Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
All the photos that are strewn throughout the house and the potrait of a boat in the lake on my bedroom wall were put there by my SJ mother, the lovely dictator that she is. My sister has stickers and posters up the inside of her bedroom door. My two brothers and I have no posters, art or pictures that belong to us specifically. I have virtually no photos of me at all, just one of me when I was 5 that just happens to be in my draw. I don't even keep photos of loved ones either. I keep all my memories, my works of art and my stories inside my own mind and I don't really see the need to have them out in the open. It's much more richer and colourful in there.

What about yourself, Rainbow?

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the photos that are strewn throughout the house and the potrait of a boat in the lake on my bedroom wall were put there by my SJ mother, the lovely dictator that she is. My sister has stickers and posters up the inside of her bedroom door. My two brothers and I have no posters, art or pictures that belong to us specifically. I have virtually no photos of me at all, just one of me when I was 5 that just happens to be in my draw. I don't even keep photos of loved ones either. I keep all my memories, my works of art and my stories inside my own mind and I don't really see the need to have them out in the open. It's much more richer and colourful in there.

What about yourself, Rainbow?
I have a few nice paintings up, but for the most part the walls are bare. I have been given quite a few things to put on the walls but I end up just saving them in a closet lol. Not that I don't like the gifts but I feel like having too much clutter on the walls spills into my mental space. Plus, my walls are all sorts of different bright rich colors. They are pretty as they are! :)
And I too don't put any pictures of the past. Too focused on the now and the future to stop and take a look at the past!! urgh! :p

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Mostly decorative stuff, but yes. I'd like to get more actual art. I don't hang posters up much anymore (too teenage), but I do have one Siouxsie Sioux one that I love.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
5,178 Posts
Yes, but not as much as I wish. Some old people's appartments that I have visited had walls covered in paintings, I'd quite like that, perhaps not everywhere, but some wall. I would like more paintings, but it is so expensive with good ones, and usually in second hand shops etc the paintings are terrible.

I have:
-some things I cut out from magazines and calenders I liked(two by this artist),
-a little round flyer I found somewhere, I think for some theatrething, but not sure, It means a lot to me, it is silver and says "Det verkar som verklighet" which means... damn, not translatable, "it seems like reality", but verkar is ambigous, and means acts/works, and verklighet means reality, but is made from the verb verkar, so "actlikeness" or something as well. I keep it by the mirror.
-a few little drawings I made myself, they speak to me somehow even if they are not very good, I guess I planted a lot of my feelings in them when doing them
-some books I like the cover of leaning against the wall
-a 3D picture with three motives in it depending from what angle you look at it. It feels magical, sometimes it even looks like light comes from within it.
-etc

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I had quite a few in my room at college. I had a Nirvana poster with the members of the band in black and white, two Alphonse Mucha posters (Autumn from one of the Seasons series and I forget what the other one was of), a poster for the movie Another State of Mind (about hardcore punk in the 1980s), an A Tribe Called Quest poster, and a poster of Effy Stonem from Skins. I also had a poster from DeviantArt that my friend got me for my 16th birthday, which had a row of silhouetted penguins and one of them had a mohawk :) And I had one of Angela Chase from My So-Called Life and one of the painting "The Storm" by Pierre-August Cot, but they fell down and got ripped sadly :(

Plus I had a bulletin board with a calendar and a bunch of random stuff (like this drawing of a snake my friend drew and gave to me which I still have, random postcards from my friend, concert tickets, a picture of Guy Picciotto of Fugazi singing while hanging upside down from a basketball hoop, pictures of various fashion-related things, etc.)

Here's the problem with posters -- they would CONSTANTLY fall down and every time they fell down and I had to put them back up, they would get more wrinkled, ripped, and generally destroyed. That's why I sadly had to throw all my posters away when I left college. I want to get some art prints to put on our walls now that my fiance and I are getting my own apartment, but everything has to be framed so that won't happen again. Otherwise it's just a waste of money.

I don't have much on my walls right now because my current living situation is cramped enough as it is, but a few things have made their way up there. I have three calendars (one with various protein structural models that I got at a work conference LOL, one with rescue animals, and one with horses), the aforementioned snake drawing that my friend did for me, a couple of pictures of me and my fiance, two cards with beautiful nature drawings, and a couple of other random things. When we move some of that stuff will go into a memento box instead of on the wall, and I think I will probably install a bulletin board over my desk or something to put other random things on.

When we move I want to have a fair bit of art. I want to get a Mucha print again (one of the Seasons series) and Pierre-Auguste Cot's "The Storm" again, and the snake drawing of course, and I definitely want the Guy Picciotto hanging from a basketball hoop picture on my bulletin board. And I definitely want some David Hockney prints, maybe for the bathroom or something. I also have this embroidered framed sort of sampler thing that my brother gave me that has flowers and butterflies on it, it's really 80s looking and I like it a lot, but I have nowhere to hang it right now so it's just propped against the wall.

So in a word: yes.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just recently pulled all my posters down.
The only things left to decorate my walls are two paintings my father did and a yin and yang symbol in graffiti style made by myself

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Yes, everything has to be framed (unless it's a canvas with the sides painted), I dislike posters because they look teenagey & make the space look unkempt to my eyes, which makes me nervous. If I saw a poster that I absolutely loved, I would have to frame it to feel comfortable with it on my walls.
I frame replicas of my favourite paintings, mostly done by John Anster Fitzgerald, Rien Poortvliet, Svein Solem, John Atkinson Grimshaw. I like Van Gogh too. And whatever illustrations I can find of some of my favourite books and plays, most notably A Midsummer Night's Dream. I have at least 5 different illustrations of the fairies in my bedroom by different authors.
I also hang up my own canvas paintings, made by me I mean.

Everything rotates in my house, because I like to feel the home refreshed often. So every 2-3 months I change the images in the frames.

As for photos, I don't like to have pictures of the people I know or my family inside my home, not even my own pictures. Maybe one day, if I get to live completely alone, I will put pics of my family in the livingroom, who knows, but I don't feel like that's a good idea. My home is such a sacred place, full of fantasy and everything that exists in my inner world, that I don't want to bring "reality" into it. If I want to see my loved ones' faces I will ring them up and meet somewhere, or have them come to my house for a drink. But I don't want them staring at me from all corners in my Wonderland.

I realise this makes me sound like I am unhinged. But whatever xD

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
No.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
It's not excessive, is it? But an interesting variety of things:

• A pair of solid hickory pre-war skis with leather bindings
  • Around the skis are single pictures of me, my wife, my mom, and my dad all skiing and my late friend climbing sea cliffs.
  • A map of Hokkaido
  • An antique map of the world
  • An antique globe
  • A couple of Gwen Frostic lithographs
  • A painting of a vinyard
  • A framed pastel of the Alhambra in Granada
  • A few other paintings and photographs
  • Some family pictures
  • Scattered around are several guitars and a kalimba
In my cave are lots of little things tacked up on the walls:

• A poster with a picture of me skiing from a fundraiser for the local avalanche forecast center a few years ago
  • The same poster different year with a another friend of mine who passed away in the mountains on it
  • A Silverton Mountain trail map
  • Some Ainu wood carvings from Hokkaido
  • Bunches of retired climbing gear
  • A couple of ultramarathon medals
  • A sign that says CAUTION! Avalanche blasting may occur at any time. Do not touch any projectiles you find.
  • Another sign that says Cognitive Hazard
  • A very well equipped and creatively designed work bench
  • About 20 pairs of skis

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have three small art pieces (cross-stitched owls from a thrift store, and some kind of metal bird family and a wood-carved mouse that I really have no clue where they came from) and a washi tape butterfly that I did in this little hallway before my bedroom, and what's actually in there is a mess. xD National Geographic tear-out pages, periodic table, Earth Day poster, random drawings from friends, cons, myself, etc., pictures from the top flap of wall calendars.

·
Registered
335 Posts
In my dorm this year I have a poster of the original 1922 world map from National Geographic (polar regions unexplored XD) which I randomly bought in an airport, plus a few postcards I bought from various places in Europe, birthday/Christmas cards, and a poem I love scribbled on the back of an envelope.
And I have 2 half-finished drawings we did in art class up, but only because I didn't know where else to put them.
And obviously a cute personified food calendar.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a single anime poster and an advernture time poster up right now. I'm too lazy to take anything down :tongue:. It's like they've found a home on my wall. I have a calendar from 2009 hanging up on one wall still reading "September". I used to have a lot of band posters but, I lost interest in putting those up after college :rolleyes:.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts