Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
In another forum (a german one, btw) somenone came up with the statement that INFPs hate it to be categorized (to be put into a box), and that, thats the cause for the lack of INFPs on Forums/Communitys (he mentioned Facebook) compared to INFJs and INTJs.
I mean, it really sounds logical that Js like categories, but I dont think that INFPs have a problem with that thing. or, do you have?
So, for myself, thats not the case...

but my these is that especially INFPs enjoy that categorize, couse its just another way to learn something about themselves. And, at least myself is always thirsting for such possibilitys.. ;)
And, of course, a lot of INFPs mentioned that psychologist would be a interesting job... and MBTI is just a kind of psychology, isnt it? ;)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
ENTPs hate to be Categorized and you have 3 ENTPs (maybe 4) here.

Reactions: MatchaBlizzard

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
I'm sure this refers to everybody because the majority of people like to think that they are "special" when in fact we all fit into a category. As for the lack of INFP's in the forum notion, INFP's are the majority in this forum.:tongue::tongue:

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
There are more INFPs than INFJs. That tells me that it's more about avoiding self-disclosure, with some dose of dislike of categorization. I prefer to keep personal details to myself. I want to be known for me, not for my type or something else, and I certainly don't want to be known at large for characteristics that might be judged negatively. Then there's the fact that many INFPs aren't often motivated to talk, making it disappointing and not surprising that the majority of members are INFP but the majority of posts might not be from INFPs. So I have less reason to talk :(

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
To bump an old thread which I think is pretty good..

I hate to be categorised I think not as an INFP but as a P or Ni/Pe. I create my own perception by using my intuition and if people judge me on something they categorize me, I think it must be by using their judgment/sensing because that would be the only way you can categorize someone.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think labeling/categorizing is helpful. We use labels all day long in our language (even if it's just labeling trees or houses). They keep us from going into sensory overload. It's easier to remember someone as "the quiet, reserved one" than to memorize every aspect of their personality and then refuse to call them anything for fear of putting them in a box.

They are a useful organizational tool, so long as we remember people are more than their stereotypes. Unless the labels are pure slander (i.e., spreading rumors about someone being a slut, etc) I don't think it is anything to get upset over.

I appreciate the mental tidiness they provide me with. :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
They are a useful organizational tool, so long as we remember people are more than their stereotypes.
Yeah I suppose that's the biggest problem I meet with some people.

Reactions: Stolen

·
Registered
616 Posts
They're definitely constricting if taken too seriously, but on the flip side, there is often more than a grain of truth in stereotypes. The purpose of stereotypes isn't to say "these people are all exactly the same" but to say "there is something that all of these people have in common."

With almost 7 billion people in the world, I try not to feel like my individuality is threatened by the fact that I have something in common with some of them. :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
They're definitely constricting if taken too seriously, but on the flip side, there is often more than a grain of truth in stereotypes. The purpose of stereotypes isn't to say "these people are all exactly the same" but to say "there is something that all of these people have in common."

With almost 7 billion people in the world, I try not to feel like my individuality is threatened by the fact that I have something in common with some of them. :)
Very good point...I am speechless :tongue:. I do feel the same way about stereotyping, somewhere :laughing:

·
Registered
318 Posts
In my personal experience, the group that most hates to be "categorized" are the "SP's"...not the NF's... typically the NF's will see the value in the categories and also make the distinction between individuals and categories... The SP's that I've met and conversed with seem to almost without exception detest categorization of any kind preferring to believe instead in the individualism of every person, believing that there are no categories of temperment and that each person must be evaluated as an individual.

That's just my personal experience.

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
I don't like being labelled. I don't like people categorising me as this or that, or like them... Don't put me in a box.
Especially when you don't know me! And even more so if you do! Which you don't!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've personally got no problem with categorization when others apply it to me; I don't see it as being especially important or all-encompassing, more of their making an observation based on what they see of me, and I really don't find it particularly irritating.

What I do have a problem with, in terms of categorization, is when someone sees something in only black and white terms; that is to say, someone expects the solution to be a simple yes/no, or merely one of two extremes. For example, I have one friend whose personality type I have no idea of, yet he seems only to think there are two possible outcomes to any situation, and weighs both as being equally probable. It's kind of difficult to explain, but things like that irritate me; there are so many options for any given situation, and simplifying it is so...bland. I don't think feelings, thoughts, dreams, aspirations, goals, people, or anything is at all simple. It's all complex, and beautiful, and wonderful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally, I don't mind categories. Maybe because I don't think of them as absolute and restrictive boundaries, and I recognise that in any given category there is variation. I tend to think the category is a part of me rather than I am the category. People are obviously much more complex than the simple stereotypes associated with categories. With this view in mind, I find categories helpful in understanding myself, and others too. It also means that categorisation doesn't threaten my desire to be individualistic either.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I like exploring them myself but react in a volatile manner when others label me and I don't agree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts