Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like quite the idiot. I desperately wish that I was a quiet person that didn't talk about my feelings all the time!!! I hate that I do that. I was in someone's presence who I admire for that ability to hold their feelings all in and never let the world know what they're feeling. The entire time I talked and talked and talked (I do that when I get nervous/uncomfortable around someone I admire) and I felt like quite the fool afterward. During the entire two hours the person said probably ten words while I said a thousand and I'm still kicking myself for being such a motor mouth and obsessing that I came across as a talkative fool (i'm a deep person. i hate to be seen as a fool).

Do any of you obsess over things like this or am I the only idiot?? :blushed:

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I try not to think about the past much. I'm a future-oriented person, and I do best when I keep that mindset.

It's tert Si popping up to remind you of what has been through a very subjective lens, and so everything is given a negative value judgment by Fi, which is holding your behavior up to some impossible ideal. If I think about the past, it's just to learn and move on. I no longer evaluate it in the way where I agonize over every little detail and beat myself up. That's the Fi-Si loop for an INFP, and it's unhealthy. I let Ne keep Si in check - whatever it reminds me of is to be used to move forward, not dwell.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a tendency to dwell on the past. Just remember that the past is past, there is nothing you can do to change what happened. If I say something stupid, I try to just get over it, it was already said.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Oh, I definitly obsess and dwell on the past. I do try to look forward to an extent but some things are hard to let go of. I obsess to the point where its pretty much neurotic to do so. I am not good at letting things go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I try not to think about the past much. I'm a future-oriented person, and I do best when I keep that mindset.

It's tert Si popping up to remind you of what has been through a very subjective lens, and so everything is given a negative value judgment by Fi, which is holding your behavior up to some impossible ideal. If I think about the past, it's just to learn and move on. I no longer evaluate it in the way where I agonize over every little detail and beat myself up. That's the Fi-Si loop for an INFP, and it's unhealthy. I let Ne keep Si in check - whatever it reminds me of is to be used to move forward, not dwell.
Thank you for this wonderful reply! I guess I should familiarize myself with the functions and learn how the work/operate.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Oh, I definitly obsess and dwell on the past. I do try to look forward to an extent but some things are hard to let go of. I obsess to the point where its pretty much neurotic to do so. I am not good at letting things go.
It's hard to break.... the mindset can really bog you down. I'm not entirely sure what got me out of the Fi-Si loop. I sort of wonder if it was some shadow Ni epiphany - a sudden realization of what is needed for my future. Like some sort of survival mindset taking over to prevent a meltdown. Then Ne happily kicked in & kept me moving forward in life. It just occurred to me the other day that I don't dwell on the past much anymore. It's very liberating. On the other hand, I don't feel like I haven't learned from the past. I suppose this is just usage of tertiary Si maturing....

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Over regrets? I do obsess over regrets, trying to mend them after it's too late..But I"m working on that. Slowly but surely.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I feel like quite the idiot. I desperately wish that I was a quiet person that didn't talk about my feelings all the time!!! I hate that I do that. I was in someone's presence who I admire for that ability to hold their feelings all in and never let the world know what they're feeling. The entire time I talked and talked and talked (I do that when I get nervous/uncomfortable around someone I admire) and I felt like quite the fool afterward. During the entire two hours the person said probably ten words while I said a thousand and I'm still kicking myself for being such a motor mouth and obsessing that I came across as a talkative fool (i'm a deep person. i hate to be seen as a fool).

Do any of you obsess over things like this or am I the only idiot?? :blushed:
Have you seen how much I spammed the INFP forum? :tongue:

You're not the only one who feels and experiences like that :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I've learned to let it go. Pretty much immediately now. But it's taken me most of my life to learn how.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Obsess. Go over it for ages and ages.
I usually try to keep as quiet as possible, because I've learned that most of the time, when I do open my mouth, I regret it. I try and choose my words very carefully to be as unassuming as possible. I've regretted the things I've actually done, more than I've ever regretted missed opportunities (or rather, missed failures). It's kind of a bad mentality...but yeah

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep, I definitely obsess over regrets. I'm always trying to improve myself so I can be better to those around me, so when I make a stupid decision, i think about it night day, trying to take it apart, trying to figure out what in the hell caused my mindset to do that particular action.

Another thing, I can recall just about every error that I make with relative ease, going back years, and then wind up tossing and turning over it. I'm a very self critical person ;o

·
Registered
820 Posts
I used to obsess for weeks about things like that! Then I realized that life is much easier if you just learn to let go so I did.

But hey, even if the person would think you're a talkative fool, what's the worst that could happen? No one will die because of that so it can't be that bad. Besides it's alright to be talkative and a fool. Probably he just thought it was cute. And if he didn't, well that's his problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am loving all of your replies :crazy: Man do I get you guys! I'm so happy that I found out about the MBTI/INFP thing. :laughing:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I tend to obsess however i'm working on that, I just try to stay positive and understand that was yesterday and I need to keep my self in the present. Easier said then done though :p!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts