Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I feel like when I am discussing an ideal, my passion for a topic is misconstrued as aggression. I think this may be because I get more energetic and eager when I'm talking about something I believe in/am interested in, which makes it harder for me to be quiet and passive like I usually am. Also, I have a strong desire to hear other peoples opinions on the subject so i end up asking a lot of questions, which I feel some people think i do to attack their view, though in reality i respect them greatly, which is why I want to know about them.

Just wondering if any INFPs felt this way also, or if any other types notice this in INFPs. and feel free to add whatever else that you think relates at all; I'd love to here any thoughts. thanks! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can totally relate!
Usually though, I'll be going on about whatever it is I'm passionate about and people never really want to talk about it with me.
Like, they don't have as much passion for that or really anything else.
I don't know how to explain it really..
Like, when I like something.. I get really obsessed with it.. I'll read all the books about it or research whatever it is.
If it's a band I'll buy all their records and want to like, discuss them with someone..
other people I know seem to have more general interests..
Like they don't ever get extremely passionate about one thing..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly I often find that i end up going overboard with people that didnt really want to listen to me also, and then i feel stupid afterwards and like they think Im crazy.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm the King, but it's just because I've likely thought over the topic soo much vs someone who hasn't. However, while I like being "right" I love the potential of being wrong. Why? because it's a mind blower..

whoa

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oh, yes! You won't see me angrier than when people are bigots, or when they stand against gay rights. I WILL cuss you out, and I WILL have a poor opinion of you.

I'll try to be rational if you seem to have deep set values against it, but it will be hard for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm the King, but it's just because I've likely thought over the topic soo much vs someone who hasn't. However, while I like being "right" I love the potential of being wrong. Why? because it's a mind blower..

whoa
I love what you said about loving the potential to be wrong. Thats exactly why I'm so curious about other peoples opinions. The possibilities are just so amazing and fascinating!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can totally relate!
Usually though, I'll be going on about whatever it is I'm passionate about and people never really want to talk about it with me.
Like, when I like something.. I get really obsessed with it.. I'll read all the books about it or research whatever it is.
If it's a band I'll buy all their records and want to like, discuss them with someone..
Ditto. I like things to an obsessive degree. I usually keep it to myself unless I find I have that interest in common with someone else. But even then they rarely want to talk about it in as much depth as I do. It's always a pleasant surprise when they do though!

Like, recently I met someone with whom I could discuss the themes of femininity and motherhood in the movie Aliens and the way the fourth movie sexualizes Sigourney Weaver in a more preternatural sense (sexuality as power) than in the first movie when she is kind of pushed as eye candy...

So, yeah. Obsessive....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I get angry when people are insensitive to the nuances of the human character. We are complex creatures and can't be dissected in a clinical manner. Nothing is black and white. My brother is a very lateral thinker and starts spouting his bigotry on issues he knows nothing about. Talking about overweight people, he onced announced ''All the fat fuckers need to do is stop shovelling food down their gullets. Simple!'' I flipped. I've always had a screwed up relationship with food, I had bulimia at 16 and it comes back now and again. I just don't think anyone who hasn't had any issues with food is qualified to preach to those who have.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It depends on the INFP I think, but in some less healthy examples of the type their sensitivity can become, or at least be construed as, defensiveness. Applies particularly, I think, to religious INFPs - or at least the few I have encountered. One guy in particular had a very "la la la la la I can't hear you, you're stupid" kind of approach. Rather annoying really...

Of course, this isn't something unique to INFPs by any means... *whistles and looks at fellow INFJs*

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I can totally relate!
Wow I can really relate to this. Makes you feel pretty alone, huh. Like the Myers-Briggs test, for example. I obviously think it's pretty awesome but I there's really no one I can talk to about it. I will attempt a conversation on the topic but most people can only say a couple things and then they lost interest. Or like you said, with a band or artist. I will get totally obsessed with someone and buy all their stuff, read their biography, listen to them constantly and want so badly to talk to someone else who shares my passion! But it is just so hard to find another person who wants to go as deep on the subject as I do.

I usually feel really stupid when I play a trivia game for example. All the general knowledge questions are not interesting to me at all. I suck at trivia. But if you had a trivia game about '60s psychedelic bands, or '50s female country singers, then I'd kick everyone's ass! But yeah, there's like 2 people who even care about that stuff... like I said, makes you feel pretty alone. :sad:

sorry, this doesn't really fit with the topic of the thread.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I get angry when people are insensitive to the nuances of the human character. We are complex creatures and can't be dissected in a clinical manner. Nothing is black and white. My brother is a very lateral thinker and starts spouting his bigotry on issues he knows nothing about. Talking about overweight people, he onced announced ''All the fat fuckers need to do is stop shovelling food down their gullets. Simple!'' I flipped. I've always had a screwed up relationship with food, I had bulimia at 16 and it comes back now and again. I just don't think anyone who hasn't had any issues with food is qualified to preach to those who have.
Man I hate that too. People's sweeping generalizations about the lives of others, like they know everything and everyone. Nothing is "simple" like your brother seems to think. Especially when dealing with human emotion and behavior. My blood boils when I hear stuff like this.

Sort of related story - a man I know said he was upset that breast cancer gets attention when testicular cancer is "obviously more devastating". Wow that made me wanna kill him. How can you judge what CANCER is worse??? People have such f-ed up ideas about the world sometimes.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I come off as aggressive to some of my family members when they are saying things that they think are the truth, but are just plain wrong to me. They will say something prejudice or homophobic and I just start going off about why they shouldn't think like that. They seem completely taken aback or they roll their eyes because they think I don't know anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sometimes I feel like when I am discussing an ideal, my passion for a topic is misconstrued as aggression. I think this may be because I get more energetic and eager when I'm talking about something I believe in/am interested in, which makes it harder for me to be quiet and passive like I usually am. Also, I have a strong desire to hear other peoples opinions on the subject so i end up asking a lot of questions, which I feel some people think i do to attack their view, though in reality i respect them greatly, which is why I want to know about them.

Just wondering if any INFPs felt this way also, or if any other types notice this in INFPs. and feel free to add whatever else that you think relates at all; I'd love to here any thoughts. thanks! :)
I notice this in my fellow INFP friend (shes actually a member of this forum, i hope she sees this message XD). However I dont see it in myself as much and I also dont think she sees it in herself much either (so damn oblivious we INFPs are!). The thing that makes it most noticable is that her voice gets 10 TIMES LOUDER when she is talking about something that shes interested in or excited about. When we try to express ideas, I find that it is done in a disorganized uncomprehensible manner, the reason being i assume, that we have A) so many frigging ideas to express at once and B) INFPs are impatient relaying everything over again to other people when they have already established it in their own mind. If only each INFP came with their own sparknotes! (lol I think shakespeare was actually INFP now that I think of it)

So yeah loudness, impatience, and disorganized speech during times of enthusiastic expression i imagine make INFPs look like friggin lunatics but in reality they are quite sound and intelligent people. (I think we have a easier time online since we have plenty of time to organize our thoughts before we post something to the world.)

EDIT: IN RETROSPECT THIS POST LOOKS VERY DISORGANIZED. I HOPE YOU ALL GET WHAT IM SAYING

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
most of the time i let things slide because everyone's entitled to their own opinion and who am i to tell someone their beliefs are wrong? But when it's about something that i think is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, right and someone says its offensively wrong, then RAGEEEEEEE

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I notice this in my fellow INFP friend (shes actually a member of this forum, i hope she sees this message XD). However I dont see it in myself as much and I also dont think she sees it in herself much either (so damn oblivious we INFPs are!). The thing that makes it most noticable is that her voice gets 10 TIMES LOUDER when she is talking about something that shes interested in or excited about. When we try to express ideas, I find that it is done in a disorganized uncomprehensible manner, the reason being i assume, that we have A) so many frigging ideas to express at once and B) INFPs are impatient relaying everything over again to other people when they have already established it in their own mind. If only each INFP came with their own sparknotes! (lol I think shakespeare was actually INFP now that I think of it)

So yeah loudness, impatience, and disorganized speech during times of enthusiastic expression i imagine make INFPs look like friggin lunatics but in reality they are quite sound and intelligent people. (I think we have a easier time online since we have plenty of time to organize our thoughts before we post something to the world.)

EDIT: IN RETROSPECT THIS POST LOOKS VERY DISORGANIZED. I HOPE YOU ALL GET WHAT IM SAYING
haha me and your friend sound very similar. I also get very loud when I'm excited. My famiy and I jokingly refer to it as a "volume control issue"

The point you made about getting impatient when repeating an explanation because you already understand in your own mind sounds just like me! I didnt even think of that, but now that you mention it, it make perfect sense for i why i start rushing and speaking in a disorganized manner and it also accounts for why people misunderstand me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
most of the time i let things slide because everyone's entitled to their own opinion and who am i to tell someone their beliefs are wrong? But when it's about something that i think is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, right and someone says its offensively wrong, then RAGEEEEEEE
I agree completely that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. When having a discussion, I don't try to tell people they are wrong, I just express what my opinion on what I personally feel is right. I think its very admirable to have strong convictions, even if they differ greatly from my own, and just because I dont agree with someones beliefs doesnt mean i dont respect them. disrespecting other people only causes them to lose respect for you as well.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I can really surprise and scare people with how aggressive I can be about things, and a lot of times if I start speaking passionately/emotionally, other types, especially Ts, act like I am assaulting them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts