Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do other INFP's deal with stress? -Particularly with stress from work and social interaction.

My situation:
To gain recognition and possible future work, I have taken on (voluntarily) a huge organizational task only loosely related to my true professional goal. I am having to meet with many people, conduct interviews, schedule and coordinate all kinds of things with all kinds of people... and I am working closely with a person who clearly doesn't understand the heart of this, who doesn't pay attention to details they don't consider important and who keeps altering my work. But I have to work with them.

Note -These tasks WILL gain me recognition, although not so much for my desired field (writing). BUT, this could lead to employment down the road.

You should know: I live a pretty simple life and I have never been an ambitious person AT ALL. In fact, I have generally always been known as the slacker that was wasting a great many talents. I have run from professional opportunities in the past. I'd continue to be completely content with my lack of financial/job stability if I did not need money to:
1. eat and have shelter
2. ideally see a doctor or dentist one day.
3. Have the money to take care of my parents one day.

Plus, it'd sure be nice to have a creative job and not be schlepping boxes in a warehouse anymore abusing my body with no health insurance. I'd really love a creative job, but have bad A.D.D. and never did well in school, so I've been stuck in jobs that really didn't fit me for the past 10 years.

I hate the spotlight and being in front of people. I'm also a very private person. I just moved here six months ago and have no friends... well, not what I would consider 'friends' that I could talk to.

It does not help that I am a perfectionist and not good at trusting others and delegating tasks. -If I could, I'd do everything on this project myself. I think I'm trying anyway.

I am highly introverted. Unfortunately, the side of my industry I am currently working on is highly collaborative. ...although I can turn on the charm and fool others (and myself) for short periods of time. - and I've been doing an amazing job of that lately (I honestly didn't know I had it in me). But with two weeks to go, I cannot shake the incredible urge to withdraw and let everything fall to pieces. Were it not for the fact that others are involved and excited about this project and counting on me, I'd drop it without hesitation.

I constantly want to scream and run away.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi BrokenSticks!

Whenever I have to start something new in life, which involves getting to know new people, or learning to play by the rules of a new structure, I get really stressed, since like you I'm pretty introverted and I like my independence (I don't like too much structure). The stress is so strong, in fact, that it is almost unbearable. I don't sleep at night, and I can almost get sick. Like you I want to scream and run away!

Unfortunately there's no magic trick, there's no easy way out... You have to persevere and hang on; the waiting is horrible, and taking on all those tasks will be difficult, but once you find your bearings, things will quickly get better, I'm sure.

When the stress is really unbearable, why not try to curl up in bed with a book, or watch a movie you like, or take a bath with a glass of wine, or if you're feeling more outgoing, go and see one of your friends... Immerse yourself in whatever you find meaningful - art, beauty, friendships - and hopefully that will help you get through the harder moments.

Hang on there! I'm sure you'll be okay. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
A good book or video game for me. My earliest memory is the first time I played a computer game, and my first novel was The Hobbit in 1st grade. Both have been the most staple activities of my life and I feel more comfortable with them than anything else. They can also offer sense of fulfillment and accomplishment in their own ways.

Lately I find Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl really appeals to my introverted side like nothing else in the world. Roaming the abandoned ruins of the Chernobyl aftermath is so darkly beautiful and the feeling of freedom, isolation, and independence is such a breath of fresh air after being surrounded by people with demands all day.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I talk to people I love.. people who I know appreciate me. Ask them for advice and have them comfort me. And when I have a lot of tasks, I try to take them on one at a time. Instead of thinking "omg I have 1, 2 and 3 due" I think "okay lets get 1 done.. and then we'll try 2". Just trying to not get overwhelmed.

End it all with a hot shower and nice music/food. oh and kitties to pet.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Lately I find Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl really appeals to my introverted side like nothing else in the world. Roaming the abandoned ruins of the Chernobyl aftermath is so darkly beautiful and the feeling of freedom, isolation, and independence is such a breath of fresh air after being surrounded by people with demands all day.
@Moby I thought of you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts