Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much like other NF types, I judge attractiveness more on an individual's personality than their looks. I'll be honest, looks is what initial attracts us to 'the other' (or at least in my case).

How do you feel around really attractive people? Of the same sex? opposite sex?

Describe your 'ideal' partner in terms of looks & personality.

How would you feel if you met someone who was very attractive, but whose personality was not all that much interesting. Would still consider asking them out?

How do you feel about your looks? Do you think you are attractive?

When do you feel the most attractive?

I am just curious about all these things. I felt a bit shallow for starting this thread, but at the same time, I didn't see anything like this around the INFP forums.

Thank you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Describe your 'ideal' partner in terms of looks & personality. beard, a bit taller than me, dark hair... personality: confident type who doesn't need to compete with me or anyone else. the type who just enjoys life.

How would you feel if you met someone who was very attractive, but whose personality was not all that much interesting. Would still consider asking them out? he he he he he he he he he he he.... I'm too much of an introvert the ask out even the one's I like personality wise.

How do you feel about your looks? Do you think you are attractive? I think I look a bit weird. but on a good day I see myself as a bit above average.

When do you feel the most attractive? basically whenever I'm having a good day :p

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I like people who look unique. I think I have different taste to most men. I'm not generally attracted to celebrities or girls in magazines. I prefer the girl next door who has a one of a kind type of beauty. I can be a sucker for a pretty face, but I wouldn't date someone if I didn't like their personality. I think it's harder to find someone with the right personality than it is to find someone who is physically attractive.

I don't think I'm attractive. My personality is unusual (people generally aren't attracted to it), people generally don't find me good looking either. I think what makes a male attractive is very complicated and I'm not sure exactly how it works, but for some reason I don't have the right characteristics. Some women have even said "eww", in relation to the idea of being with me. That was when someone else asked them what they thought of the idea of being with me, so it wasn't due to me saying or doing anything that they would find offensive. This has happened more than once.

I may not be attractive, but I have been given other gifts and if I had the chance to trade them for the gift of being attractive, I wouldn't do it. I'm happy the way I am.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

It entirely depends what kind of attractive. Flawless, model-style beauty doesn't really make me feel anything. Unusual, quirky features will make me feel very uncomfortable. I have trouble looking them in the eye because I get so intimidated. This is the same for males and females.

Looks really don't matter to any great extent. I can and have dated men who have not been considered attractive to most. The personality really brings out the attraction. I like them smart, quiet, pensive and playful at the right moments. I like someone who enjoys pleasing me (emotionally).

How would you feel if you met someone who was very attractive, but whose personality was not all that much interesting. Would still consider asking them out?

Zzz. No.

I've always felt unattractive for the most part, but I think with a low weight, clear skin, light make-up and the right clothing I can be decently attractive. I've struggled to think of myself as a raw beauty though.

When I'm thinner. Weight gain makes me ugly, in my opinion. It also makes me insecure, which makes my personality unattractive.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Much like other NF types, I judge attractiveness more on an individual's personality than their looks. I'll be honest, looks is what initial attracts us to 'the other' (or at least in my case).
Also in my case, which I think is fair, as you don't know the person yet. Well, actually with me it's mostly their charm that strikes me, but in my mind charm automatically translates to beauty. Like once, when I started at a new school, the first female I was attracted to was overweight and very plain looking, both in clothing and hairstyle, and she didn't wear make-up (personally I find make-up to be kind of a turn-off - at least if it's over-done - but I'm trying to say that she wasn't what some would call 'objectively beautiful') even though there were plenty of (what some would call) 'objectively beautiful' women in the class. And it was all because she had such a warm, charming smile and a cute way of being nervous, though I've never actually talked to her.

Of the same sex, there's nothing. Well, maybe a short sensation of aesthetic appreciation as I'd get with a pretty landscape or painting, but nothing more. I'm not afraid of homosexuality; I've 'experimented' with the thought of being homosexual and frankly, it felt quite wrong. That's not to say that I don't respect other people being homosexual; I respect it so much that I actually don't care...at all! Like I don't care when people are heterosexual.

When it's of the opposite sex, I feel the same aesthetic appreciation, only much stronger. Also I feel very intimidated by the person and I kind of elevate her to some sort of untouchable, god-like status. If I allow myself (which I never do), I fall deeply in love with her right away. Also, I do feel sexual attraction, though only significantly if she's flirting with me.

After 6 years of being single, I've become very open in these terms - and yet, very narrow-mindedly closed. In terms of personality, I want depth and complexity, but not too much of the latter (I tried that once - perhaps that is the reason why I've been single for 6 years). I want her to be herself, through and through. And she should, of course, respect me for who I am. Also, she shouldn't be too extroverted, always dragging me to parties and such.

When it comes to looks, all I really see in my mind is an adorable smile and beautiful eyes that shine with deep, unconditional love even though I realize that it sounds nauseatingly romantic.

"Asking them out" is never something I would consider doing, no matter what - perhaps my greatest fault (I'm simply too afraid). But when I find that someone I considered attractive turns out to be a jerk, the attraction remains even though it deeply bothers me; I try actively to find her unattractive.

Sadly, yes I do. I'm afraid that I find myself more attractive than most people, most of the time. However, I have this build-in modesty that will cause me to talk negatively about my looks towards others and sometimes it makes me see myself as the ugliest person alive. I dislike myself for liking myself so much; it's like I'm a narcissist in my mind while outwards, I can be very self-depicting. Here, however, I try to be neutral and honest, although it's a little painful and embarrassing.

Short and obvious answer: at times when I'm feeling confident about myself and I'm well-groomed, which I always am when I go out into the public for anything more than a quick stop at the local convenience store.

I am just curious about all these things. I felt a bit shallow for starting this thread, but at the same time, I didn't see anything like this around the INFP forums.
No need to feel shallow, there's nothing wrong with caring about beauty, as long as you aren't one of those jerks who care about beauty (or "hotness") exclusively because you're too thick to realize that life and happiness is much more than immediate fulfillment of instinctual needs. Somehow I got the feeling that you're not one of those jerks ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts

Around the opposite sex, I enjoy watching them, and will act polite to them as I would anyone else. But at the same time, some part of me sighs wistfully on the inside as think "Woah, she's totally out of my league. I don't have a chance in hell." Around attractive men, I think, "Yeah, see, this is why I don't have a chance in hell. Women have better pickings."

Attractive enough that I would want to keep the lights on when her clothes come off. Cute, but not necessarily hot. In other words, she should be about as attractive as I am. In terms of personality, she should be low-maintence, stable, sentimental, cuddly, passionate, protective, open-minded, unconventional, intelligent, knowledgeable, spiritual, earthy, sensual, and tolerant.

No.

Not enough, really. I can't compete with most other guys. I'm always slim (due to a fast metabolism), but I'm only about 5'6" (this is a big killer), and my nose is slightly asymmetrical. I'm not the spitting image of masculinity.

When a woman tells me I am--especially if she makes it clear that she intends to act on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts

People are almost never "attractive" to me. Sometimes I like a person's appearance, but at most I'll say they're "cute". I'm not able to feel attracted to someone I don't find attractive emotionally, whether it's same sex or opposite sex.

A year ago I would have given you a description of my "ideal" partner's looks, but now I know that that's not how it works for me. Personality is everything to me. If I like someone's personality, I will grow to love the way they look, and the other way around.

About ideal personality: they'd have to be nice. They should care for me and appreciate me. They should have feelings... I like people that are interesting, knowledgeable and a bit strange. Open minded as well.

I don't ask people out, but if I did: no.

No, I don't think I am attractive.

When I'm alone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't really get intimidated by conventionally attractive people. Though if someone had bright, attractive eyes then it may be hard to make eye contact with them.

quirky dress sense, cute face, beautiful eyes and hair that isn't too "tamed" :tongue:
personality wise: intelligent, creative, spontaneous, adventurous, shares my morals.

simple answer: no. Plus I doubt she would say yes.

I don't think I'm particularly attractive, I get called "cute" occasionally but I wouldn't consider it too much of a compliment to be honest.

I have very flattering lighting in my bathroom so I'd say there haha

·
Registered
799 Posts

I find it a bit hard to concentrate, if the other person is insanely good looking in the traditional way. No matter, if it's a guy or a girl. I'm not attracted to them, more like intimidated. I feel like they're too above me.

Looks wise, I typically like dark features, like hair, eyes etc... Mostly I'm attracted to looks that exude kindness and openness. Some imperfection can be really attractive. I guess down to earth types are my types. This is true in the personality wise. I think I tend to gravitate towards people who are like me. I like comfort and excitement (oxymoron?). Looks are not that important at all.

No, I wouldn't. What is in you head, makes all the difference.

I will be slapped in the face, if I say I'm ugly, so I'll have to say that I am handsome. I myself have trouble accepting this. History, you see.

When I'm in a good mood and/or someone says I'm attractive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What if I am one of those attractive people XD. Anyways, attractive people without much personality are more suitable for short term relationship, at least to me. But you know, when people don't have much personality, it's quite difficult for them to be interested in me because they are still in that more 'superificial' level? Don't get me wrong, they are still very good people, just haven't discovered themselves yet.

A girl doesn't have to be extremely good-looking, and I feel the attraction is not only limited to their faces. I can't really withstand people with no personality, that just annoys me so much. However, being naive is a kind of a personality to me too. So I guess the sense of depth is quite important to me. Still, good-looking is such an appealing quality to me, it's like a good dessert.

I'm a shy guy so surrounding with people, esp good looking ones, can make me a bit nervous. But that tends to fade away after we have a good talk. Wait, I'm even intimidated around attractive guys- does that make me bi? :)

·
Registered
7,676 Posts

I will be slapped in the face, if I say I'm ugly, so I'll have to say that I am handsome. I myself have trouble accepting this. History, you see.
I laughed so much at that!

·
Banned
867 Posts
I have the tendency to always stray to a naked women's eyes and get lost in their possible or current emotions rather than the fact THEY'RE NAKED. Some guys might think something is wrong with me, but I think eyes are the most attractive thing on humans. Luckily society hasn't decided we need to cover those up too, :laughing: imagine if we did.

*dramatic voice* "In the future where emotion became a primal thing only to be shared at home. Humans have adapted to live by their other senses, just not to offend each other with subjective feeling. "

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Well, same sex nothing special, but opposite sex I will notice. But I'm not mesmerized by it.

Long legged slender and fairly tall, say 176 cm with brown or red hair. ISFJ or INFJ.

No.

No, I have a greyish sickly pallor (although I'm in great shape). But a fair amount of girls and women still find me attractive; must be that INFP magic : )

After taking a shower.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Around women I feel very comfortable in my shoes (regardless of their looks) as I find I'm on the same wavelength that much more often than with other guys. Around guys however, I guess I feel a little.. 'intimidated' for lack of a better word. Some part of me just feels that if I'm falling for a girl *blushes*, that the attractive guy will be able to whisk her away before I can say a word.

In terms of look. I definitely go for the 'cute' look. The eyes are a massive turn on. Since I work out, part of me wants someone that will also at least to try to take care of their body, but weight and all that isn't the biggest thing. I loooove long hair. The feeling of it going over your face, I don't know.. makes it feel closer in a sense? As for personality, definitely all the common traits revolving around ENFP's. All my close friends bar one are ENFP, and I can't even explain how well that connection works for me. Actually going on a second date with an ENFP girl I've been friends with for a couple of years but never had the opportunity to ask out because of distance until she moved to my area a few weeks ago!

Actually did this at the end of last year with an ESFP. I knew it was a mistake, but I did it anyway, and it crashed and burned. I could see it coming before it begun. Today, her and me remain friends, but it took us a while to get to that afterwards. So, from now on no.

I'm really mixed in how I feel about my looks. I know for sure my eyes and arms are amazing ;) But on the other hand, I hate my hair and face weight. I've actually currently just upped my workout routine to lose a bit more fat. Also varies with my self-esteem day to day as well.

When I get, "You're cute". I get that from a lot of female friends, but its usually after I've said something quite abstract but made sense to me at the time. I've only ever gotten the 'hot' call from one girl. From any relationships I've had it's always been cute for me as well. I guess I like it because it's a bit of an ego-boost, and I know it's a compliment I can get, therefore somehow 'true'.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,906 Posts
When I like someone's personality, they appear to become more attractive physically and vice-versa.

I don't think being around attractive people affects how I feel much. I can't think of anything significant anyway.

I have dated guys who were very attractive with bad personalities before, but it never lasted long because of the above reason.

I don't have an ideal man in mind, I only know I like someone when I meet them, usually for various reasons that are individual to them.

I always thought I was average looking and those saying otherwise were just being nice. But most guys I've dated or had relationships with were good looking guys so I guess I'm maybe a bit above average or maybe I'm just a charmer
:laughing:

I feel most attractive when I go out with a guy and I've made the effort with make-up, clothes, hair and stuff and get some women I don't even know giving me hateful stares.
:laughing: But then I just get scared and try to subtly hide behind my date :laughing:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have fallen in love twice *without* having met them IRL. I fall in love with minds and hearts too easily, or perhaps I just fall in love too easily >_<

Slightly intimidated at first. Then I realize they're just people, except that they're really good looking.

Looks: Not too tall for me *crosses out at least two thirds of all women on the world off my list*. Cute and sweet in a sexy way. Slender, but not necessarily muscularly so. Generally attractive, but not a supermodel. Plenty beautiful without makeup.
Personality: xNFx, perhaps xNTx. Thinks with the heart, feels with the mind. Balanced. Strong willed, confident, playfully mature. Someone who people turn to and trust. Ambitious in terms of what she wants out of life in an immaterial sense. Deeply caring and thinking, but not acting overly so. Curious, investigative.

I don't really have a set list, but these are definitely on my 'ideal' partner list. However, I've never written out a detailed list, nor do I remember it when I come across a woman who captures my attention. Lol.

Consider it, yes. But actually ask them out? Nope.

Eh, not so. But I don't look horrible, I hope :S

When I finally get my hair the way I want it to look. When I'm wearing clothes that look good on me, that bring out the best of me and cover what I dislike about my physical features. When I'm not plagued by my allergies. When I'm allowed or asked to be as honest as I can.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I don't feel any different if it's someone that is conventionally attractive I mean I notice yes you are attractive in society's eye but you do nothing for me,now give me someone that has something unique about them and I may turn into a bumbling awkward mess.

I'm not sure about looks they don't matter all that much just as long as I am attracted to them.As far as personality I like someone who doesn't take life so seriously,has some creativity in them,is passionate about something,is kind to others and can have fun.

Ah Poo-corn,that's the name I give them well because they have a nice shell but inside there is really nothing there.I am not attracted to Poo-corn.

I struggle with this. I can go from thinking i'm alright looking maybe even attractive to thinking i'm a monster that shouldn't be in public eye.

When I myself am in a healthier place.

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts

Same sex – I get somewhat jealous, especially if he has an attractive person on his arm, and wonder why and how he does it. Then a self-preservation thing kicks in and I start tto think that maybe I may not like to be with the girl he’s with, not to mention I’m reminded that social gatherings etc aren’t fun for me so if I was more like him it may lead to me needing to have to go to more.

Opposite sex – My heart starts racing and I start panicking – getting antsy and casting quiet and nervous glances their way before staying FAR AWAY from them. I always figure that it’s better not to talk to them since they probably would be bothered by yet another person who wants to date them.

A redhead with boobs :D.

No seriously, when I think of my ideal partner I think of spending hours on the couch just cuddling and watching a movie, or talking about, anything really. I think of someone I feel comfortable telling anything, and knowing they won’t think I’m crazy for thinking weird things (same for her). Someone who enjoys hugging and spending time with you but is confident and more extroverted than I. Oh, and definitely a spontaneous, quirky kind of person who loves trying new things and is more “free spirited”. Other than that I find it hard to be specific because there’s good and bad in everyone and I figure if you narrow it to too many things, you make it into a list and take the fun (and chances of finding her) out of it. Basically I’m looking for someone who can be herself and let me be myself, and who will be loyal and honest.

As for the physical - soft long hair that goes everywhere when the wind is blowing or when she’s sleeping. Eyes that are the kind where if you look for too long you get lost and forget what you were saying. One of those French manicures but with the sparkly glitter-stuff added on.

Err, not likely. Call it discrimination if you want, but looks can fade – the personality is what stays the same. For me personality is the big thing. I don’t want to be with a supermodel who’s cruel to everyone she meets.

Not particularly. I really wish I had a beard – I figure that’d work wonders, but as it is there’s only ~3 chin hairs so :(.

When things are going well and I have inner peace and am being myself instead of being behind a mask. I figure it’s necessary to attract those who let you be you, so…

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

I think there is some level of initial intimidation, from either sex. However, I easily get over it. I don't really see them as any different from everyone else, because I base my feelings about a person on their actual personality. I might admire really interesting looking people from a purely aesthetic point of view, though. Sometimes that involves their dress and demeanor too.

It sounds schmaltzy, but looks don't play a very big factor. I tend to find dark headed, slightly burly and tall guys attractive but I've mostly had crushes on blondes, of varying builds. It just doesn't matter. Personality wise, they have to be intelligent and genuine. Funny is a major bonus, but as long as we can laugh at some of the same things, it's okay. Obviously being respectful is a huge deal, as well.

I would be pretty indifferent. First of all, I wouldn't ask someone out period, because I'm a huge baby. :tongue:
If I somehow mustered up the courage, though... they wouldn't be worth it.

I've had more of a struggle with this in the past than I do now. I always felt like I wasn't terrible looking, but I felt like other people didn't feel the same way and I judge myself by those standards. I've always been a bit chubby and that, of course, has its own struggles too. I think I'm attractive, though. Maybe not conventionally, but I wouldn't want to be conventional anyway. Whether or not other people agree, I think it's okay to have my own opinion on the matter. And I feel like that logic alone has gotten me to a better place.

I feel the most attractive when I find flattering clothing and my hair decides to behave. It's so random and sporadic, though. Some days I can feel great without an ounce of makeup and my hair flying everywhere on and other days, effort in my appearance is what gives me some level of confidence. I don't wear makeup everyday, though. I never want to become dependent on it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts