Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you comfortable asking for things? Things meaning: material stuff, favors, any kind of help...
Do you even believe you need anything from anyone?

This question came to mind today after feeling veeeeery exhausted with both sides of my family (the "other side" includes all of my in-laws). I know both sides of my family appreciate me, which I have to keep in mind in order to keep my patience, but I get irritated when every person tells me 10 times "If you need anything, call me". I always reply "Oh thank you so much, but I don't need anything". Then they say it again 15 minutes later "But if you need anything, call me, you never call me, and I'm here", and again I reply "Thank you so much, but I honestly don't need anything". On any given day I find 5 missed calls from my ISFJ mother-in-law, 2-3 missed calls from my ENFJ brother-in-law, and like 10 missed calls from my parents (my father is a very needy ISFJ, drives me crazy). Seeing all of this, and having to call everyone back out of politeness, and yet again having pointless conversations about nothing, and again the "Please call me if you need anything, I'm right here" and again me with me "Thank you, but I don't need anything". And then my mother-in-law poor thing calls my husband and their conversations end with "If entheos needs anything, tell her to call me or your dad, we'll be there" and my husband again "Okay, thank you, she says she doesn't need anything, plus I'm right here mom, she'd call me, not you". Exactly, when I need anything I call my husband, not his entourage or my family :/

The only things I feel comfortable asking for are advice and/or opinions, and information. Information in the sense of... if I have something burocratic coming up (paperwork I've never done before, or strange bills I've never dealt with before) or if I must go somewhere and I don't know where it is, I'll ask for directions.
As for advice and opinions, it is very rare that I ask with the intention of following the advice. Usually I don't. I'm just interested in human minds in general, so I just enjoy getting to know people a bit deeper by asking their opinion on things.

Is this an INFP thing? :p or is it my upbringing. I could go into my unbringing and how I was raised to be 100% independent, and every time you asked for something there were ugly consequences. But that's just a story. Maybe there's certain personalities more inclined to be independent, to their own detriment sometimes...? Honestly I even feel guilty if anybody wants to help me with anything. My ENFJ brother-in-law who is an accountant wanted to do my taxes earlier this year and I felt so so so guilty I couldn't let him, and I realized how insane I was because I'm 100% terrible at taxes, but I had this battle inside me that it would be a chore for him, when in fact he's the one who called me to do them for me. Sometimes I need a car ride somewhere and my mom will offer, and I feel sooooo bad I tell her no, and I take public transport. The few times when I do accept help against my wishes, I feel terrible inside.
And the thing is, for some reason, 99.9% of the time I truly am convinced that I don't need anything from anyone.

How about you INFPs?

·
Registered
16,160 Posts
Just about never.

Not only do I prefer to figure out things on my own, but, I research my own answers on Google.

My history includes the following: the one time I asked for help from someone, or asked a question -- the answer back from them, was so PISS POOR, I actually became bitter about it.

Hmm, I do ask husband for help with stuff quite often. This might seem weird but he seems to like it, being of service or helpful. He tests as an ISFJ. Maybe I adjust to meet his needs.

But for the most part, I would rather not ask others for anything.

Not only do I hate asking other people questions, but I usually hate when they ask ME questions or ask for help. I made this thread on it:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Are you comfortable asking for things? Things meaning: material stuff, favors, any kind of help...
Do you even believe you need anything from anyone?

This question came to mind today after feeling veeeeery exhausted with both sides of my family (the "other side" includes all of my in-laws). I know both sides of my family appreciate me, which I have to keep in mind in order to keep my patience, but I get irritated when every person tells me 10 times "If you need anything, call me". I always reply "Oh thank you so much, but I don't need anything". Then they say it again 15 minutes later "But if you need anything, call me, you never call me, and I'm here", and again I reply "Thank you so much, but I honestly don't need anything". On any given day I find 5 missed calls from my ISFJ mother-in-law, 2-3 missed calls from my ENFJ brother-in-law, and like 10 missed calls from my parents (my father is a very needy ISFJ, drives me crazy). Seeing all of this, and having to call everyone back out of politeness, and yet again having pointless conversations about nothing, and again the "Please call me if you need anything, I'm right here" and again me with me "Thank you, but I don't need anything". And then my mother-in-law poor thing calls my husband and their conversations end with "If entheos needs anything, tell her to call me or your dad, we'll be there" and my husband again "Okay, thank you, she says she doesn't need anything, plus I'm right here mom, she'd call me, not you". Exactly, when I need anything I call my husband, not his entourage or my family :/

The only things I feel comfortable asking for are advice and/or opinions, and information. Information in the sense of... if I have something burocratic coming up (paperwork I've never done before, or strange bills I've never dealt with before) or if I must go somewhere and I don't know where it is, I'll ask for directions.
As for advice and opinions, it is very rare that I ask with the intention of following the advice. Usually I don't. I'm just interested in human minds in general, so I just enjoy getting to know people a bit deeper by asking their opinion on things.

Is this an INFP thing? :p or is it my upbringing. I could go into my unbringing and how I was raised to be 100% independent, and every time you asked for something there were ugly consequences. But that's just a story. Maybe there's certain personalities more inclined to be independent, to their own detriment sometimes...? Honestly I even feel guilty if anybody wants to help me with anything. My ENFJ brother-in-law who is an accountant wanted to do my taxes earlier this year and I felt so so so guilty I couldn't let him, and I realized how insane I was because I'm 100% terrible at taxes, but I had this battle inside me that it would be a chore for him, when in fact he's the one who called me to do them for me. Sometimes I need a car ride somewhere and my mom will offer, and I feel sooooo bad I tell her no, and I take public transport. The few times when I do accept help against my wishes, I feel terrible inside.
And the thing is, for some reason, 99.9% of the time I truly am convinced that I don't need anything from anyone.

How about you INFPs?
I don't tend to call people or I should say I haven't been one to call people just to keep in touch.

The people you describe sound to me like they would just appreciate you doing that.

Now, more recently, I have been confined to my house both because of covid but mainly because I have issues with my legs where I have been using a wheelchair at home to get around. A couple of closer friends (as it turns out) have shown concern and made it a point to call me once in awhile to see how I'm doing and also to pick up my spirits.

The thing I've learned is that checking in has the effect of making life more worth living. I went from being depressed to being more confident in talking to others on the phone. Also, my INFP mind gets to replay the conversations and reconsider things I've talked about with others ( and you know how easily we do that kind of ruminating).

I've learned that people need to hear from each other and to develop close trusting communication with someone to maintain a better mental health.

I'm recommending that you follow up on developing more relationships over the phone. It's actually more comfortable than in person because there is no down time to cover. If the conversation seems to be slowing down just rap it up with some reassuring words like "Great to talk to you" and so forth.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah i do, or i have done, though its not someting i make a habit ov or do often.
Usaully it consists ov blagging a lift somewhere off a friend as i dont drive myself.

I did ask a strange favour a short while ago, off a complete stranger to which they gracefully helped, but i cant go into that lol.

Cant say its something i have a problem with. If im in a pickle, or need help with something, more often than not i will ask for a hand, and i like to think id do the same... though is that the same as asking for a favour ? Hmm

·
Retired Administrator
18,680 Posts
Congratulations on your wedding (I don't know when you got married, but I remember you posting here years ago before then, how exciting!)

But I tend to feel very uncomfortable asking for things, sometimes it is unhealthy. What you describe sounds healthier to me though--like you just don't need anything and perhaps the in-laws are trying to find ways to socially engage with you and you're an introvert.

But I try to be independent, and I find I often don't ask for things even when I need help--which I don't really think is that great or healthy, and it can actually sabotage my independence. I find it easier to ask for things when I feel it will make the other person happy, like they will feel useful or like they gave something. Because I sometimes like to feel useful.

For me it probably is related to upbringing.

And for myself, it is healthier to allow people to help me and to even ask for help sometimes.

I just thought of this song, which I think is really beautiful, but also very foreign to how I was raised. I think it's a great message though, because everyone is really interdependent and asking for help (or accepting it) can sometimes make you stronger, as can helping others and offering help (can make communities, people etc. stronger)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts