Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is my first thread on the forum so excuse me for the jumbled mess. I will try to make it as organized as possible :p

I was just curious whether there are an INFP's out there that have served, are currently serving, or have considered serving in the military?
I've been considering joining the Coast Guard for a little over a year now. I had never thought about military service until my brother in law approached me (he's a Coastie) and talked to me about it.
What appeals to me about military service is the experience. It's an opportunity to do some real tough work, as well as serving my country.
I'm 19 and I'm not interested in following my peers to college just yet. For 1 thing I don't know what I want to study in college and I just don't have the money for it right now. College seems like a waste of time and money if you don't know what you want to do.

My idea was to dedicate 4 years to the military. During that time I'll get some real world experience as well as having the satisfaction of knowing that I'm doing what I can for my country. After the Coast Guard I would go to college and work towards getting a real career.

So I guess my question is, what made you want to join the military?

What was your experience like?

And was it worth it?

And any other advice you might have would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

·
MOTM June 2012
9,449 Posts
Due to physical circumstances, I can't get accepted into the military.

However, if I didn't have the physical stuff going on, I would seriously consider training to become a Navy SEAL.

Not only would I be serving my country, but training to be able to endure extreme physical and mental challenges, facing my fears, becoming more disciplined, and being among the best of the best. Not only that, but if I were killed it would be serving my country and helping others versus dying in a car wreck or something stupid like that.

Reactions: Fhreed

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was just curious whether there are an INFP's out there that have served, are currently serving, or have considered serving in the military?

Yes, I served in the Army National Guard. Basic combat training and advanced training is the same as the regular army. The National Guard gets deployed more often since 9-11, so I spent some time in Germany in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and would have deployed to Iraq had I not developed type 1 diabetes.

I had good grades so the general question posed was "where are you going to college?" not "what are you doing after graduation?". So I enrolled as an undecided student and did one semester before I realized I had no idea what I wanted to do and could not justify continuing without figuring that out. Since I needed novel life experience to help with deciding and financial help the ARNG seemed like a good option both in terms of life experience and money for college.

Basic training pushed me farther physically than I'll ever be pushed again but then I've never been an athlete. However, I enjoyed the adventure and learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of through that experience. Having a strong will carried me farther at times than those who were physically stronger.

And was it worth it?

Yes. I still didn't know what to major in when I finally returned to college (still not sure I know..lol) but I was able to make a decision and complete a bachelors of science in the field that I am currently working in. Although I still ended up with loans the tuition money came in handy.

The coast guard sounds like a good option so if it is something you want to do then go for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey I'm a 19 year old INFP who is considering the military too :tongue:. I was considering the navy at first because I could travel around but the navy is too job centered for me. I've been trying to get into shape for the marines now so we'll see how that goes. My reasons for joining are similar to yours too(experience, improving myself, serving my country, etc). Sorry I can't offer more I'm in the same boat as you right now, but it's nice to see another 19 year old INFP going through the same decisions as me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
in the army. active duty, not too bad. gets better with time. makes you a stronger person. you wont become a mindless machine. its not what you think it is from movies and tv. dont love my job but would do it again. probably my favorite part of the military though is the cultural melting part of it. americas known as a melting pot but in reality its not. in the military youll live, work and hangout with people from all over. ive had great friends from all over the country because of the army. youll meet true characters here and there. heres some advice though, go with a three year contract instead of four. i did a four and although im about to get out when guys i came in with were getting out last year i was kicking myself in the ass for doing an extra year. if you like it stay in, if you dont, get out. either way its an interesting experience.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Positives: A brotherhood unknown to 99% of groups/ businesses in the united states. Honor in being part of something. Knowledge of how to be efficient.

Negatives: Fragments of knowledge, you dont always understand why you are doing something. Heirarchy, if you disagree with a policy, it is hard to get your idea across at times.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a mental health diagnosis and suspicious scars and now an infectious disease so I'm definitely on the shortlist of people they dont want, but if I didnt have those things with me and I was your age or even now I would definitely sign up especially for the coast guard. It would be a chance to travel, get some "real life experience", and when I'm done you've grown up a bit and have money for school.

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
I was in the Air Force for 11 years.
I was out of options. 21 & going in circles. My dad persuaded me to enlist. I was in for a surprise, had no idea what I was getting into. But it turned out well.

Was quite a journey. I was a different person after the first 3 years. I was at a point in life where I had no skills, education, training or direction & didn't know what to do with my life or what major I should choose for college, etc. I really had no other choice. The transition from that to the military was huge & within a few years I actually felt like an adult for the first time. I learned to make decisions, take responsibility, supervise & train people, etc. It was the hard push that I needed at the time.

And was it worth it?
For me, yes. I will say that after 11 years I was done & ready to move on. 9 more to retire would have become a grind for me. I was ready to make my own structure, not live within their's. The technical training I got helped me get the job I have now.

And any other advice you might have would be much appreciated. Thank you :)
The first thing I learned is that the military isn't supposed to be fair but the more rank you earn the more fair it gets. Rather Darwinian. It's not a place of comfort. It's about growing from adversity & defeating challenges. It's very structured, rigid & sometimes makes absolutely no sense at all so I had to remind myself I wasn't in an asylum sometimes :tongue: especially in boot camp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts