Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if other INFPs are attracted to the art form of beatboxing. For those of you who are unfamiliar with beatboxing, beatboxing is where you create rhythmic sounds with your mouth that may emulate certain drum sounds, or other sounds, while often at the same time creating a melody around the rhythm. Experts at this can create any type of beat you can imagine and still manage to create a melody around it.

Do any of you beatbox? If so, how long, and how did you get started?

I thought that maybe INFPs would gravitate toward beatboxing because it is quite satisfying to the desire to improvise and create personal versions of external sounds. At the same time it helps increase Judging activity through the focus and structuring required to create vocal rhythms, as well as Sensing activity because of becoming acutely aware of the sound nuances and mouth movements. For this reason I find it really beneficial sometimes!

My Story of being introduced to Beatboxing...

Let me share with you my introduction to beatboxing. When I was a sophomore in high school several years ago, I was in a class with a hispanic guy who, before each class, would sit at his desk and create these interesting beats with his mouth. I had never heard it before. I asked how he did it, and he would just reply by doing more beats. Something about it enchanted me, and I wanted to learn it myself. So when I was home I would try to create the bass thump sound in my throat. I naturally have a low voice, so the tones were easy to reach, and soon I discovered how to get the bass to pop nicely. Then I tried adding a "tssss" cymbal sound, and within a year or so I developed a decent ability to make beats.

There was something very satisfying about gaining control over vocal sounds and improvisationally making rhythms, but I wanted to expand. I learned how to create a more unique set of sounds beyond drums; some with a distorted guitar or techno sound, or of a completely original nature. At random times I would just start beatboxing, and before long I learned I could produce strings of melodic tones while doing the beats, thus enabling me to beatbox some songs.

In the past year or so, I'd say I've developed the skill to a pretty satisfying level, simply because of how much I've practiced over the years, and because of how enthused I am about mastering the vocalizations. The most recent addition I've added to the beatboxing is creating overtones with the beats, which is like creating a harmonic tone along with the vocal chord tone through adjusting the airway projection inside the mouth. Overtones are difficult, but immensely difficult to do while creating other rhythmic sounds, but the challenge is exciting.

There are few things in life I enjoy quite as much as the simple pleasure of beatboxing and getting into a zone where the rhythms come out nicely.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Not very well. But my grandmother (crazy ESFx) urged me to do so for my great-grandmother's (mean-as-hell INTJ) birthday.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not very well. But my grandmother (crazy ESFx) urged me to do so for my great-grandmother's (mean-as-hell INTJ) birthday.
And did you? How did it go? What is your beatboxing like?

I thought for sure that there would be a lot of other INFP beatboxers! It is so enjoyable once you get into it, and I think it draws upon our strengths :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I can if I wanted to... I don't do it much unless someone asks... When I do beatbox its usually so someone can rap or something so it's never that complicated. With music I'm more in tune with the beat/bass than the forward rhythm or melody anyway. Where I'm from we're really into bass and drums so it's better to just make a beat with your fists.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Not officially because I lack any talent in a musical direction. But i find myself often consciously or absent-mindedly producing voiced or hand made rhythmical sounds. I have a thing with rhythm and its a very important part in the music I enjoy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like to beatbox to songs every now and then. I never really thought to refine the skill or anything, maybe I will.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If I was male, I would probably beatbox. But I'm a girl, and well--- making clicking noises with your mouth is just not lady like. SO! I hum and tap on things. (Also not very lady-like, but we compromise). I've noticed that music-making helps when I'm studying--- this definitely makes sense now with what you've said about the S and J functions!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I can't beatbox worth a quack... But I do hum and make some 'sounds' but just not as fast or complicated as someone would when they do beatboxing.

It's interesting to see YouTube videos on people beatboxing... That said, this man is super amazing:

YouTube - amazing beat box man

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I require a constant beat going through me at all times, most of the time I beatbox if no music is present. I'm not the best but I can carry a solid beat. I just go better through non-stop practice over the years.

Sometimes I can't though, my gag reflex is crazy :tongue:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I beat box... all the time.
I have too do something creative or I go into my head.
and thats fine too, it's just that you can only dream so much before you have to do something about it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
And did you? How did it go? What is your beatboxing like?

I thought for sure that there would be a lot of other INFP beatboxers! It is so enjoyable once you get into it, and I think it draws upon our strengths :)
I did okay, better than I expected. But it's hard for me to decide on just one beat consistently... I keep wanting to change it up all the time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so happy to hear about you other beatboxing INFPs! There is something comforting about knowing that I'm not the only person out there that does this. Would any of you be courageous enough to record a sample? I might in the near future when I get a recording mic...but I don't have one now. But I would like to hear how other INFPs choose to beatbox.

The reason I think it's so interesting is because how a person chooses to beatbox can say a lot about them...they are producing rhythm, textures, tones, and a distinct vocal attitude all from within them. What would an ENTJ or ISFJ beatboxer sound like compared to an INFP? I wonder. I'd like to know.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am so happy to hear about you other beatboxing INFPs! There is something comforting about knowing that I'm not the only person out there that does this. Would any of you be courageous enough to record a sample? I might in the near future when I get a recording mic...but I don't have one now. But I would like to hear how other INFPs choose to beatbox.

The reason I think it's so interesting is because how a person chooses to beatbox can say a lot about them...they are producing rhythm, textures, tones, and a distinct vocal attitude all from within them. What would an ENTJ or ISFJ beatboxer sound like compared to an INFP? I wonder. I'd like to know.
You have a fascination with the correlation between personality and sound, it seems.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have a fascination with the correlation between personality and sound, it seems.
Lol yes, this is true. Actually, I have a fascination with the correlation between anything and everything, but sound intrigues with endlessly. I have a fascination with the effect of sound upon matter, cymatics, as it is called.

I tend to think that anything a person exudes can tell me something about their personality, and even their experiences. If I listen to a person sing, sometimes I realize I understand them in many ways. So I'm curious to see what beatboxing can tell me about a person. By knowing a person's personality type before I listen to them beatbox would help me to make the connections and find the underlying patterns more readily.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can't do it at all myself, but I certainly appreciate those who do it well. Like this guy, who does it while playing a flute:

YouTube - hotel crazyness...

Reactions: rowingineden
1 - 15 of 15 Posts