Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am a 13 year old INFP who ever since I can remember wanted to be a Marine. (Except for in Kindergarden in which I wanted to be a cop.) I don't know why, but ever since I was young I wanted to serve my country, be remembered, and "Go out with a bang" . I have enrolled in NJROTC for a course next year in high school and I was wondering, is it uncommon for INFP's to join, (DONT try to change my mind for I WILL NOT change it!!) But I have heard that INFP's are the worst military types and I was wondering, what would the forum think? So thoughts? Veterans?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why not? The Marines could always use INFPs. I'm guessing that if it's a mistake for you to be involved, you will know as you progress through the early stages of ROTC. You don't have to sign your life away early on, right? (I don't know much about the enrollment process). But if you like it, go for it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Damn, I wish I could serve in the armed forces! To serve my country and my family. I would love that. And no, I am not romanticizing war - I KNOW war personally. The smells, sounds and agony. But hell, I would love to serve!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
There's this Discovery Channel series called "Surviving the Cut" - they show how the military get their recruits. They have an episode on snipers, rangers, marines, seals etc. It's pretty rough, I'm sure I don't have the physical build for any of the things they put those men through xD Oh here's a promo:

Surviving The Cut: Surviving the Cut Promo : Video : Discovery Channel

Anyways. I think there's a couple of military INFP here on the forums but I forgot their names... I don't see them too often. Probably on duty? lol

INFP's may have a tough time in the military, because you're drilled to follow orders which may go against your personal values. I think most INFP's don't like the military because they don't like war, principally. How you handle being a military is still up to you though, you could become a really good military if you just work on it. Knowing yourself, more than just you being INFP, will definitely help you out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started training as a sniper. Then I applied to go to the Air Force where my heart lies. My commanding officer called me to a meeting and told me that they will not be taking my application further. The reason, was that my psychometric tests showed that I am not aggressive enough...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
13 years old? Not to pick on your resolve, some people find their purposes in life quite early, but you have a lot of shit to see before settling your eyes on the sights of a gun. Hell, you have a lot to see before even knowing who the fuck you are.

But if you really know yourself and are sure that this is the path you want to take, you shouldn't ask this question. I wouldn't. The right question here would be: "Am I fit for to be a marine?". INFP is just a personality type. You are a lot more than this.

And to answer your question - people need people to encourage them. Someone that says 'Mate, I'll be there through thick and thin. Do your thing'. I'm an INFP and I'm that kind of person. I want to encourage people to grow, and would enjoy entering the armed forces as a commanding officer. But as a commanding officer, you have to have the guts to lead - to put people in the place they deserve to be, to shoot down the enemy when needed. It all looks nice on the videogames, but could you do it?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There's a lot I could say here, but I'll keep it short and sweet.

My advice is forget the military for now and enjoy your youth. Explore, learn, and do as much as you can. If you're still interested in the Marines later on then so be it. I'll tell you right now though that it's not always about learning how to fight, doing your job, or glory. More than likely you'll have to deal with monotony as well and doing some redundant menial details. Also what you do depends on what jobs you get into. Study up and learn, it's important even for the military. Education can't be dismissed even if you set your sights on the Marines. (Seriously, you'll be taking the ASVAB, that is one of the two biggest determinants about what jobs you're qualified for when somebody enlists.)

Some other advice.....don't let this type indicator stuff stop you from doing what you want. I'm in the infantry as an INFP.....that's like the antithesis of a typical stereotype for this MBTI gig.

I will tell you that the camaraderie is second to none. Long as you're a good dude, you'll be accepted. Though there are some tradeoffs to that as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts