mad" types!

Working in a bookshop was lovely, it was peaceful, surrounded by books which I love, you got to have chats with interesting people like an old lady who came in and told me Viriginia Woolf changed her life, and the people I worked with tended to be lovely book-lovers. The only trouble with it was I couldn't earn enough doing that to support my family, otherwise I might still be doing it now!

·
Registered
58 Posts
o_O web hosting company? Do you work from home, or at an actual work place?
That's the best part. I don't *have* to be at my desk to do my job, but they make me come in there anyway. It's about a 45 minute drive each way.

I wanted to be a teacher for a while growing up. Now I do processing at a web hosting company and domme work on the side. I want my domme work to be my main job.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My dad is an ISFP and my mum was an ENTJ (she passed away a few years ago)

The jobs I had that I really enjoyed were working in a bookshop, editing magazines, and now teaching. I also used to work in a bowling alley doing lane service and the bar, I also worked in accounts which was boring but with really fun people - very sarcastic and funny, I don't mean really over-the-top "mad" types!

Working in a bookshop was lovely, it was peaceful, surrounded by books which I love, you got to have chats with interesting people like an old lady who came in and told me Viriginia Woolf changed her life, and the people I worked with tended to be lovely book-lovers. The only trouble with it was I couldn't earn enough doing that to support my family, otherwise I might still be doing it now!
Book store sounds ideal, depending on where it is. If it's in a city that is small and slow, that would be great, but yes, the pay probably wouldn't be much and you'd have to get two jobs. I'm sorry to hear about your mom passing away. It hurts more if your parents are great people I suppose. Eh, just assuming on that one though.

I used to live with this INTX and he used to tell me "If you worked in a small antique store or a book shop, you'd make it like a home and you would love it, I can tell" and I opened his eyes up to the simple things, how to love them and not think that everything has to be so competitive. Of course it didn't stick, lol but I did open his eyes. It's true though. If it has some kind of purpose, like being able to do what you absolutely adore. Reading on your break while eating lunch, sharing different stories and listening to people talk about them. Or just so long as it tickles your heart and doesn't deaden it.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
My first Job was Subway when I was 16 I quit after a month I hated it and my anxiety would go up,The thing about New York is when you work you HAVE to work fast,going out of state and traveling I noticed that a lot of states work at slower paces then us,and I don;t even live in NYC.

Then I was a carney now I know everyone has all these Misconception that people are dirty who work there it's not true in most cases SOME are yes,but I worked with a family buisness so It wasn't dirty.There was Positive and negative aspects to working since it was a family there was so Much favortism it was ridiculous I mean I couldn't stand it that and working 16-18 hours a day Not being able to sit down really wears you out then after work trying to go to bed with the dirty carnies usually ride operators and concession workers partied and were loud ,when I was I don't know 2Am in the morning and you had to be to work at 7Am to work another 16-18 hour shift It sucked.

Good thing was since I was a game operator I LOVED the little kids I loved seeing their faces when they won so excited I loved talking to them,I loved giving them their prize,children are so full of hope and life it's really refreshing after you see so many cynical adults.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My first Job was Subway when I was 16 I quit after a month I hated it and my anxiety would go up,The thing about New York is when you work you HAVE to work fast,going out of state and traveling I noticed that a lot of states work at slower paces then us,and I don;t even live in NYC.

Then I was a carney now I know everyone has all these Misconception that people are dirty who work there it's not true in most cases SOME are yes,but I worked with a family buisness so It wasn't dirty.There was Positive and negative aspects to working since it was a family there was so Much favortism it was ridiculous I mean I couldn't stand it that and working 16-18 hours a day Not being able to sit down really wears you out then after work trying to go to bed with the dirty carnies usually ride operators and concession workers partied and were loud ,when I was I don't know 2Am in the morning and you had to be to work at 7Am to work another 16-18 hour shift It sucked.

Good thing was since I was a game operator I LOVED the little kids I loved seeing their faces when they won so excited I loved talking to them,I loved giving them their prize,children are so full of hope and life it's really refreshing after you see so many cynical adults.
Become a childhood teacher? :happy:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts