Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
That's pretty interesting though. But I have a question about it: If you were to entirely be nourished from smell alone and not through taste, hearing etc. would the pleasure/happiness it brings be enough to satisfy, or would it be a souless, depressing experience? Half the reason I eat sweet foods or chocolate isn't really for the texture, but the chocolate/caramel/sugar etc. raises my mood in their own way. If I survived only on smell, would it be as fun (or bring to an emotional high?) It's the same for music.

Sorry to journey off on a tangent there. It's an interesting article. I don't think I would like to try that without eating or drinking for several weeks.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty interesting though. But I have a question about it: If you were to entirely be nourished from smell alone and not through taste, hearing etc. would the pleasure/happiness it brings be enough to satisfy, or would it be a souless, depressing experience? Half the reason I eat sweet foods or chocolate isn't really for the texture, but the chocolate/caramel/sugar etc. raises my mood in their own way. If I survived only on smell, would it be as fun (or bring to an emotional high?) It's the same for music.

Sorry to journey off on a tangent there. It's an interesting article. I don't think I would like to try that without eating or drinking for several weeks.
I understand whatcha mean. And YES! I do think smell can give pleasure.
The thing is, though, that today, we are bombarded by all sorts of smells (gasoline, air conditioner, and I'm sure many things give off smells that we may not be aware of). Over time I am sure our sense of smell weakens.
But today, we can just go smell shopping.
It's free.
Try it, and see if it gives you pleasure.
Next time you wanna eat or listen to music, see if it substitutes.
Lol
But you gotta believe it, first and foremost :eek:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a theory that maybe you could kid your body that it was getting exercise by just thinking about exercise rather than having to bother to actually go and do it. You could then get fit whilst lazing around. I wasn't totally convinced by my theory but I still try it now and then, not sure how well it works as I'm over weight and puff if I have to run for a bus. But I did read an article by some scientist who had done research on the subject. Not sure how well I would do by living on smell alone. After smelling the pie I rather think I wouldn't have the self control not to eat it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
MY SOUL HAS A SMELL?
A SWEET SMELL?
Wooow. Why don't corpses smell sweet and pure, eh? HUMMM? Maybe I should go ask some cannibals if human meat freshly cooked has a pleasant and pure smell?

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a theory that maybe you could kid your body that it was getting exercise by just thinking about exercise rather than having to bother to actually go and do it. You could then get fit whilst lazing around. I wasn't totally convinced by my theory but I still try it now and then, not sure how well it works as I'm over weight and puff if I have to run for a bus. But I did read an article by some scientist who had done research on the subject. Not sure how well I would do by living on smell alone. After smelling the pie I rather think I wouldn't have the self control not to eat it.
Do you have a link to that study?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really want to try that. I'm going to have to wait until I'm older though. My parents would probably not allow it.

Next time I'm hungry for a snack, I'm going to try to smell something... Are we supposed to feel satisfied physically or... 'soully'?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
No! Although the act of smelling involves breathing and breathing is a very important part of staying alive, you also need to eat and drink. There are many reports of people dying after not eating and drinking for a prolonged period of time. Even if you're an INFP, you must eat and drink regularly, in order to stay alive. I'm going to go eat something, right now!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think it was intended to matter if someone was INFP or not. I think the article is saying that there are some people who can nourish their physical body through smell.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I believe it. :)
Last weekend I visited another INFP's party. It was her twins' birthday, one was an INTJ and the other is an INFP. I watched the INFP little boy smelled this other INFP's woman's hair. :) I smiled when I saw that cos I know he felt more comfortable playing with her than the other kids, and her mom caught him doing that, then he stopped. Lol... He also likes to touch her dyed blonde hair too, cos I think he found it fascinating that her supposed black hair is blonde...

He's only 3. I noticed this actually... He can also sense danger or angriness from others and he doesn't go near those people, but he feels very happy with this INFP's lady's presence. I thought this was fascinating...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I kinda don't get how anybody could believe in this. If you could sustain yourself from *scent*, then why have so many people died of famine?

I mean... what - oh, if only all those people in North Korea would just open their noses more and take a good hard whiff!

The only way that scent might possibly sustain you is if you inhaled chunks of food into your nose and then swallowed it. Not a pleasant form of sustenance.

The article claims that early humans didn't eat or drink. I'd love to see the archaeological evidence for this. Quoting a random quote from Pliny hardly counts as hard evidence - half the European travelers once thought dragons lived everywhere they hadn't landed, and could've sworn that the Americas didn't exist.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It also states that you should be able to survive by breathing through the pores of your skin. This is false and you can test it. Hold your nose while keeping your mouth closed and see what happens. If you think the reason you're suffocating is because you're not spiritual enough, then read your favourite religious text or pray while you do it. It still won't work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Calm down, I'm not agreeing with that part. All I said was it would be interesting to try and see if it would 'satisfy' hunger. And, if you were to actually read my posts, what you are arguing against, you would realize that I said I do understand it not being spiritual.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
And, if you were to actually read my posts, what you are arguing against,
Don't know if you just mean Luke, or me too or something, but I wasn't replying to anyone in particular. For that matter, neither Luke nor I mentioned *any* of the posters, so I don't believe we were specifically replying to anyone here.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Calm down, I'm not agreeing with that part. All I said was it would be interesting to try and see if it would 'satisfy' hunger.
I think it would only be interesting in a very morbid way. If you do try it, then please thoroughly document your crazy quest. That way others can learn from your mistakes.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really want to try that. I'm going to have to wait until I'm older though. My parents would probably not allow it.

Next time I'm hungry for a snack, I'm going to try to smell something... Are we supposed to feel satisfied physically or... 'soully'?
Physically

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alright. It is morning for me where I am, and I haven't had anything to eat. I'm a breakfast person, and get very light-headed when I don't have it. Right now I am sniffing a large canister of peanuts. I was thinking if I get the same nourishment, I should start my day off with a lot of protein if I am going to try this. Also, they have a strong scent. (I probably won't be able to try it for dinner, for my I still have parents, and that wouldn't turn out too well.

I woke up with that empty gurgle feeling in my stomach, but I know longer have the empty feeling. I don't feel exactly 'full' but now that I stopped smelling I'm getting hungry again. Am I supposed to be smelling it constantly?

What is the deal with water in this?

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright. It is morning for me where I am, and I haven't had anything to eat. I'm a breakfast person, and get very light-headed when I don't have it. Right now I am sniffing a large canister of peanuts. I was thinking if I get the same nourishment, I should start my day off with a lot of protein if I am going to try this. Also, they have a strong scent. (I probably won't be able to try it for dinner, for my I still have parents, and that wouldn't turn out too well.

I woke up with that empty gurgle feeling in my stomach, but I know longer have the empty feeling. I don't feel exactly 'full' but now that I stopped smelling I'm getting hungry again. Am I supposed to be smelling it constantly?

What is the deal with water in this?
I don't condone actually trying to live off only smells, or smells and water. You will die.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts